Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [toolbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin will definetly need to step it up in that department to remain in the game. There are some similarities, from what I've read, on the Fenix2 and the V800, and differences as well. Thanks for adding your comments as I don't have a Fenix2 so wouldn't be fair to comment. I'll stick to the 910xt vs V800 as they are both dedicated Tri watches and I have them both.
Last edited by: Tony5: May 31, 14 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I tested the battery life yesterday in run mode, GPS on nomal (V800 has setting for endurance events that is advertised for 50+hrs), wearing the Polar HR. After 12.5 hrs, the battery showed 7% remaining. You get an audible and visual warning with a low battery that you can't miss and then see % remaining on screen. I could probably write a blog post on how your HR changes doing daily and nightly activities...it almost became a game but I digress.

So, from 7% battery remaining to 100% recharge using usb to computer, it took 1hr34 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The real upside of me is during the winter.

BTLE 4.1 supports multiple masters.
So, you can have your Wahoo Kickr transmitting data to your PolarV800 and your iPad/PC during trainer road.

Also, I have always found racing tri with a wrist computer a pain. Impossible to see power during the ride.
If you have a stages PM (or some other PM with BTLE) then you can record the entire race data on the watch AND still view power on the bike computer.

I am thinking of investing in a second PM; Stages is out in front currently because of BTLE compatibality.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sub-3-dad wrote:
The real upside of me is during the winter.

BTLE 4.1 supports multiple masters.
So, you can have your Wahoo Kickr transmitting data to your PolarV800 and your iPad/PC during trainer road.

Also, I have always found racing tri with a wrist computer a pain. Impossible to see power during the ride.
If you have a stages PM (or some other PM with BTLE) then you can record the entire race data on the watch AND still view power on the bike computer.

I am thinking of investing in a second PM; Stages is out in front currently because of BTLE compatibality.

You can do all this with Ant+ as well.
My Quarq is transmitting to my 800 mounted on my stem and to my 910 on my wrist at the same time.
The Quarq is able to transmit to Trainer road and my watch at the same time.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are both right...As I have the Kickr, Quarq, 910xt, V800, and Edge 500...do what each of you are describing..

I think we are seeing a transition to BTLE led by the mobile industry. The move to BTLE is staying ahead of the curve as most of us now live off our ipads and iphones.
Quote Reply
Race Data Link [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I did first race with the V800 and it worked as advertised (minus the power where I still relied on Edge). What was really nice was the immediate view of the data on the App...worked great. Besides that, I made this public to show what the you get on the data side. Test on the 'relive' button, really cool feature. It will be nice when the data sharing is available. I will also include in next post the Orthostatic test I did prior to the rest. It will be a nice tool to compare your performance from race to race with your recovery status going in.

https://flow.polar.com/...ng/analysis/15636436
Last edited by: Tony5: Jun 1, 14 7:48
Quote Reply
Orthostatic Test Link [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Orthostatic Test Link [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMHO, polar is on the right track.
I sense that in a few years, much sooner than we realize, one normal sized watch in a not so expensive price range will be able to :
- Track HR, maybe even sweat on the wrist 24/7 without a chest strap
- have gps functionality and maybe even live tracking
- be a very efficient swimming/running/cycling computer
- may even track other sports and distinguish them from each other depending on your movement so no need to switch inbetween modes anymore
- weight almost nothing
- look casual enough to be worn everyday.
- track sleep
- track steps
- track more stuff than I can think of
- last a very long time on a single charge.
- sync instantly with your phone/computer.
- have time WITH SECONDS PLEASE.
Quote Reply
Re: Orthostatic Test Link [alexvpaq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has last 8...I do wish it measured HR on the wrist but it plays well with the Miolink...

tracking, sweat? Interesting idea!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Data Link [Tony5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
So I did first race with the V800 and it worked as advertised (minus the power where I still relied on Edge). What was really nice was the immediate view of the data on the App...worked great. Besides that, I made this public to show what the you get on the data side. Test on the 'relive' button, really cool feature. It will be nice when the data sharing is available. I will also include in next post the Orthostatic test I did prior to the rest. It will be a nice tool to compare your performance from race to race with your recovery status going in.

https://flow.polar.com/...ng/analysis/15636436

Very cool! Thanx for sharing! I think having the data on one page is a real plus vs Garmin Connect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is great information. I really appreciate you taking the time to give an objective opinion on both watches. I'm in need of an upgrade from my Timex Global Trainer (battery is only lasting 6 hours now...and i'm not that fast in IM distance...YET...HA).

