Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 2 edition
Quote | Reply
Happy June!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic week: 40 miles total, signed up with a trainer for strength/PT. Now my legs hurt and I can swim 45 minutes without getting tired. I feel like I'm in the perfect place for my taper week before the race next Sat. I still don't know how two of my bike rides came out exactly the same distance - Wednesday was a trainer ride and Saturday was outside!

3x bike
3x run
1x swim (sore arms from a mini-workout on Wednesday limited this)
1x strength (legs)

Also cooked a ton of healthy meals and made some delicious rice bars. Down two lbs and 1% body fat with a long way to go.

The other major accomplishment was a week without drinking. Easier than I thought, but oddly zero impact on sleep, energy, or weight (I was prepared for some serious withdrawal symptoms since it has been years since I /haven't/ drank). Now I'm just focusing on moderation. We found an amazing vegan restaurant in SLC for a treat to celebrate - I need to sneak back in and steal their beet dip recipe!

This week's goals: easy 30-60 min every day, lots of stretching/ice/rest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure. I missed a planned bike ride because I didn't want to get up in the morning and then was too tired after a bad run.
Otherwise, everything for the week went as scheduled. I came back after the bad run later in the week with two better ones.
Race day Sunday, this week is a pretty easy / light taper week. I'm a tiny bit nervous about the race since my lead-in to it has been a bit different than times past... I'm also a tad concerned as there are 1700 people signed up for the race which has only had a few hundred in years past - I hope they are able to handle the larger field. It could be disaster.

I'll get back to a more 'regular' schedule after the recovery from this Sunday's tri. That will be much better.

In other news, the running relay I'm doing in July - I found $14 run singlets and I'm going to make an iron-on to iron onto a piece of cotton fabric and then sew to the front of the singlets with the team logo! I'm excited about this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ehhhh.

Bad:
Trying to regain ankle ROM hurts. A lot. A lot a lot.
The brace they want me to use is seriously uncomfortable and pinches my foot
I cried in PT because I realized my body is a complete mess and I feel like I will never, ever be whole and strong again
I'm exhausted
My jeans are tight
I can't sleep

Good:
Transitioning out of boot into brace + sneaker over next week and a half
I rode my bike for 15 mins in the brace + sneaker both Sat and Sun and felt awesome after, it was JUST long enough for some good chemicals
I had an awesome massage
I still haven't missed a day of exercises and I am making (slow) progress
Everyone at work has been very kind to me today (my first day back)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epic ride on Sat. 6h30 from my house to Whistler. Man can I feel the strength in my legs from skating!!! Holy cow! Rode the 53/42 bike too... Love passing guys haha! 3 more rides, 4 runs, lots of walks, big hike with dog. All good stuffs.

This week: 3 runs, 5 rides including 4 hr on Sat, yoga, will try to skate once. Boo yeah! :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to see my friend come in second at the USA Cycling Championships on Monday and hang out with Mr. Kristi (ha). Then this past weekend I did my first bike races since last summer. Three races over two days (road race, time trial and crit). Not last, not last, last. But my teammate won the omnium and we had 8 of us there so it was lots of fun.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keep at it, katcycles! Is there some way to modify the brace so it's more comfortable? Awesome that you're transitioning out of the boot anyway, and if your PT thinks you're strong enough to start hurting you with ROM exercises that's usually a good sign. Keep the faith!

Last week's goals:

Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN
Run x 5: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

I took Monday off completely, as I was both wrecked and sick - it wasn't until Wednesday that I could actually eat anything without severe abdominal cramps. I have to wonder if I swallowed some funky lake water at the tri. In any case, I barely ate anything the first two days of the week, but got back to regular training Tuesday.

Sunday I ran a 5k trail race with a HUGE hill in the middle of the out and back course, not expecting much at all - no taper, no hill repeats, no top end speed after the marathon and I cycled up to the race itself. Imagine my surprise when I was 3rd woman and 12th overall. Pretty sure that was my first ever O/A podium - hooray for small fields! So I feel like I might have redeemed myself from my crappy placing at the tri the week beforehand. I also had fun afterward cycling over to Kitchener Bikefest to see lots of happy people enjoying cycling, and still made it to the pool late in the afternoon. Freakin' win all around.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 4
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Sunday is the Cambridge Tour de Grand, a family-oriented cycle touring event that my husband and I have done each year since 2010 that offers routes of anywhere from 10km up to 160km. We haven't got a whole lot of mileage in this year so we'll probably be sticking with the 72km, but no matter what I'll have fun rolling around Grand River country with my sweetheart on my pretty new wheelset (that replaced the rear wheel destroyed when I was hit by a car May 5th).

I actually put them on Saturday night so Sunday morning (up to the trail race) was their maiden voyage - clearly the new hoops are a performance enhancing drug!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Grats on the race! Did you not have a race profile beforehand? That would screw with me so much! Your bike is gorgeous - glad there was minimal damage.

One of the dangers of having moved to a new location where cycling and tri are big is the high number of shops to explore... We went into a tri shop yesterday and somehow I walked out with a pair of new carbon bike shoes that cost half my monthly food budget. Oops... I just fell in LOVE (and it doesn't hurt that they weigh a quarter of my old ones!)

My husband didn't believe they are the most expensive shoes I've ever owned.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I ran the same one last year, but they'd had to make a course change last-minute as heavy rains had flooded out part of the trail they wanted to use. There was a big stinkin' hill, but the turn-around was at the top, and it was on a paved driveway rather than trail so a much easier go all 'round. I honestly don't get course profile info all that often - I just take what the day hands me. Despite being bigger and heavier than is ideal for distance running I tend to be strong on hills because my giant butt and legs power me through, and I do have a bit of a masochistic tendency to choose challenging races anyway.

