Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worst. Spin Class. EVER.
Quote | Reply
Having recently moved to Utah, I decided to try the spin class at my gym (which I have thus far only used for the pool).

The spin instructor kept the room dark (really dark - not just dim) the entire time, sang along with the music, and only gave vague cues "if you can kick it up more, do it now!". On top of that, she spent 95% of the 30 minute class out of the saddle.

As I told the manager, "that wasn't a spin class, it was an elliptical class in the dark!"

Really disappointing experience. There are 2 other spin instructors, so fingers crossed one of them is decent. As much as my training has improved recently, I'm lonely :/

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer but on the bright side it still counts as a workout for the day, right?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I showed up 10 min early and did get a good 40 min workout (the bikes were the ancient kind where you turn the knob to increase resistance, so I used my HR monitor to gauge).

My hope was that in arriving early, I'd get to introduce myself and meet people. They all ignored me, greeted each other by name, asked after each other's kids... It was like 6th grade all over again, but with no bandroom to eat lunch in (and people had kids).

Then I donated blood. I feel like a brick now :(

Sorry to be such a whiner today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reads to me as if you had too much riding on the class. I expect nothing when going into anything new, especially when taking a fitness class. Everyone is different whether it is good or bad. I have been to many classes/sessions from gyms and studios and have found little satisfaction. From this, I have limited myself to a handful of instructors who work for me and do not waste my time. All you have to do is try, try and try again until a suitable fit is made.

Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
I showed up 10 min early and did get a good 40 min workout (the bikes were the ancient kind where you turn the knob to increase resistance).

THERE'S A BETTER KIND?

Haha, seriously, sorry you had a sucky experience. There is nothing worse than a crap spin instructor - we had one guy I nicknamed the jackrabbit because he'd do 5 min long out-of-the-saddle intervals at about 100 rpm. Another one did not stop chattering the entire time, 'keep it up, going strong, a little faster, a little slower, keep it up, you're doing great" omg please just be quiet. Then there are the ones who can't seem to pedal on beat, or aren't really fit, or etc. A good instructor is truly like gold.

Spin class groupies are a whole different thing. The classes at my gym are super cliquey, but if you show your face more than three times people start to warm up, especially if you take the class seriously and don't use your phone in it, etc.

Good luck finding a great instructor.
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The last time I did a spin class, the bikes had built-in computers, so you could just push a button to go up one gear. That said, they were all callibrated differently, so a 7 on one was a 14 on another, but I didn't have to lean down to shift.

Good to know everyone else is picky, too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so picky I just stopped going to spin classes. I think lowering your expectations & trying a bunch is the solution.

Don't give up yet - especially if you are wanting the social aspect too. Sometimes I think people just forget what it's like to be new or not know anyone - they may may not have thought they were being snobby.
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been going on solo rides, which is great for building up my strength (and exploring new trails), but yeah, the impetus for this was that I'm lonely. We moved out here for my husband's work and have one couple of friends (the guy who got him the job and his girlfriend who I am friendly with but ... she's not an exerciser by any stretch of the word). My friends in CA were marathoners. This girl makes million-calorie casseroles. I work in high tech, she doesn't work. I like trying new things, she wants stability. I'm psyched about turning 30, she pretends she's still 22.

It's very weird being 30 (almost) and trying to make new friends, especially being a childless, liberal, atheist, working drinker in a mormon state.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you about being a bit lonely. I have a lot of friends but they are mostly married or they have a large circle of friends so they aren't always available for the movies or whatever. A few have kids but thankfully not all of them. I'm a divorced, atheist, vegan, liberal, feminist, non-drinker, child-free 45 year old. I'm surprisingly quiet about all of those thing when with friends who aren't the same. Thankfully I'm not 100% weird for this area and I'm thinking I'll only really fit in here, even if the wet weather almost kills me. I've gone to a few classes over the years trying to find some new people to spend time with and I'm outgoing but it takes a two way street to make a friendship happen. Seattle is notorious for the "Seattle freeze" and I feel it.

I've been thinking about leaving the area but starting over completely, while single with no one to come with me, is keeping me in place for now.

Keep going to a class you find that you enjoy. I've also done a meet-up and while I didn't find someone to go to the movies with it was nice to meet others who think about some things the way I do. I also volunteer every Sunday at a cat rescue and while I don't hang out with any of the others outside of that I do enjoy their company. Maybe find something like that?

