Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon
Quote | Reply
Beat this: volunteered to set up the bike and run transitions for my sister's race, "The Cowichan Challenge", on Vancouver Island. Did a great job - put lots of thought into it...but was I paying attention? Next day, I get a bad case of Race Brain, and not only try to exit my bike OUT the run transition, but after transitioning off the bike I try to run back OUT the bike transition. I've heard about it at family get-togethers ever since.

What happens to YOUR brain when you are racing? Care to admit any dumb things you've done?

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [zoomrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Early in my triathlon career, I wore my wetsuit backwards for several races unit lI was informed that the zipper belonged in the back...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love it! Did that in my first race but a kindly soul informed me before the race started.

Fine, I'll admit another Dumb Thing...This wasn't IN a triathlon, but I am known in my home town for being the ONLY triathlete let alone cyclist who replaced a shredded tire successfully with a new tire, placing it INSIDE OUT. I did two sprint races with very decent bike splits, then noticed there was "something wrong" with my tire - took it to the bike shop: complained that the tire was literally falling apart with these weird threads everywhere like I'd ridden through a forest of cottonwood trees. He has owned the shop for decades and swears he's never ever heard of anyone successfully replacing let along racing on a tire inside out. Aren't I talented?

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol, my first discovery tri: Ran out of T2 with the helmet on my head.

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even the pros have issues...

The dumbest thing I ever did was Alcatraz w/o BodyGlide.
Not me, but essentially the same effect.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how long #50 rode before noticing her bike was backwards?
Hope your neck has recovered. Ouch!

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
didn't velcro my chip tight enough in once race. The fishies recorded my splits.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Pmsl.....

"Doctor" Amanda Stevens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
train when I've been ill - like at the moment :-(
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [BigCheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigCheese wrote:
Lol, my first discovery tri: Ran out of T2 with the helmet on my head.

I tried to do this once. Got yelled at by the guy watching everyone leave T1.

But the dumbest thing I ever did was attempt to do a sprint tri when I was in terrible shape.

5 minutes into the swim I knew I was in trouble. Finished the race though. Awful, just awful.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Passed on the right around 3 TNT people blocking the whole road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Attempted a flying mount for the first time in a race. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I borrowed a non-swimming, poorly fitting, short sleeve, wet suit for my first Olympic... I was in the best swim shape of my life at the time and was expecting a really good swim. About 200 meters into the lake my shoulders were completley toasted from fighting the wet suit. 52 minutes later I finished the swim completley exhausted and my arms were so weak I could barely get the wetsuit off.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [Cup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems to be a common mistake. Good you survived!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lifetime MN in 2012, I believe. This was the first race I competed in that was not wetsuit legal. I was excited because I'd finally get to wear the new swim skin I had. Amazingly, I came out of the water in 2nd position in the Elite wave. With all the excitement coming through transition I simply forgot to take off my swim skin. Three misfortunes as a result of my great swim.

1. It was hot as sh*t. So I would now suffer in the MN summer heat.
2. If you've ever sat on a bike seat with a swim skin it's essentially a velcro effect. This equaled torn up undercarriage!
3. About midway through bike I couldn't take the tight skin and hotness. I attempted to peel it down to my waist while riding. I did manage to get it down, but in the process I tore my brand new skin that I was so excited to wear.

"Fat guy in a little swimskin" Live'n Learn....Always learning.

Jake Rhyner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Elbaman. Transition is a bit a way from the swim. I got all sorted and put th bottom of my wet suit on. Walk to the swim start, finish to put the wetsuit on, and realise I had lost my hat and goggles. Panic, I run back to transition, can't find anything in my bags, beg for a new hat and goggles, nothing. So I run back to swim start planning to swim without goggles. Minutes before the start I notice a bulk on my stomach: hat and goggle were carefully tucked in. I quickly undressed, retrieved my precious hat and goggles, suit up seconds before the start. It ended up being my PB swim, full of adrenaline :)

Francois-Xavier Li @FrancoisLi
"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw
http://www.swimrunfrance.fr
http://www.worldofswimrun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going hard in sprint race. I was passes on the run, twice. After getting passed the second time.... I was so pissed at myself that I was now in 5th place and..... I started walking.

Turns out, three people ahead of me were in a different age group, but they started us all in the same wave.

So, I was ACTUALLY in second place! By walking, I was no longer on the podium. Damn! Stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yesterday. I came into transition after the swim. Went right to my bike row and was literally 2 feet from my bike. But I couldn't see it. I spent a good 45-60 seconds panicking looking for my stuff until I realized it was literally right in front of my nose. Good times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quit
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I was going hard in sprint race. I was passes on the run, twice. After getting passed the second time.... I was so pissed at myself that I was now in 5th place and..... I started walking.

Turns out, three people ahead of me were in a different age group, but they started us all in the same wave.

So, I was ACTUALLY in second place! By walking, I was no longer on the podium. Damn! Stupid.

You thought that were in 5th place so you just gave up? Podium or who cares?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run next to a guy wearing a gorilla suit. NEVER doing that one again!

Once I was doing a sprint, and because it was "only a sprint" I didn't really look closely at the course map or do any kind of preparation, I just showed up. Half way through the first bike loop I was looking around and realized I couldn't see anyone on a bike. I slowed and thought "Uh oh... did I take a wrong turn?". So I stopped. Nothing, no bikes coming around the corner. No sounds of volunteers cheering or directing traffic. So I actually started back tracking until I got near the previous corner when some guy comes FLYING around, almost directly in to me, and I get an ear full from him as he speeds away. Right after that 3 guys come around the corner and blow by me with incredulous looks like "what the hell is this idiot doing?!". I was barely moving at this point, tried a quick turn, fell over while clipped in, managed to unclip, turn around, and off I went. Front door brag: still won my AG ;). Also that was the only time I've ever won, or even placed in my AG! Go figure!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I entered one.

That's not even true. I did a relay as the bike leg and it was pretty fun. I had a decent split (thanks to not having to swim or run), and only almost died twice. Once when a cop let a car through an intersection is was approaching at +30mph and I had to get all over the brakes (thank god /i was on a road bike. The second time I passed on the right (I didn't know), and got what I think was a tongue lashing. I guess I spooked her, but why she was riding in the center of the lane is beyond me. That was 5 years ago. Lesson learnt!
Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Dumbest Thing You've Done in a Triathlon [J_R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J_R wrote:
BLeP wrote:
jharris wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my first triathlon I realized that a LOT of people were passing me on the bike portion even though I thought I was pushing a decent amount of watts. It was weird seeing big heavy bikes passing me on hills! I realized after the race that my front brakes were significantly rubbing. I could barely push my bike out of the transition! Lesson learned!
Quote Reply

Prev Next