I feel you on the "crap I suddenly have new carbon bike shoes" thing. When I was picking up my bike from being inspected after the crash, the shop owner decided to lend me a wheel of his just so I could get riding again. While he was setting it up and putting it on the bike for me I happened to notice these and my husband (who had seen the state of my 5-year-old tri shoes the week before and been unimpressed) insisted they come home with me, since they fit really well.

I'm a spoiled brat. I'm almost convinced Cliff took an extra few minutes with the wheel just so I'd have time to find something in the shop I couldn't leave without!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
HAHAHA! That's awesome (and how can you resist when they match...). I was blown away that when we said we were just browsing, the sales folks left us alone - that would NEVER happen in CA. They didn't even interject when I started digging through the pile of boxes find the right size shoes and didn't fuss when I opened a pair of socks (I knew I'd buy them, but needed to try the shoes with the right socks). I definitely think you deserve new ones after 5 years - mine were only 1 y/o, but were only $40 off the sale rack.

Taper week is driving me nuts!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:
Keep at it, katcycles! Is there some way to modify the brace so it's more comfortable? Awesome that you're transitioning out of the boot anyway, and if your PT thinks you're strong enough to start hurting you with ROM exercises that's usually a good sign. Keep the faith!

Last week's goals:

Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 3: WIN
Run x 5: WIN
Core/strength x 4: WIN

I took Monday off completely, as I was both wrecked and sick - it wasn't until Wednesday that I could actually eat anything without severe abdominal cramps. I have to wonder if I swallowed some funky lake water at the tri. In any case, I barely ate anything the first two days of the week, but got back to regular training Tuesday.

Sunday I ran a 5k trail race with a HUGE hill in the middle of the out and back course, not expecting much at all - no taper, no hill repeats, no top end speed after the marathon and I cycled up to the race itself. Imagine my surprise when I was 3rd woman and 12th overall. Pretty sure that was my first ever O/A podium - hooray for small fields! So I feel like I might have redeemed myself from my crappy placing at the tri the week beforehand. I also had fun afterward cycling over to Kitchener Bikefest to see lots of happy people enjoying cycling, and still made it to the pool late in the afternoon. Freakin' win all around.

This week's goals:
Run x 6
Bike x 4
Swim x 4
Core/strength x 4

Sunday is the Cambridge Tour de Grand, a family-oriented cycle touring event that my husband and I have done each year since 2010 that offers routes of anywhere from 10km up to 160km. We haven't got a whole lot of mileage in this year so we'll probably be sticking with the 72km, but no matter what I'll have fun rolling around Grand River country with my sweetheart on my pretty new wheelset (that replaced the rear wheel destroyed when I was hit by a car May 5th).

I actually put them on Saturday night so Sunday morning (up to the trail race) was their maiden voyage - clearly the new hoops are a performance enhancing drug!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Those are some pretty shoes, ladies! Very jealous.

To answer your question: Altering it would stop it from doing what it's supposed to do. I've ordered some other braces that are supposed to protect in the same way, but that don't have the pinchy feature, to show my doctor next week and see if I can get his approval for a different one or to just sleep without a brace. It's fine when I have weight on it. He was very. specific. about the brand and model of brace, so I'm not holding my breath. Still, like the boot on a bike thing I have to ask, "Theoretically I get why you're asking me to do this but have you ever actually tried it?!"

My PT just said it would be extra incentive for me to work hard and get out of it ASAP. (Which is in 2-3 months.) Yup!

I spent 4.5 hours sans boot today. I'm going to try for 6, but I am a little achey from PT. Still, this is movement forward and that's exciting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for this week
no food issues I WIN!
run 45 mi or less close ran 47.5 mi but did take a day off
swim 20k done w/ long swim of 7.5-8k 7200 yds close enough. I thought I had said 7-8k...

M: 6 mi run + 6500 yd swim
T: 5.5 mi run* + 3600 yd swim
W: 10 mi run + 1300 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 20 min stairmaster + 2000 yd swim
F: 7200 yd swim
S:8 mi run** + 1800 yd swim
S:12 mi run

*track 4 x 800 3:08
** 5 x 1.25 mi @ 7:40, 7:20, 7:00, 7:20, 7:40 pace

Totals 22,400 yd swim + 47.5 mi run + some other stuff (stair master/walking wu and cd's)

Goals for this coming week
23-25k swim with long swim of 8+ km
day off from running
run mileage ~45 or under (Definitely not over 50mi)

This is the last week before finals week and I have So. Much. To. Do.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ageilcipher - congrats on a super good week!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks :D You all have been such a great inspiration - it's amazing how much better I feel for the regular exercise, less drinking, and home-cooked healthy meals.

I didn't even let it get me down when I told my mom about my new bike shoes and sent her a pic... to which her response was "Not gorgeous, LOL!"

Someday I might even be able to swim a tenth as far as you in a week ^_^

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Bad:
Trying to regain ankle ROM hurts. A lot. A lot a lot.
The brace they want me to use is seriously uncomfortable and pinches my foot
I cried in PT because I realized my body is a complete mess and I feel like I will never, ever be whole and strong again
I'm exhausted
My jeans are tight
I can't sleep

Many hugs. I don't know what else to say. Hope the transition back to work is going well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
I didn't even let it get me down when I told my mom about my new bike shoes and sent her a pic... to which her response was "Not gorgeous, LOL!"

We clearly think differently. ;-) Keep it up, you're doing great!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 2 edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the podium!

Quote Reply