Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Memorial Day Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the womens are well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Memorial Day Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REALLY good week!!

Glad I tried the spin class and am slowly ramping up everything else. My last two workouts have been milestones in that I'm not feeling winded from the altitude anymore (SO frustrating!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Memorial Day Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice. Altitude is good for you - wait until you race at sea level :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for this week:
- no food issues I WIN!!!
- swim 20k no with a long swim of at least 6500 yds not that far last week... but I did 6500 this morning ... B-
- run mileage 45 or less nope.

M: 9.5 mi run* + 1000 yd swim
T: 6 mi run + 5000 yd swim
W: 7 mi run** + 2000 yd swim
T: 7 mi run + 2600 yd swim
F: 4000 yd swim + 3 mi run
S: 12 mi run
S: 8.5 mi run

*3 x 5 min @ 8.4, 8.6, 8.8 mph w. 2 min recoveries, 2 min @ 9.0 mph, 2 min easy, 3 min @ 9.0 mph
**.5 mi w/u, 4 x 1 mi 8.0, 8.2, 8.4, 8.6 mph, 1.9 mi c/d

Got cramps on Friday running... see if I swim then run ever again... I like running first!

My shoulders were really achy on Friday, thus the 2 days off from swimming. I did shoulder exercises on F after I got out of the pool and that helped, but I decided to give them time to recover, then swim long, rather than try a long swim on the weekend and wind up hurt. I also needed a mental break from the black line... at least I got a 5k and 4k swim in last week, if nothing super long.

Goals for this week
no food issues
run 45 mi or less
swim 20k w/ long swim of 7.5-8k

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 4: WIN
Bike x 4: Eeh, I did 4 rides if you count to the market & home from the market (~10k each) as 2 separate rides.
Run x 6: WIN
Core/strength x 3: WIN

The tri on Sunday was a bit of a shit show. Water was 14c/57f, and while I felt like I swam pretty well, my time was the slowest it's been in years (a lot of other slow times on the swim too; either the cold water or the course was a bit long). Got cut off at a turning by a pickup truck; he was stopped by the police at the intersection where we had to turn right to head to the turn-around, letting other athletes make their lefts to go back to the race site safely. Problem is, he stopped with less than an inch between his truck and the deep poured gravel shoulder, so myself and a few other athletes had to stop, unclip and dab our way through in order to make the turn.

Finally getting off the bike, I just couldn't get my breathing under control on the run. It was sunny and hot - the first really hot weather this year - and I just have zero top end speed right now. It just hurts so much to push hard, and I still seem to be moving through molasses.

Was 01:49 slower than last year and 16/19 in my AG. The only good things I can say are that my navigation in the water was good, my details stuff went well (all items properly prepared in transition, no issues clipping in or dismounting, got my computer started right away at the mount line), and I didn't walk on the run. I'm sore all over today, totally out of proportion with what I'd expect after a sprint (and a damn slow one at that). I feel completely wrecked.

It's got to get better from here.

This week's goals:
Swim x 4
Bike x 3
Run x 5
Core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
A BIG HELLOOOOO to everyone!!!

TC - how do you run then swim - my kick disappears completely when I do that!!!

Mistress K - don't beat yourself up! You've been going long and are that cold water probably sapped all the energy from your legs - plus you have had to recover from a nasty crash - that takes alot out of you. I bet in a few weeks you will be kicking ass!

Me - Been training but not getting as much time in as I would like (story of our lives). It is the end of school year push with my classes. Graduation was yesterday and now I just have to get through giving and grading exams and then year end planning meetings. Then I am free to play professional athlete for two months!!! Meaning, I can train myself silly, eat, nap and do it all over again. I am so looking forward to naps and catching up on sleep!!!!

This week - I just have to be thankful if I can squeeze in something each day. Running is going well, riding is getting better each day and swimming is still the absolute bane of my existence!

Happy training all!!!! And I hope all the injured womens are healing!!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Memorial Day Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Healing slooowly.

PT is still going well. My exercises from start to finish can now take up to 45 min, with a 10 minute spin. It's pretty @*!()ing impossible to ride in the boot, because it won't stay on the pedal, slips and hits the frame, or is just really hard to stay with the pedal stroke when your ankle won't flex due to the enormous black boot. I am walking in the boot more easily and looking forward to the next few weeks, when I get to start weaning out of this thing and into an ankle brace. Once that happens, and I am cleared to push off of things in a straight line, I can start adding resistance on the trainer and also be able to get in the pool.

I can't wait to be able to do stuff again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mon - Fri AM - Dad and brother were here. So, spent time with them.

Sun/Mon - Drove down to Chattanooga to spectate the USA National Cycling Road Race Championships. My friend Megan came in 2nd!!! So very excited about that. Got to see some of my Californians and hang out with Kristi's husband. A very fun weekend.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Memorial Day Edition [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOOORAY that PT is going well!!

Sounds like cycling is leading to much frustration - I hear ya! Give it a few weeks and take it easy - don't worry about the bike - if you are in this for the long haul, a few weeks easy to just heal might pay off in big dividends later. You may want to look at this article - it might make you feel a little differently about the forced rest from the ankle surgery.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...pside-downtime_99487
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Memorial Day Edition [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
HOOORAY that PT is going well!!

Sounds like cycling is leading to much frustration - I hear ya! Give it a few weeks and take it easy - don't worry about the bike - if you are in this for the long haul, a few weeks easy to just heal might pay off in big dividends later. You may want to look at this article - it might make you feel a little differently about the forced rest from the ankle surgery.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...pside-downtime_99487

That is a great article, and I know I'm better off for the rest, but it's part of the recovery protocol I was given to ride on the "stationary bike," to try and "maintain cardiovascular fitness" (10 minutes - HA!) so I'm being told to do it. It's just highly impractical.

Today's PT = doubleplus ungood. Scar tissue from one of the scope portals was causing all kind of pain, tightness, and issues. Finally, my PT took pity on me and hooked me up to the ultrasound and stim machine with an icepack. I was so happy and proud to get there without crutches (my first time out without them,) and then more frustration. :-( Hopefully the second session this week goes better.
Quote Reply