Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

the 4-bolt version is currently not available. Unfortunately I don't have info if and when it will be back in stock.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would have been great to know a few weeks ago when planning my build. I would have gone for an Ultegra crankset if I'd known this wasn't available... i went with Rotor purely for the P2M S 4-Bolt partmeter.

Is it gone for good or just out of stock? I.e. Do I wait for P2M S or do you recommend i go with another manufacturer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolas,

I raced a half-iron yesterday with my Type2 P2M/Edge 500 combo and had some strange readings. I suspect my P2M may have been mis-calibrated while sitting in T1, but that's just a guess. Normally my PM comes up on the Edge 500 with a -719 calibration bias, give or take 2, but yesterday it showed -746. I thought at the time it must be the temperature or something, so I didn't think twice about it. Well, I had an easy swim and came out of the water in great shape. A smooth transition took place without a high heart rate, buffoonery or silliness. Once I got out on the road however, it became immediately clear that sustaining 85% FTP (indicated) was exceedingly difficult. When I was hitting the target indicated wattage it felt to my legs like I was doing at close to, if not beyond FTP. It took me some time to come to the conclusion that I needed to ignore the PM, but I think I had gone 1/3 the race before throwing in the towel to try to hit my target normalized power. The rest of the bike leg was damage limitation mode, and was done entirely on feel.

I obviously had some good (real) power numbers, with a FoP amateur bike split, but the power that was both indicated and recorded was way, way off. Like I said, for about the first 1/3 of the bike leg I was trying to figure out whether it was just me having a bad day or the bad calibration of the power meter. I was under the impression that if I stopped pedaling for 2", the PM auto-zeroed, but that didn't happen for sure. I finished the windy and hilly half-iron bike leg sub-2h30m, but most tellingly as to there having been a problem, a calculated bTSS of only 132. As I said to my coach afterwards, I should have been sprinting the half-marathon instead of doing the Ironman Shuffle like I was doing, running off a 132 bTSS! I was running more like I had done a 190 half-iron bTSS.

I figure I was about 30W off, which means when I was hitting what I thought was 90%-95% FTP going up hills, I was closer to 102%-107% FTP, and when I was on the flats trying to maintain what is for me a comfortable 85% FTP, I was actually around 97% FTP. No wonder I overcooked the bike and had a horrible "run"!

Any ideas as to what happened?

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Jerseybigfoot: unfortunately I don't know what will happen there, as soon as I have news I will post something.

@djmercer: interesting question. I needed to think this through before giving you an answer.

From what you describe it sounds almost impossible to have had under readings: your zero offset was lower when you zero-d in the morning, when it was presumably cooler then when you normally zero. The Type S is very well behaved in terms of temperature and is pretty flat in the "typical" temperature ranges.

The thing is - a lower zero offset leads to higher readings, because the current torque value is (current value minus zero offset). The power meter also re-zeros every time you coast more than 2 seconds (provided you stop pedaling and don't turn the legs), so if your race way "normal" it will have re-zeroed a number of times during the race, which would have eliminated any wrong zero offset, and should have realigned the power to effort relationship. You should then have seen a big jump in numbers.

A question for you: how often have you raced at the target wattage levels to date? I am asking because personally the wattage I can achieve varies quite a bit depending on the day. For example, this april I did a 70.3 simulation at the end of the training camp and was about 15w higher than in a race I did 2 weeks later when I had tapered. Similarly on a long sportive ride this weekend, where I performed less strongly than at altitude in Boulder when I felt bad and was tired (note: I verified the data on steep climbs).

So I wouldn't exclude the possibility that it was a bad day, based on the fact that what you describe with the zero offset doesn't offer a plausible scenario leading to under reading. In my racing I try to take power, HR and RPE into account and act accordingly. When I am fresh and well tapered and the target wattage feels too easy I take it as a cap. On days where I can't hold the target wattage I don't force myself to hold the watts but let RPE and HR take precedence.

I hope this helps.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolas,

It makes absolutely no sense that I would have a bTSS of only 132 for a half-ironman, especially with a split of under 2.5 hours knowing what sort of power is required for me to hit that split on that course. I have trained at the target %FTP wattage all season without any surprises, and the cumulative bTSS has made complete sense during training. I trained to hit a target HIM bTSS of 170, and practiced running off that TSS. I've also hit higher and lower bTSS in training with transition runs off the bike and I can guarantee you if I had ran off a mere 132, it would have been a very comfortable and quick run. What my run was like was like an overcooked HIM bike leg, similar to what a ~190 bTSS felt like in training.

