Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to keep the swim cap on
Quote | Reply
So, I have been applying conditioner to my hair before donning my silicone swim cap, in hopes of protecting my hair (which is colored). Works great for my hair, but my cap tends to slip on my head, sliding back some with each flip turn. Eventually, I have to pause my swim and readjust my cap, which is annoying.

Any suggestions? I've been wearing a silicone cap because I understood that lycra provided less protection against chlorine. Latex caps give me a bad headache.
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep the swim cap on [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guesses:
latex cap is too tight and that gives you the headache.
silicone cap is too loose, and you're using too much conditioner.
Most importantly, you are picking your head up too much going into the turn, which is making it go back - and or your head is too high while swimming, also pushing it back.

solution: head down, less conditioner, and next size down cap.

:-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the conditioner thing once too, cap slid off. Epic fail. Here's what I've learned from reading, etc.
1. Wet your hair with plain water (shower) because it'll fill in the "cuticle" so your hair will not absorb as much chlorinated pool water. Plus my cap stays on better w hair wet and rolled up.
2. Silicone swim caps: some brands/styles fit differently from others (I have longish hair so need to fit that in...) The ones that don't slide off have about a 1" textured band inside the cap (you can feel it and see it.)
3. Some of the really cute silicone caps are kind of small, made for the age group kids.
4. Not a plug for any brand in particular, but TYR ones that are pretty basic (no crazy prints...,) Blue70, and a HUUB cap rec'd in a goodie bag all stay on my head.
Hope this helps.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: How to keep the swim cap on [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
guesses:
latex cap is too tight and that gives you the headache.
silicone cap is too loose, and you're using too much conditioner.
Most importantly, you are picking your head up too much going into the turn, which is making it go back - and or your head is too high while swimming, also pushing it back.

solution: head down, less conditioner, and next size down cap.

:-)

Thanks to both of you. I don't think the cap is too loose - I have a lot of hair, and it fits quite snugly. I suspect that the problem was excessive conditioner to some extent, but primarily my head carriage.

I'm thinking I may stick with the same cap and conditioner, and use it as a way to train myself to keep my head down :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new silicone cap coming in next week that is textured with little nubs in a grid pattern on the inside of the cap. It's called the "gripper" cap. Plus, yes, you are using too much conditioner which doesn't really work all that well to protect your hair anyway. Since it's water soluble, it only protects for a short time. Your best bet is to wear a quality chlorine removing shampoo that is also more color safe than most salon products. More than one stylist has told me that their professional products aren't great for chlorine removal. I give them samples of TriSwim shampoo for them to give to their swimmer clients.
Quote Reply