ETA: I've decided to take a huge roadtrip this fall and will mostly be driving by myself. I'm hopeful a friend will join me for part of it but I can't count on that. I'm meeting people along the way that I know but it will be almost 4000 of driving. I'm tired of waiting for company to travel with, I'm doing this on my own if I have to. I've become much more self sufficient and independent since my divorce. I mostly like it but occasionally, like this roadtrip, it would be good to have company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: May 24, 14 12:17
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good idea - I used to volunteer at the food bank in CA and it was a great way to chat with others from the area (though they were mostly church groups...). I'm wary of working with pets b/c I don't want to bring home any diseases to our 3 cats (and my tiniest fuzzball just got over being sick last week - it was awful to watch). When I was at Red Cross yesterday, they were looking for volunteers - that might be a good one, since I'm not squeamish.

I tried nodding and smiling and making eye contact when everyone was entering the spin class, but they'd beeline to friends and even the instructor called out hellos to certain folks by name. I feel like I need an "I'm not mormon but I'd like a friend" badge. I was also the only one in bike shorts and one of few to bring a water bottle and a towel. I'm just not sure how seriously they take it - in CA, there was a neat balance of hardcore athletes and social butterflies, but we all pushed hard.

On the plus side, I was SUPER motivated by seeing a guy in a wheelchair pumping iron (through the weird one-way glass of the cycle studio).

Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, I hope it works out to have a friend along. Road trips can get tiresome, or be a crazy blast! Where are you headed? If you roll through our area (Draper, UT), you are more than welcome to the spare room. Though we'll be in Vegas the 3rd week of Sept for my 30th bday (oh HELL yes). :D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which gym did you go to in SLC? Try the Taylorsville gym, or if you really want a crazy workout go to the JCC ask for Remy.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [WryMouth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm down in Draper, but I did just switch from 24 Hour to Golds - much nicer pool and facilities for ~$10 less a month. woo!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of the county rec places are 100s of times better than golds or 24 hour.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is one close to us, but the hours stink, especially in summer when there are tons of kids classes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one word. trainerroad.
seriously though. I have never been able to stomach spin instructors because of their serious lack of cycling skills. If it's the "group motivation" you're looking for, then go to spin class, stay in the back or off to the side, put your headphones in, and do your own workout. There are plenty of online programs and spin workouts you can follow on your own.
Or you can become a spin instructor and run the class your way while getting a workout in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Putting the spin class issue aside, let's talk about the making friends issue.

I have been the trailing spouse a few times and have had to start over in new places and make friends. I am a quiet, nerdy little introvert so it isn't easy. Like you I have tried gym classes. I never had much success there. Before you give that avenue up, however, try other classes, like Body Pump or whatever the hot class is at that gym. You may find chattier folks, or at least people who like to try new things. Is there masters swimming? At this gym or anywhere in the area? A running group? I have had more luck with running groups. Is there a tri club or an outside bike riding group?

Volunteering is a great idea.

What other hobbies do you have? Cooking? Wine? Reading? Is there a neighborhood group? College alumni?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A spin class in a gym is no substitute for riding your bike on the road. Seriously, join a roadie group. With the right group you'll make new friends and not feel lonely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agilecipher wrote:
It's very weird being 30 (almost) and trying to make new friends, especially being a childless, liberal, atheist, working drinker in a mormon state.

Try it again in 20 years and move to the south! I've met some great gals bike racing, so that's a plus.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Worst. Spin Class. EVER. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, well, I'm sure there will be times in my life that make it easier and more natural to meet people. In the meantime, I'm using my excess of free time to focus on my training.

I'm appreciative for all the understanding from folks - I know it's not a terribly unique situation. I tried riding with a group today and they turned out to all be SUPER religious (prayer before ride...) and my legs were burnt from my run last night, so I dropped off early and went on my own easy ride.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try stopping by one of the bike shops and hooking up with a group ride. Infinite Cycles in South Jordan has had a variety of group rides including women only rides in the past and I can't imagine that they would start out with a prayer... Canyon Cycles is also likely to host some group rides. I believe Wasatch Running also does some group runs, that might be a good way to hook up with some friends. My sister used to run with the Loco Motion runners and I had fun every I joined them for a run. We moved to Utah a few years ago, and it took a bit to hook up with friends.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! (Hi, it's me Remy, the afore mentioned spin instructor... Stumbled across this post quite accidentally!)

Summer schedule is a bit slower but I'm around Mon/Wed 9am at the JCC if you want to give it a shot! Or at another SLC gym. Sorry you had a bad experience! Great riding indoors and out, cheers!
Last edited by: ChicWasatch: Jun 1, 14 21:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My gym has a group of ladies that is less than welcoming, but I just started chatting with other newcomers who felt like misfits, and now we have our own group - but we're friendly and still try to introduce ourselves to new members. I don't do any group classes, but I enjoy the chitchat in the locker room.

Good luck,
Diane
Quote Reply