I have a V800 on order, would rather have the blue one, but would rather start using a new watch sooner than later. Have played with a 910xt as well and like the features so I can only presume i'll equally like the V800 features.

I don't have power, but have cadence/speed sensor for my bike cptrs (ant+) so that's an issue i'll need to address if switching to BTLE technology.

Wondering: Can you change the 1sec GPS settings on the bike vs run to get longer battery life out of it in GPS mode? 5 sec mode in the bike could help the battery life, i would presume. Suunto has that setting so I'm wondering if that's a possibility in the V800?

Thanks again for the great info.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [trigeekrusk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes You can. That being said, it lasts at least 12hrs on full mode. It states 50hrs on long lasting setting that is easily switched for each profile on the watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Yes You can. That being said, it lasts at least 12hrs on full mode. It states 50hrs on long lasting setting that is easily switched for each profile on the watch.
PERFECT! I really hope i'm done by 12 hours... unless something goes wrong w my body during my IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
You are both right...As I have the Kickr, Quarq, 910xt, V800, and Edge 500...do what each of you are describing..

I think we are seeing a transition to BTLE led by the mobile industry. The move to BTLE is staying ahead of the curve as most of us now live off our ipads and iphones.

If you are iPhone yes. Android users BTLE/ANT+ makes no difference
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 vs Garmin 910xt [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point and important to add that the app for android is not ready yet to the best of my knowledge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice chart and stats...I'm sticking with Polar.
Gonna graduate from RCX5 to V800 soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
important to add that the app for android is not ready yet to the best of my knowledge.

damn! Another hurdle for me.

When they get Android
When they get export to TP
If the Ant+ bridge from 4iiii works, I will do it.

So place your bets, what comes first, all this or my 10th trip back to Garmin for warranty on my 910xt :-)

Also, is it only the Polar HR strap that works in the water ? The 4iii is supposed to be waterproof, I wonder if it works in the water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where to start with this...I think data export is scheduled for September based on Polar information. I'm sure Polar can correct me.

It is not the waterproofing that allows the HR strap to work, it is the signal. My miolink is waterproof, as is my Garmin, but they won't transmit.

Sorry can't comment too much on the Android, so my feed back is just what I have read/heard on the subject. I'll be testing the Ant bridge as soon as I get the pod or the 4iiii strap, most likely the pod. I plan on just taping it under the seat permanently if it works and it shouldn't be too expensive either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought the Ant+ to BLTE thingy was in the 4iiii HR strap. No ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes from what I read it will transmit the signal...since I haven't tested it yet, I don't want to state this with certainty...shortly...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tony5 wrote:
Yes from what I read it will transmit the signal...since I haven't tested it yet, I don't want to state this with certainty...shortly...

So if you want to use an Ant+ device, you have to use the 4iiii HR strap (viiiiva).
The question is if you use the 4iiii strap, do you get HR in the water.

Imagine a situation where I want to record HR on the swim and Ant+ power on the bike, in a single session, without having to change HR straps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Also, is it only the Polar HR strap that works in the water ? The 4iii is supposed to be waterproof, I wonder if it works in the water.

ANT+/BTLE transmits on frequencies (2.4 GHz) that have an underwater range of an inch or so. The H7 strap transmits on a lower frequency (5 KHz) which travels longer in water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 99.9% sure that it won't work under water because of the transmission protocols...they are coming out with Pod (for less $$) that will solve this issue...you are in same boat as me. So, I would wear the Polar HR during the swim, bike, and run, but have the small pod taped under the seat that would convert my quarq to BLTE for the v800...This is due out any day and the day it is, I will provide a definitive answer...

http://4iiii.com/products-pods/
Last edited by: Tony5: Jun 2, 14 11:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I might be wrong, but I don't think they are doing a bridge pod however.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "RELIVE" feature showed the Bo Diddley Lounge at the 59 second mark, classic!
Quote Reply

Prev Next