Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bicyclist killed
Quote | Reply
Ahhh, I don't even know how to tell this story or why I'm telling it. Maybe because you all will understand it better than most.

Before I left work yesterday evening I saw a call on the board for a cyclist struck by a car and the location was about a mile from my house. The first thing I did was call Eric to find out where he was. Eric and I have rode together for about 15 years now and have done 5 Ironmans together. Thank God he anwered his phone. As the traffic team was rolling out of the station my stomach was in knots and my instinct was to grab a unit and haul ass out there, but I knew I had to stay away. Not my area of expertise and honestly, I didn't want to see it. I knew they would call me as I'm "that guy" in the station. Sure enough I got the call. Red Fuji bike and the rider was deceased. They gave me his name and at first I couldn't bring him to mind until they described him. I knew the guy who he was riding with though, as two of his brothers work for this department as well. Then it dawned on me. It was Matt. One of those hard corps riders who rides every day after he got off work at the local Home Depot. I had met him on the parkway several times and had to suck his wheel each time to keep up with him even though he's in his mid 50's. I recalled the first time I ran into him on the Parkway. I was dying and needed a lift back home. He was coming the other way, so I cut across the median to grab his wheel. We talked a bit as he commented on my tri-bike and then he put the hammer down. He graciously let me suck his wheel all the way back to my house. We sat up, introduced ourselves and gave each other that riding glove handshake. He made an impression on me as one of those "nicest people I've ever met" type of guys. I was also impressed with his jersey. It was completely sun baked. The sign of someone who rides pretty much every day.

Long story short, Matt was riding with Steven yesterday in the afternoon after he got of work. They were in the wide bike lane on the Parkway, but they were going up this hill that curves to the right at the top. Matt was riding on the traffic side, but still inside the bike lane. There's three lanes of traffic in this area. At the top of the hill, where it curves to the right, drivers in the #3 lane (slow lane) always get near the fog line. I guess it's instinct as they are slightly turning right as they crest the hill. - We even commented about this last Saturday as we went up this hill when a car came scary close to us. - Well, a young male driver was coming up this hill and he appeared to be distracted by something, as other drivers reported he swerved in an out of the bike lane as he was going up the hill. Unfortunately Matt and Steven were right at the top where drivers only have a second or so to realize bikes are right there. The driver hit Matt from behind, leaving no skidmarks. - The traffic team took the driver's cell phone as evidence to see if he was on it or texting. They later booked him at the jail for vehicular manslaughter. A misdemeanor. I guess that really doesn't matter as it won't bring Matt back. We'll post a ghost bike at the top of the hill to remind drivers to watch out for us. I'll see if I can get the city to post traffic whips up that hill and around that corner on the fog line. Hopefully they will do it as this is a very dangerous location on an otherwise very safe place to ride. Keep Matt's family in your thoughts and prayers. Be as safe as you can while out on the roadways.

Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so sorry to hear. Prayers for his family.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear, thanks for taking the time to share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about this.

Was wondering where this happened. (what city)

Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [Turd Ferguson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you my friend. Menifee California.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear this Tim. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

Thanks for sharing.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I am sorry to hear this. Another one taken, even in a bike lane. Peace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sobering news for the day, but I appreciate you taking the time to let our community know. My thoughts are with Matt's family and friends.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. :(

Interesting that they arrested him. We just had a guy killed a couple weeks ago by an alleged drunk driver. They never arrested him and haven't even filed charges until toxicology comes back. My understand is that they released him at the scene to a family member or drove him home.

I know college kids who get DUI's that spend longer in jail then this guy who killed someone. I just don't understand why we as cyclists are not treated the same way as any other human.

Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about your friend. Condolences to his family.

--------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [TheGupster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride with Temecula Velo, i'll make sure to let them know as well.

BTW, this is the segement he was on near the beginning. Wide open road, but a lot of people going over 70 there and coming from behind he would have never had a chance.

http://www.strava.com/segments/883951
Last edited by: LOW2000: Jul 24, 14 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about this. Thoughts and prayers go out to all involved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear brother!

Quote | Reply
One of my first riding experiences with Matt was similar to yours. I was on my first "long" training ride for my first ironman with two of my brothers and Matt. About 35 miles in I fell apart. Matt was happy to limp me back home for 15 miles. He just seemed happy to be riding whenever I saw him or rode with him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry for you, Matt, and his family.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [Ethank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on Ethan, yeah, Matt seemed to live to ride his bicycle! I'm so glad that turd didn't hit Stephen too. The Cycle Relics are taking this really hard, as is Lisa F who is currently at IMLP trying to get her mind right for the race. She rode with Matt a lot.

I've got a call in to the traffic engineer for the city. Hopefully I will be able to meet with him next week to discuss some strategies to make that corner safer.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [PeterAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It never ends...so sad.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post, and very sorry for another senseless cycling death.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear this, such a sad thing. I can't help but let it run through my mind when riding on open roads how vulnerable we all are, as our survival is dependent on people paying attention and staying in their lane. Sadly all it takes is a mistake by a driver like this for the worst to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [Ethank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, and your brothers wouldn't even stay with you. I remember that ride very well, Matt was very concerned about you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RIP Matt. Never met him but he sounds like a decent, stand up guy. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey Bro - thoughts are with you and the community.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My condolences.

Bike lanes don't appear to be an answer to safe riding in my area (Orange County, CA). Cars driving by at 45-60 mph scare me too much to bother riding, except in large groups. IMO, they breed a false sense of security. If you're riding a bike in a contest for survival with an automobile, you will lose every time...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently, his oldest son committed suicide after he was killed. Tragedy gets worse.....
http://www.menifee247.com/...pparent-suicide.html

And a piece on Matt
http://www.menifee247.com/...ion-for-cycling.html
Last edited by: ChrisM: Jul 28, 14 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Bicyclist killed [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldnt follow the first link, doesnt seem to work. Maybe you can paste the article. Very sad.
Quote Reply

Prev Next