Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why?
Quote | Reply
I have a P4 and I have the rotor BSA30 bottom bracket installed. When I try to install my Rotor 3D+ crankset, the spindle appears to be too short as I can't thread the drive side bolt. I've tightened the cups down and the preload nut and still can't get it to reach.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [Greg@SDXTrainin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're probably trying to install a Bbright crankset rather than a 3D+, cause that's exactly what happens if you do that.

Rotor doesn't make a BBright only crankset. The 3D+ is suppose to fit on BB30, BBright, and BSA frames as long as you have the proper bottom bracket adaptor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the non-drive side crank arm, there may be a pre-load nut with a 2.5mm allen screw. Take that off.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take off the entire pre-load nut or just the pinch screw?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The whole thing if it's too wide, and then try it. If it's too loose then, get a 'wavy washer' to use. With the wavy washer, you compress the washer almost all the way, that's tight enough.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Two questions:

Did you follow the Rotor instructions which tells you where to mount which spacers?

Where did you get the cranks? I had a 3DF on my S5 and discovered that Cervelo has an own lockring for the spider which carries the chainrings. This lockring combines the normal lockring and the spacer you normally need on the driveside when installing the cranks to a BBright frame.

Just post a picture. That might help to help you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/pdf/bsa30_bb_manual.pdf

Leave the preload adjuster on and remove any other spacers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg@SDXTrainin wrote:
Rotor doesn't make a BBright only crankset. The 3D+ is suppose to fit on BB30, BBright, and BSA frames as long as you have the proper bottom bracket adaptor.

Not exactly. Not now, but they did make one, sort of. The crank and spindle was essentially identical, but the driveside spiders/lockrinngs on some older generation cervelo specific cranks were thicker or offset inboard or both, not sure which. These older rotor cranks won't fit most frames (other than bbright or bb30) unless you change out the spider to different one. This info is all according to Rotor USA tech support staff. But YMMV ...

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 25, 14 8:31
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [andid333] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andid333 wrote:
I had a 3DF on my S5 and discovered that Cervelo has an own lockring for the spider which carries the chainrings. This lockring combines the normal lockring and the spacer you normally need on the driveside when installing the cranks to a BBright frame.

Correct. Which makes your crank bbright only (unless you change out that lockring/spider).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a new lockring which at Power2max which made the Franks Universal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The exact same thing happened to me. If your crank came off a Cervelo bike even if it is a 3D+ (which is supposed to fit several BB) it will not work with the BSA30 BB because Cervelo has a special spider on their cranks.
I talked to a rep with Rotor USA and they helped me out. I sent back my crank and they swapped the lockring. After that everything worked out perfectly. Pm me if you need more info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before you go shipping the crank back do try a different combination of spacers. For me I needed to take everything off the NDS and have about 3-4mm on the DS (ideally a wavy washer and several of the FSA thin 1mm spacers). Quarq users go through this all the time and Quarq has a nice little tutorial written up on the proper combination of spacers. Unfortunately they don't have it posted on their website but will happily email it to you if you ask.

If you have a 'normal' 3D+ this should work for you as that crank (as you pointed out) is made to fit any bike so long as you have the correct bb and combination of spacers installed (and there are lots of spacers).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW I use a Quarq S975 BB30 on my P3 with BSA30 adaptors and I had to take everything off the spindle, so the preload adjuster and the DS spacer. I had to get a BB30 washer kit from the bike shop to make it work, this includes a wavy washer and a bunch of skinny nylon washers, I used pretty much all of them. Had to take a little care not to spoil the chainline, on my P3 the chain can get pretty close to the DS chainstay near the dropouts when on big front/little back (which I always am).

But as below perhaps your Rotor crankset is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [tribarbet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribarbet wrote:
The exact same thing happened to me. If your crank came off a Cervelo bike even if it is a 3D+ (which is supposed to fit several BB) it will not work with the BSA30 BB because Cervelo has a special spider on their cranks.
I talked to a rep with Rotor USA and they helped me out. I sent back my crank and they swapped the lockring. After that everything worked out perfectly. Pm me if you need more info.

+1 - I ran into the same problem also. I bought a 3d+ crankset off of ebay and it originally came off a Cervelo. It wouldn't fit my bikes (two different ones) with a BSA30 BB. The RotorUSA guys helped me out and removed the BBright spacer that was in there and sent it back to me (I think it is the 11mm one...but I don't recall exactly and don't care to confirm). Fits perfectly now.

Only caveat for that route is if you have only the spacer removed the cranks will only work with BSA30 and will not work with BB30. The only way to get it to back to normal is to buy a new spider (which I wasn't willing to do since I only own English threaded BBBHollowtech/GXP style bikes)
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:

Only caveat for that route is if you have only the spacer removed the cranks will only work with BSA30 and will not work with BB30. The only way to get it to back to normal is to buy a new spider (which I wasn't willing to do since I only own English threaded BBBHollowtech/GXP style bikes)

I think that is not true. Cervelo has the same spider as far as I know, but they take a different lockring. With the normal lockring you can also use the cranks for BB30 or so, if you assemble everything with the correct spacers, distributed with the crankset. If you don't have them, your lbs should be able to help. You can also buy them at Power2max. See here: http://www.power2max.de/...ubehoer/ersatzteile/

They should have a distribution in your country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can think what you want and/or verify yourself. What I stated earlier is what the Rotor USA rep told me. When I got my cranks back it didn't include the spacer he removed and I didn't have any extra ones provided from the previous owner. It is kind of a moot point for me since I have no need for BB30 cpmpatibility right now or for the near future.
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: andid333: Jun 30, 14 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Greg,

Rotor makes more than one 3D+ crankset. First, the one most people are aware of, which (as you mentioned) fits lots of BB standards (including BSA30), and another one, with a wider spider (as rpeterson mentioned). The wide spider version fits BBright and BB30 frames perfectly, but the spider's extra width takes up the space needed to fit on BSA30 bottom brackets, as you've discovered.

The reason for the wider spider is to stiffen the chain rings laterally, for better shifting.

Easiest solution, as Greg mentioned, is to call Rotor USA and simply have them install the narrower spider on your crank. Then it'll fit on your BSA30 bottom bracket, and with the right spacer (they can also send that along), it'll still fit on your BBright frame (and BB30 frames, etc.).

Give 'em a call: 1-866-391-0493.

The wide spider

The narrow spider.

The spacer (on the right).

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Jun 30, 14 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andid333 wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:
You can think what you want and/or verify yourself.

Did you have a good start into your day? No need to get personal...

Wow, if you think that comment was getting "personal", maybe it's you that had a bad start to your day...
Quote Reply
Re: Rotor 3D+ crankset doesn't fit. Why? [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
asad137 wrote:
andid333 wrote:
loxx0050 wrote:
You can think what you want and/or verify yourself.

Did you have a good start into your day? No need to get personal...

Wow, if you think that comment was getting "personal", maybe it's you that had a bad start to your day...

If you think I was the first to get personal I would like to say sorry. I did not want to bring it on a personal level.

Anyway, Damon explained it very well and I learned that not only the lockring but also the spider was Cervelo-specific. Something Power2Max did not mention to me, when I had troubles installing my P2M.
Quote Reply