Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"At Large" Xterra Worlds births..
Quote | Reply
So, I'm trying to make heads and tails of this; on xterraplanet and can't seem to figure out how the "at large" slots function...

Anyone more famliar with the process?

I under the first two ways to qualify to Maui, but the at large process seems a little unclear..
Quote Reply
Re: "At Large" Xterra Worlds births.. [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, you simple apply and pay your money and you will get in. I think they have some sort of monthly lottery but as far as I know, and have experienced myself, you get it. You can cancel and get a 90% refund.

Apparently, at least until last year, you could show up with a check and get in. It is a difficult time of year for most and still not an epic event a la IMH, so it doesn't sell out. They set-up the at large berths in anticipation of one day needing a sort of lottery.
Quote Reply
Re: "At Large" Xterra Worlds births.. [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks R-dogg,

That's what it appeared to be to me also, but I wasn't quite sure if they had a lottery or what.. cool beans..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HOLY CRAP!!! $225 US for a 1.5k swim / 30k mountain bike / 11k trail run race?!!! You have to be kidding me? AND you have to fly and stay in Hawaii? Wow, you guys must love that race
Quote Reply
Re: "At Large" Xterra Worlds births.. [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it is getting a little pricey (used to be around $175) but it is a great, and I mean great, experience. Some of the features which have been discussed widely on this forum and in numerous magazine articles:

The best pre-race/post-race banquet food and locale I've ever seen/heard of. Post-race costume party is always memorable and usually involves drunk female pros doing outrageous things in skimpy outfits. (I won't even discuss the post-post-partying)

Beautiful location, great race hotel, friendly and helpful race staff, laid-back attitude by all concerned.

The chance to race in a relatively small race with a number of world-ranked triathletes, sit in the jacuzzi and shot the breeze with them, and in some cases, race alongside them (especially the weaker mountain bikers who are cruising Xterra after IM Kona). One year this little guy came up to our banquet table, asked somewhat shyly if he and his family could sit with us. We said sure, then realized it was Ned Overend after we pulled out faces out of our plates.

And the race itself? As the Big Kahuna likes to say, "If it was easy, they'd call it Ironman!" Don't laugh until you've done it. But you will be smiling at the end of the race (well, maybe after you walk out of the med tent).

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
******Disclaimer-I have no true idea if this is correct*****

the at large slots are basically there to fill the race to capacity. Anyone can enter but as far as I understand it they are not guaranteed entries. The race is capped at 450, maybe it was 400, say 101 people enter at large. Say 300 (were going with the 400 cap here) qualify via Xterra races, then the 101th person who registered for at large gets bumped out. Actually they are pretty lenient so I doubt that would happen but that's the idea.

$225 for a 1.5K/30K/7 mile or so run. yeah it's expensive but you get your money's worth big time. The two dinners are awesome, best, yes BEST race dinners you'll ever go to and there are two of them. The food is good, the people are cool, the atmostphere is a party Both nights. Then the race, you get waaaaay more than your money's worth in suffering and pain;) Longest 30K or your life! It's on Beautiful Maui, the swim is gorgeous (well new swim this year), the bike is an adrenaline rush especially the plunge, you're around and passing people all the time as there are no drafting rules (think triathlon without all the anal rules on the bike course:) And when you're done you get a beautiful girl putting a lei around her neck (and hands off the lei girl, she's a friend!) and a nice cold bottle of water. Relax the day away on the beach, hit the awesome spread at the dinner, watch the movie they've already thrown together of the days race complete with "bloopers" aka endos and collisions (hopefully you don't see yourself here), hit the dessert table again and then head back to change into your halloween costume for the party! Ever wanted to see Conrad Stoltz in a trucker hat, wife beater, and cut off jean shorts with a 40 hanging out of his pocket in his "white trash" costume... Live band, lots of crazy people and then when it's all over you go home having just had one of the better weekends of your whole year. It's hella worth the $225 entry fee!

Who cares if you qualify, yes yes this degrades the world championship status, but it's basically a big party anyways that just happens to revolve around a race. Go at large, then qualify when you can. You'll have a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: "At Large" Xterra Worlds births.. [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

...and usually involves drunk female pros doing outrageous things in skimpy outfits. (I won't even discuss the post-post-partying)...

I'm so f**king there next year!

Of course, it's because I love this sport, and the adventure, and the travel, etc...

Well that, and the drunk female pros..
Quote Reply