Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon...
Quote | Reply
was just on their website using the shoe fit tool thing for the One2 and put in the 3-Sum as a comparative tool and the 3-Sum 1.5 came up!! Looks pretty cool. Wonder if the sizing will be set more inline with the rest of their shoes for this version. Wish I knew when they were releasing it...

Andy Mullen
Team Zoot
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From an ad I saw in Runner's World, it seems the weight of the show has gone up, but that's the only detail I've seen so far. I'll probably stock up on the first generation of the shoe as I can.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [geauxtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should be available in July in the US. From what I remember (aside from color), and don't quote me, 7.8oz, 18mm height, the heel cup is lower as they have incorporated a different loop.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [andy515] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 3-Sum 1.5 (and the Lone Peak 2.0) is available for pre-order at Running Warehouse. The upper of the 3-sum looks completely redesigned. So I'm sure some people will love the change ad some people will hate it.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-ALTRAMS.html
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because I liked the One-2 so much, I tried the 3-Sum 1.0. Unfortunately it was nothing like the One-2 and I didn't like it at all. Sent it back for another pair of One-2.

This new one -- if it's more like the One-2, I might give it a shot
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My understanding was that the 3-Sum 1.5 was going to keep the same bottom and midsole as the original 3-Sum and the original One. I would expect the ride would be more like those shoes than the One2.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah well. I will just use the One-2 as my tri shoe for long course (or for those courses where I want a bit more cushioning). I just wish there was a version better suited for sockless use. I haven't built up my traditional calluses this year...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this is public yet or if I'm allowed to share...

2014 The 3-Sum 1.5

It appears to be the same or similar sole as the original 3-Sum with a new upper. I haven't had a chance to test The One2 yet, but I think it has the potential to be the best tri shoe/racing flat Altra offers. It's a pretty significant departure from The One and other Altra shoes.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Last edited by: Cody Beals: Jun 11, 14 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
I haven't had a chance to test The One2 yet, but I think it has the potential to be the best tri shoe/racing flat Altra offers. It's a pretty significant departure from The One and other Altra shoes.

The One^2 is badass and super light. I love it and feels like I could run in it all day
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting that the women's model has 6 mm more stack than the men's version. I wonder what size I'd be in the women's? Also, do you happen to know if the stack height listed includes the 5 mm removable insole?

I just ordered the One2 and can't wait to try them. Currently rotating through the Olympus, Torin, and Lone Peak and love them all. I'm happily running without pain for the first time since I herniated a disk in my back a little more than a year ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that you're running pain-free :)

I'm not sure whether the stack height includes the insole. I'll email my contact at Altra Canada to find out...

ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Last edited by: Cody Beals: Jun 11, 14 18:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those look good! My only complaint with the original is the laces. I've never been able to get lock laces to work properly, they're always too loose. Anything over a 10k and my feet slip and blister on the bottoms
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try replacing their laces with Xtenex laces. You can easily set them, they don't slip. You can even make one part tighter than another part and they'll stay. They're brilliant

http://xtenex.com/xtenex-laces/
Last edited by: JoeO: Jun 11, 14 19:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
I just ordered the One2 and can't wait to try them. Currently rotating through the Olympus, Torin, and Lone Peak and love them all. I'm happily running without pain for the first time since I herniated a disk in my back a little more than a year ago.

Every time I run in the One2 I just can't believe how good they are. I've put 200 miles on them so far. I'm up to 6 pairs stocked up and slowly building my cache...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they meant to look like bowling shoes?

OK OK they look pretty cool but why does so many tri shoes come in such horrid colors?

http://RoadID.com/...te/4HC4V-TAFQ9XPJDTX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
Also, do you happen to know if the stack height listed includes the 5 mm removable insole?

Just followed up with Altra. The insole is included in the stack height.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Altra 3-Sum. When I have used them sockless, I find that my toes actually move around too much, and I start getting a blister under my right second toe (beside my big toe). I don't think I could handle a sockless race longer than 10K in them. With a light pair of socks, they seem to be much better, but in my opinion, if the toe box was not quite as big, it would be a better shoe. This is just my opinion, and others may feel the exact opposite.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same opinion on the One2. They are the best shoes that I've run in (over 20+ years of running).

How many miles are you expecting to get out of them? I have about 125 miles on my first pair and I'm thinking maybe 250 miles tops.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [drp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I expect over 1,000 miles. Seriously.

1. I know I won't split out the sides on these, thanks to the wide toe-box. Splitting out the sides is what's worn out most of my shoes.
  2. And I won't wear out the outsoles because the first thing I do when I get a new pair of shoes is to put a light coat of "Shoe Goo" over the parts of the outsole that I tend to wear down. It protects it from wear. I re-apply the Shoe Goo every, 50-100 miles or so. It essentially keeps it in pristine shape
  3. So the only thing I should have to worry about is the midsole compressing. But in my experience, that midsole compression people talk about is damn near nothing. So minor. I think what people really wear out is mostly the outsole and then they think its the midsole that's gone. And given how much cushioning there already is where I need it, even if the midsole did compress a lot, these would still be better than 90% of the shoes I've ever worn.

I own 6 pairs already. Still stocking up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
It appears to be the same or similar sole as the original 3-Sum with a new upper. I haven't had a chance to test The One2 yet, but I think it has the potential to be the best tri shoe/racing flat Altra offers. It's a pretty significant departure from The One and other Altra shoes.
Curious what differences you see. Like a number of their shoes and The One has been great for racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [brigby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brigby1 wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:

Curious what differences you see. Like a number of their shoes and The One has been great for racing.

The biggest change to the One2 seems to be the outsole. It's gone from full coverage rubber that is found on most (all?) other Altra shoes to mostly foam. Rubber is great for durability, but it's stiff, heavy and can feel kind of dead. The One2 appears to have a Kinvara-like outsole with the signature Altra foot-shaped toe box. Perfect combo for me.

The redesigned upper is thinner and more minimal with fewer seams, which should improve barefoot comfort.

I found this review helpful: Altra The One2 (Squared) Review: A Complete Redesign

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounding good to me too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
brigby1 wrote:
Cody Beals wrote:

The biggest change to the One2 seems to be the outsole. It's gone from full coverage rubber that is found on most (all?) other Altra shoes to mostly foam. Rubber is great for durability, but it's stiff, heavy and can feel kind of dead. The One2 appears to have a Kinvara-like outsole with the signature Altra foot-shaped toe box. Perfect combo for me.

The redesigned upper is thinner and more minimal with fewer seams, which should improve barefoot comfort.

I found this review helpful: Altra The One2 (Squared) Review: A Complete Redesign

As much as I like the 3-Sum for triathlon The One is really my favorite shoe. I'm really looking forward to The One2 (on their way) and I think with some speed laces they will become my new tri shoe.

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Altra might be releasing the 3-Sum 1.5 soon... [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. That's my plan as well.

Quote Reply