Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth??
Quote | Reply
This caught me by surprise but it appears Joe Gambles was photographed wearing headphones on the run during Challenge Roth. Not only did he not get DQ'd, but he made the podium with a 4th place finish.... Below is the link by Slowtwitch with images from the race. Gambles image is toward the bottom of the site. Is anybody else seeing this?

Edit: Just looked into this further and headphones are allowed during the marathon.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...oth_-_race_4468.html

"Heart Rate, Watts, I have no idea, I race, I don't pace." Andrew Starykowicz
Last edited by: Specialized22: Jul 20, 14 12:18
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Specialized22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Specialized22 wrote:
This caught me by surprise but it appears Joe Gambles was photographed wearing headphones on the run during Challenge Roth. Not only did he not get DQ'd, but he made the podium with a 4th place finish.... Below is the link by Slowtwitch with images from the race. Gambles image is toward the bottom of the site. Is anybody else seeing this?

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...oth_-_race_4468.html

wow, what is the rule at Roth?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Specialized22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you were full of it until I saw the picture! Rules must be different in Europe?

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [tenzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea, I thought this was crazy but I just found where it's allowed during the run.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...challenge-roth_79347

"Headphones are allowed during the marathon, as long as the volume is not excessive and does not interfere with athlete safety."

Luke McKenzie had his on also...

"Heart Rate, Watts, I have no idea, I race, I don't pace." Andrew Starykowicz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Specialized22 wrote:
Yea, I thought this was crazy but I just found where it's allowed during the run.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...challenge-roth_79347

"Headphones are allowed during the marathon, as long as the volume is not excessive and does not interfere with athlete safety."

Luke McKenzie had his on also...

So much for the comments on the other thread that using headphones during the run is, well, ....

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
F.Y.I.:

Course closed to traffic.

And sad.
As he missed out on so much fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
F.Y.I.:

And sad.

Never seen a top racer use headphones. I have never used one in a race, and would never consider wearing one. We look dorky enough already, and the headphones, IMO, make it worse.
I want to be talking to folks around me while I am running, saying thanks to volunteers, spectators, not being in my own little world during a race. But what do I know.

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
F.Y.I.:

And sad.

+1. At Roth! of all places.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look, Joe has probably raced 100s of times without phones. I think it's quite cool that Roth allows it. As a matter of fact, everything I've seen about this race has been extremely positive.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Never seen a top racer use headphones. I have never used one in a race, and would never consider wearing one. We look dorky enough already, and the headphones, IMO, make it worse.
I want to be talking to folks around me while I am running, saying thanks to volunteers, spectators, not being in my own little world during a race. But what do I know. .
Perhaps you didn't realize it's possible to speak with headphones on. They don't actually block speech or send the sound out to other people - they just send sound to your ears. So you can say "Thanks" or "Water" just fine with them.

It's even possible to hear things with headphones on if you set the volume low enough. Believe it or not it's true! Your hearing won't be as acute as if you didn't have them, but you can hear a lot.

Just sayin'.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I want to be talking to folks around me while I am running, saying thanks to volunteers, spectators, not being in my own little world during a race. But what do I know. .

Perhaps you didn't realize it's possible to speak with headphones on. They don't actually block speech or send the sound out to other people - they just send sound to your ears. So you can say "Thanks" or "Water" just fine with them.

It's even possible to hear things with headphones on if you set the volume low enough. Believe it or not it's true! Your hearing won't be as acute as if you didn't have them, but you can hear a lot.

Just sayin'.

Yep, you are 100% correct. Just sends the wrong message that I would want to send racing, but that is just me.

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
Look, Joe has probably raced 100s of times without phones. I think it's quite cool that Roth allows it. As a matter of fact, everything I've seen about this race has been extremely positive.

I think its cool as well .... there's no safety reason for not wearing headphones on any IM distance run despite what all the ST naysayers suggest. Looks like the biggest safety risk at Roth is at the pre-race dinner noodle line ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do they also usually have to wear bib numbers on the bike? #notaero

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think he heard you were racing and wanted to ensure he wouldn't be bothered...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Personally, I think the whole no headphones & no music thing is a bit of a silly rule. I don't often run with music but I have no problem with others doing it even if it's loud.

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Mr. October] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't mind to run with headphones either!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ran with headphones - first time for me in a race and quite liked it. Big portions of the run course are very remote and you are all by yourself. Good time to have some music to help things along. And at km 40 some Eminem "lose yourself" was great to get that final push going. I didn't find that it interfered with speaking to people.

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I don't understand is how was he able to post a respectable transition while having to deal with this?

Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Nunchuck_Canuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nunchuck_Canuck wrote:
What I don't understand is how was he able to post a respectable transition while having to deal with this?

LOL!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have always been allowed at Roth Bek Keat wore them when she was second to Chrissie. Shock. Horror. Outrage.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [odin99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
German triathlon requires bib numbers on the bike.

You're not allowed to wear them under your wetsuit for some reason though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Headphones are an exception to DTU rules for this race (only).

Bib numbers required on bike.

No body marking at all.
-

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd really have to lay those headphones out nicely since every time I grab them they look like this:

Quote | Reply
Specialized22 wrote:
Joe Gambles was photographed wearing headphones on the run during Challenge Roth.
I'm more shocked that Gambles, Caroline Steffan, Timo Bracht and other pros are wearing [gasp!] compression sleeves.* Don't they listen to the almighty Slowtwitch gurus??!!

*Slowtwitch Gods: please don't ban me from the site for using the word "compression." I swear I'll never use that horrible word again. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Gambles wearing headphones at Challenge Roth?? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll bet he was listening to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Quote Reply