Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Encouraging update on reducing hip flexion on the bike to protect my AAA stent graft extension, with thanks for input from this forum.
Quote | Reply
Hi Folks,

RE: Ironman training with an abdominal aortic aneurysm stent graft extension, an update:

It would appear that my strategy for reducing hip flexion on the bike (Guru designed for this purpose, plus non-use of aerobars - bummer) was successful (so far).

A CT scan a few days ago at the Cleveland Clinic revealed no untoward effects on my stent graft extension as a result of training for the 2014 Eagleman Half (lack luster performance, especially on the run, but that was expected given the interruption of my training by aortic surgery and a calf issue). Let's see how it handles Mont-Tremblant

I'm writing to thank everyone who provided input and to encourage those with aortic disease to not give up, and to do what they can do safely to stay in shape.

Cheers,

kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Encouraging update on reducing hip flexion on the bike to protect my AAA stent graft extension, with thanks for input from this forum. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting through an AAA repair is serious stuff. Doing races is easy by comparison. You rock!

What length of cranks are you running now? Was that what was reduced during your GURU fit? The quickest cheat for increasing the hip angle (reducing hip flexion) at the apex of your pedal stroke is by reducing the length of the cranks. You would have needed to go down at least 5mm to so much as even notice a difference.
Last edited by: PumpkinEater: Jun 14, 14 22:31
Quote Reply
Re: Encouraging update on reducing hip flexion on the bike to protect my AAA stent graft extension, with thanks for input from this forum. [PumpkinEater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Pumpkineater (you really love pumpkin?), thanks for the encouragement.

CRANKS: When it comes to crank length, I explored the only source I could find, Cobb, and they had 45s but not on a triple, just a compact set. As I have trouble putting out the old wattages, I think due to the non-compliant stent restricting blood flow under high load, I have to stick to low gears for any kind of hill climb. I just couldn't face losing my 'girlie triple.'

GURU: My bike was designed and built by Victor Jimenez, of BicycleLab, and how he setup the frame I've no idea, but it involved a 2+hour fit and computers. I requested minimal hip flexion, as I had my Cook Zenith Stent in place, and he did an excellent job. However, I now have to be more careful as I have the stent extension. So far I seem to have pulled it off, but I paid a price at Eagleman when it was windy, as I can't use aero, but at least I finished. The run was another story, as I still have to fix my tight right calf.

But, I love to be out there, and I don't worry too much about not being first, I just have lots of fun.

If you want Victor's contact info I can send it, or just go to BicycleLab.

I really appreciate your interest.

Enjoy your pumpkins.

Cheers,

Kevin aka FitOldDog
Quote Reply
Re: Encouraging update on reducing hip flexion on the bike to protect my AAA stent graft extension, with thanks for input from this forum. [FitOldDog_Again] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My user ID was established by an Thanksgiving-induced orgy of pumpkin greatness and wistful race planning involving the Pumpkinman triathlon, so there you go. Modifying a pumpkin muffin recipe to produce a dairy-free portable version of pumpkin pie might have contributed a bit.

Certainly have a chat with Victor to see if he can make things work a little better for you with the extra hip angle needed with the extension. It sounds like you've got a pretty good grasp of how the extension affects you and it should be factored into a bike fit tweak.

If you haven't already seen this and have the time and the technical inclination, check out the Slowtwitch article on gear ratios and crank lengths to see if you can achieve a shorter crank using a compact and still get the low gears you need for hills. On the page there is a link to a short crank database with lots of options.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nd_Gearing_4095.html

Maybe, just maybe, you can give up that triple.

I run a compact 50/34 with a 11-28 in the back and will likely need a big hip angle now that I'm slowly recovering from a hip labral tear repair. For me the gearing arrangement gives me enough low gears to take on just about anything on my road bike. That's with a fussy knee that does not like big watts on hills. I spin up them instead. I can't speak for your exact situation but that is what worked best for me.

Victor is a bit out of my neighbourhood but I will be looking into a proper bike fit once I can get going again. I have a solid lead on a local one who is also a physiotherapist. Your link I'm sure will be helpful for anyone around the Carolinas who is looking for a good bike fit. Positive word-of-mouth is the best endorsement. The site has some good articles I should avail myself of too. Thanks for that.

Keep up the great work and have fun out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Encouraging update on reducing hip flexion on the bike to protect my AAA stent graft extension, with thanks for input from this forum. [PumpkinEater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link, it's much appreciated.

My son gave me great advice on continued Ironman training with my issues, "Choose flatter races, DAD!!!" So, I transferred my Placid registration to the new Maryland race. My time wasn't great at Eagleman, but having a flat course sure made my bike time less lackluster than it might have been. My real issue is getting my run back, but it will come in time. Still only 6 months out of aortic surgery.

Your issues, hip labrum and knee, are interesting ones, though being interesting is not always good. My only comment is that you take care to avoid guarding, which could lead to other issues. I've found that Feldenkrais training, which fixed a chronic knee problem for me, and the guidance of my Continuum/Dance teacher, has helped me a lot in this regard.

Wishing you great training and racing.

Cheers,

Kevin
Quote Reply