As far as having a bad day, it's a home race (literally - slept in my own bed and didn't have to get up until 5:30am), I was adequately tapered, had a good sleep the night before, ate a good breakfast, had a good start to the race with a very comfortable swim and had good mental/physical energy mounting the bike. There is no reason to have had a day this far off. Besides, the data just doesn't add up using my personal stats (bTSS132 <> 2h29m split). I don't wear a HRM during races, so I can't give that statistic, but my RPE was higher for sure, but the whole point of having a PM is to be able to work through these variances in perceived effort, because it is just that, a perception. I've done the work in training, I know my body well. My coach could tell you I'm almost too in tune with what is going on with my body and equipment, as most of my coach's athletes rely on him to spoon-feed them. That's not me. Perhaps a throwback from my Air Force days, I take every single training session as an opportunity to learn and pick apart the day to file away all the lessons I can glean from it.

Dave
Last edited by: djmercer: Jul 8, 14 10:47
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious, when I turn on my garmin and it calibrates the p2m everytime, what does the value displayed represent? Mine is usually nearly always around the same number?

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Whatleytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specifically, I don't know. Speculatively, it is the difference applied to the output of the power meter to create a zero value. That's just a guess though. That's a question best answered by a Garmin representative.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Polar and Suunto have switched to bluetooth communication and support power meters within a couple of months. We need more bluetooth power meter alternatives. I bet you would sell a lot if you added bluetooth to the power2max this fall. I would buy one.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Whatleytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Whatleytom, DJMercer: The number returned is the value the power meter measures when there is no torque being applied. It forms the basis for measurement.

Power is calculated the following way : torque x rpm x 2 x &#960;.

Torque = (measured value - zero offset value) x slope

@acco: I will pass it on to the engineers.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Power2Max,

I currently ride a 2012 Cervelo P2 with Shimano Ultegra 10 components. I currently have a compact 50/34 172.5mm.

What are the options of the Type S and Classic Power Meters I have? Also, are there any retailers that sell these in the Washington DC area or only available for purchase online through your website?

Thank you!

-E
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [tsoed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

for your P2 with Ultegra the Rotor 3D is the first choice as it fits straight in the existing bottom bracket. Both the Classic and the Type S are available and great choices.

Best is to order through our site.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicolas,

Thank you for your response. What is the difference between the 3D, 3DF, 3D plus? Also, what are the differences between the Classic and Type S?

-E
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [tsoed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

3D has a 24mm axle (for Shimano BBs)
3D+ has a 30mm axle (for BB30, PF30, BBRight, BB386EVO) and is CNC machined
3DF has a 30mm axle (like the 3D+) but is forged, thus heavier.

The Classic has the triangular battery compartment and is a bit heavier than the Type S (70g) and isnt as compatible with new frames (BB386EVO). Type S is also better compatible with aero chain rings (in compact)

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
power2max wrote:
Hi,

the 4-bolt version is currently not available. Unfortunately I don't have info if and when it will be back in stock.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best
Nicolas

Nicolas,

Any developments on the Shimano 4-bolt version??? I got the okay to order a power meter this week and was quite bummed to see this news.
Last edited by: cmeeks: Jul 21, 14 11:53
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [cmeeks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, nothing for the moment. The 5-bolt plus Praxis Works has great shifting, though. And on the upside, if ever you need to replace rings they are cheaper to get.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will Type S be available with BOR cranks?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [cpru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi cpru,

nothing planned in this regard.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, Nicolas.
I am based in the UK. I have damaged my right hand FSA Gossamer crank. I need to order a new one. Can you quote me the price and delivery time for a 170mm RH Gossamer crank for the classic P2M (Mk II with temp compensation) 130 BCD power meter.

Thanks, Dave.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Mr H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave,

Can you please contact support on the European site? They will sort you out.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks. I have contacted them via the website.

Dave.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nocolas

Is this the same type of power spinner used on both types of FSA krankset?

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tillquist,

yup, the power meter is the same between Gossamer and FSA K-Force Megaexo.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you

I have for FSA KForce Megaexo 130mm power2max on my road bike and then I would buy a FSA Grossamer 110mm power2max for my vinter bike.

The idea was so that I could swap power meter between the 2 krankset.

And I can so understand that I can, super :-D

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello, just looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking at getting a power meter in your sale. Currently on an argon 18 e118 with seam force crank at the moment. From looking online it looks like I need a bb 86 compatible bb. Just wondering if you have any experience with this bike and would know what I need? Thanks for your help, Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Joeb100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Joeb100,

the Argon E118 works fine, no problems there. I would recommend the Rotor 3D. You'll need to swap out the bearings, though, since SRAM uses GXP, which is different to the Shimano standard that Rotor follows.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply

Prev Next