Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [kellydomara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The size is printed right on the fuselage itself, just look closely.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, ok, pulling it back out. Thanks!

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, it's the right size, but worth checking.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stick a piece of hard rubber tubing into the fuselage (it's actually 1/2" radiant floor tubing, stiff but bendable) to help it fit down into the frame. It helps guide the fuselage down and lets you know when it's stuck and starting to bunch up.
Without it I've always had the same issue as you with the fuselage bunching up. I can usually get about 24-26oz of water into it when installed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick thought, but make sure the tube on the fuselage is running through the sleeve on fuselage. I missed that the first time...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think somewhere way back in this thread someone mentioned using baby powder on the ouside of the bladder. I tried that and it works very well. Still might not slide right in perfectly, but shouldn't take more than a minute to get it set up right.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mlyonsdc [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kellydomara wrote:
Unfortunately, it's the right size, but worth checking.

similar to the suggestion below...I use a piece of "pex" plumbing tube to guide it in. It's stiff enough to hold the form, but it is bendable. You can buy a piece of this at Lowes/Home Depot for less than $5. I then use the same piece to hold the fuselage when I'm not using it, allowing it to hang upside down and dry out completely.

It seems like it won't fit, but it does. It is just tricky until you get the hang of it. There are a few youtube videos that help. Also, I forgot my tube for my last race so I had to do it without at the race site. I was having trouble so I put it in part way and then would lean down and actually blow on it periodically (when you would pour the water in) to inflate the bladder some to straighten it out. Eventually, I started putting water in it until it was "full" and then would reach my finger into it and spread out the bladder enough so the water would find it's way to the bottom. It took a bit of working with it, but I was able to get it filled and it wasn't as big of a hassle as it sounds. For me...even though it's a bit tricky, I've found it to be worth the trouble.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Studd Muffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah, I found the baby powder suggestions and blowing in it, so I'm going to try that. Apparently there's an art to this...

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah, I guess I just need to try some of these things and figure out a way to finagle it in.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The size frame it fits is printed (at least on mine) on the bag.
I put the bag in and then blow air into it from the top of the bag to get it to expand; pour some water in it then repeat (blow air; water....) until it's full.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ibohunt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark's video for inserting the fuelselage works

The only thing different from the video that I find works better for me is starting with the bag angled about 30 degrees backward and the straightening the bag up and going straight down after inserting a couple of inches.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does this compare to the Speed Concept? Or Felt's IA Series? What does the Shiv do that these don't already do?

Vince
Tribikerun
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [vcorlew22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may be a very difficult question to answer without further measurements, flexibility tests etc, but I wanted some opinions nonetheless:

I am 5'11" or 179 centimeters and have ridden a Shiv the last two seasons and will get the new one when it is released shortly.

Both years I have ridden a size Medium with my saddle height at 770mm.

The question is just whether I should be riding a Small or a Medium.

All the pro's that are my height seem to be riding a Small but I wondered if they would be setup more aggressively or have better flexibility to adapt to it?

My local bike shop has said a Medium is correct but that is based more off how it looks rather than specific measurements. I've never sat on a small as the shop orders he bikes in as required so will need to know my size before ordering.

Any thoughts on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [christopherwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current setup.

Sam Betten
Aussie Professional Triathelte
Twitter: @SamBetten
Instagram @SamBetten
Blog: sambetten.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [vcorlew22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vcorlew22 wrote:
How does this compare to the Speed Concept? Or Felt's IA Series? What does the Shiv do that these don't already do?

Vince
Tribikerun

Interesting question, but I'll give you a hard time about your wording. The current SC and the IA series are both new in 2013 and the Shiv has been around longer than that...so perhaps the question should be....what do these do that the Shiv didn't already do? I can't think of much.

IMO, all are good bikes. The SC (I believe) would claim a wind tunnel aero advantage. I would guess the IA would too, but I haven't seen any numbers. The Shiv offers the integrated fueling option as well as storage with the fuel cell. When you add on accessories to those other bikes, I am guessing you would lose some of those aero advantages. But I'm not sure. The SC has the draft box and some aero accessories, but I believe you would still need a bottle: BTA, behind seat, or an aero bottle solution of some sort, sacrificing some of that advantage.

The fit is going to be different across those bikes as well. I'm very comfortable on my Shiv. I could not fit an IA (I would be in their B-series which I think Shiv is a better bike top to bottom). I could fit a SC. A big difference also is your dealer contact. To be honest, I live 1 mile from a Trek dealer, but those guys are a**holes. I hate it, but I won't buy from them. I'm a newer triathlete and they make it seem like I'm not worthy to buy their stuff. I drive 25 miles across town for a Specialized dealer that is very professional and easy to deal with. I'm sure every manufacturer has dealers that fit in both categories.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im getting a clunking sound/feel in my left crank under heavy load 1x per revolution. Any ideas what this could be?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have one of those Velolite carbon fiber dust covers for the shiv. They are usually $30....I don't want mine...NEVER used it. $15 shipped gets it if anyone with a shiv wants one to get their stem as low as possible. PM me for info
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mattr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattr wrote:
Has anyone used the TriRig Omega SV on their Shiv. I just bought one last week to replace my rear brake. Whenever I swapped wheels, it took me forever to get the rear brake re-adjusted. I could never get it to pull straight, one side would always contact first. On the couple of test rides around my block with the Omega, it seems to work much better. Also super easy to adjust. We'll see how it goes at my race this weekend.

I have the Omega SV just on the front and it works great. Haven't dropped the dough on the second one for the rear yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SamBetten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamBetten wrote:
My current setup.

Very nice! Looking good Sam!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
before race on Sunday
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [christopherwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 6 feet and 1/4 inch. I'm on a large. With a 110 -28 degree stem.

What size stem are you using on the medium? If you move to a small, how much longer stem will you need to active your position? I *think* that if your stem is 120 or longer, your frame is too small and you may be overweighting the front wheel. This likely isn't a problem unless the course has descents with switchbacks.

hth
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got the nosecone cockpit. Stripped a thread there. Travelled with the bike one too many times I guess. On the aerobar angle adjust part. The aerobars attach to that part on top, and that part then screws into the base bar on the bottom. The screws insert from the bottom. Those threads are stripped.

What is that part called so I know what to order? It is small. Flat on the bottom with two screw threads, and it's oval on top with ticks marks denoting aerobar angles. Are left and right parts identical? (Looks like it.)

No idea how this happened. I use a torque wrench. I even travel with it for assembly at the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,
I´d like to convert my Shiv Pro frame I bought in 01/2013 to de Magura RTT brakes. I have the adapters, the screw set and the actual brakes here. Unfortunately I can´t remove the brake bosses holding the old brake arms on the fork and frame. So my question is whether someone was successful removing these bosses ( are the actually bonded in the carbon? or did the just use some form of übernasty loctite?) without damaging anything and HOW he did so.

Regards
Joerg
Last edited by: Schulbub: Jul 24, 14 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SamBetten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it! almost like mine, I'm trying to get hold of the Red Sitero for my own bike!

Quote Reply

Prev Next