Quote | Reply
400€. Just received it today...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [kraton77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well done Stephan!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Zoom_zoom_Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zoom_zoom_Ben wrote:
You over tightened the seat tube clamp. When you do the bolt pushes in to the bottom of the top tube near the joint with the seat tube. Im guessing there is a little bump on that diagonal piece at the joint right? How safe it is depends on how much the bolt caused a protrusion. Ive known another person who did the same thing and had a small pimple like bump, but it didnt break through the carbon. That bike is and continues to be fine. Its a redundant area thats really only there to accommodate the seat post clamp. That being said, it all depends how hard you pushed the bolt through... realistically you are fine though.

Lesson: Go buy a torque wrench. Torque specs are on there for a reason.

Good info, but I promise my cracked (under the seatpost binder) frame has never been over 5nm because a Ritchey torque key is the only thing that fits in there properly.

Neither of my torque wrenches have a small enough head to go after the bolt straight on and I don't trust the ball head bits for that work. That being said, I didn't figure it would affect anything and have been riding it (with a smaller bolt) for the last year. After the steerer cracked at a race last weekend, I'm thinking I'm done with the 2012 Time Machine. I hope all of you have much better luck.
Last edited by: dangle: Jun 19, 14 13:48
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"After the steerer cracked at a race last weekend, I'm thinking I'm done with the 2012 Time Machine. I hope all of you have much better luck. "

What happened and how?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just finished building up a 2013 thanks to all of you.

Can I safely fit 25mm tires? (specifically continental gp4000s clinchers)

The front looks fine, the rear is very tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TM. I really like your drop bar setup. You know your stuff and I still remember the Cervelo Diet features quite well.

twain wrote:

What happened and how?

Well, nothing happened and I thank God for that. Seriously. Think of the absolute worst place to have a frame/fork failure. It's right there. Since when does carbon crack at a high torque junction and not blow up completely?

After a local Oly, my front end felt like the headset somehow loosened up because I could move the stem/bars a little. I took off the stem and two spacers below to adjust the headset and thought I saw a crack at the front of the steerer. Raising the top cap confirmed that it was cracked most of the way across the front. There has never been a stem clamped within 2cm of that crack. The front seems kind of weird too because I would think the force would pull it down and forward and stress the back of the steerer more.

Anyhow, I flipped out for a while and took a picture with a cell phone and blue flashlight. Luckily I didn't eat pavement and a new frame is coming in. All is well. I'm pretty unsure about building or selling though.

It's kind of a bummer to be the guy that has read this entire thread multiple times, thought I came up with a cool rear brake solution that I needed to photograph and share, and then when I finally post to this thread it's pretty negative. Again, I hope any other owner has a completely difference experience.

Goodbye 2012 TM02

Last edited by: dangle: Jun 20, 14 6:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Luckily I didn't eat pavement and a new frame is coming in. All is well. I'm pretty unsure about building or selling though"

Man, that was a close one! But it looks like it is going to be warranty'd, right? That's sweet. Selling it, might be best to ask BMC or the LBS what to do. Sadly, might be safer to "throw it out".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TM,

You're right, no trying to sell busted stuff. This warranty process involved sawing off a chainstay and submitting the picture. What a weird feeling sawing off part of a relatively high end frame! She will go in the trash shortly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is sad. Carbon waste.

"thought I came up with a cool rear brake solution that I needed to photograph and share, and then when I finally post to this thread it's pretty negative."
- what does that mean?

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Tom Maliszewski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how are we dialing in our front brakes? Mine rub on one side and I can't get them off of that side. Also, when I tighten the caliper bolts down to the prescribed 4.5nm they won't move

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take it to your LBS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My initial set up was done by my LBS. After that they always functioned fine. When switching rim widths I move the washers on the pad holders accordingly. If that's not an option, the first thing I would check is to be sure the cable is smooth with no kinks.

Since my bike is now in the overnight transition area I can't check, but I thought the front brake bolts were 4 Nm, not 4.5. I always set them to the torque printed on the fork and they worked fine.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant that with everything I have learned from this thread, I should be contributing to it as well. Taking and not giving back is bad juju.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a new set of wheels - Vision Metron 81 tubulars. Switching from the Planet-X101/82 combo. I just got home from my first ride and to be honest I was a bit surprised that the difference from a budget and narrow carbon wheelset to an almost highend wider wheelset wasn't any bigger. Well - but let's talk TM01: The thing is that I mounted Conti Competition 25 mm tubulars (the old wheelset had 22 mm Sprinter Gatorskin). The front rim rubs slightly against the bolt holding the front brake cover if the wheel is installed fully in the fork. Have any of you guys experienced the same and maybe even come up with a solution other than lovering the wheel a tiny bit in the fork and tighten it really well!?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [albafar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never experienced this. Sounds like you need a smaller tire. If i understand your solution correctly, it sounds like you are saying to not install the wheel against the fork drop outs, but use the QR to hold it slightly away from the drop out to accommodate the tire. Is that right? If that's right, then you are absolutely nuts if you ride that way. Disaster waiting to happen.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Tom Maliszewski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep - that was my 'solution' and I totally agree it's completely nuts. I tried to grind the cover a bit around its hole but its not enough. Thinking I should just wear the rim a bit on my road bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I checked my fork and you are right, the torque if 4.5 Nm. I have no ideas on this one; I never had that issue.

As far as the brake pads rubbing, are the brake arms centered? If so, check the number of washers on the pad holders. Other than that, my guess is that it's linked to arms not freely moving when torqued.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
albafar wrote:
Yep - that was my 'solution' and I totally agree it's completely nuts. I tried to grind the cover a bit around its hole but its not enough. Thinking I should just wear the rim a bit on my road bike...

I am now wondering if my LBS used the original and correct bolt to mount the cover. Looking at the illustration in the manual it seems countersunk. But mine isn't. It's a regular flat torx 20 bolt. Normally I would have expected it to be a hex. Do yours look the same?

Update: the bolt was wrong. Got a new one - countersunk - and it fits perfectly. No more rubber rubbing ;-)
Last edited by: albafar: Jun 25, 14 11:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need your friendly advice guys:

My TM01 creaks very badly whenever turning in either direction. The LBS says that it is due to the way the cables are routed and is normal. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [bsramzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the wheel distance adjuster on rear drop out.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Poseidon2600] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the creaking is all definately coming from where the cabling runs out the top into the aerobar.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [bsramzy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a similar problem with my TM01. I greased all parts and tightened the headset, much better now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [VP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here comes my 2013 TM01 Ultegra size L. Any suggestions on how to get the Torhans VR even more flush other than electrical tape? I'm still uncertain if it should be used for hydration or storage. Have some of you guys ever tried to fit a Tufo Elite Jet < 160 into the VR?
How come the TM01 size L is not UCI legal where as the other sizes seem to be??

Last edited by: albafar: Jul 2, 14 0:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
albafar wrote:
How come the TM01 sizeL is not UCI legal whereas the other sizes seem to be??

Just guessing: maybe the seat stays are more than 16 cm below the top tube?

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply

Prev Next