Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Work Clothes
Quote | Reply
I have always had trouble finding work clothes that fit properly and now that I have started training for triathlon it's worse than ever. I hoped some of you might be able help.

My legs are muscular and I have broad shoulders so my waist and hips are about two dress sizes smaller than the rest of me. I've been making do with sort-of-all-right skirts but would love some trousers for work (and actually some for casual wear as well).

I live in the UK but will be back in Canada for a visit shortly so North American suggestions are fine, too. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [MadNellie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have the leg issue, but I can't get shirts that fit. My shoulders require a large, my chest a medium and my waist a small/med. I buy size large and take them in on the sides. I usually do it myself, but nicer/more complicated things I take to a tailor. I like the new genes towards more flowy tops, but even those I take in some because the armpits end up being huge or have extra material.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the broad shoulders/small waist issue too :P the most annoying thing I find with that is that it's hard to find dressy jackets, or button down shirts, that look good.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brooks Brothers.

When it's good, it's good. When it's bad, you suffer.
Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not knowing your style but Halogen at Nordstom makes nice pieces that may work for you. I have a big butt and thighs and am narrow in the shoulders yet find Halogen XS to be big for me.

Quote | Reply
Thank you for the suggestions...will have a look online!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're in an urban area a with a Nordstrom, book an appointment with a personal shopper. They'll get your measurements and style likes ahead of time and it will save you a ton of time and energy. It's a free service and the convenience is priceless.

I pretty much have given up on trousers. I have one pair that kind of fits (from Nordstrom the Quinn fit.) Other than that pair, I wear dresses or skirts everyday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can always order basics online to test.

I'd recommend a thicker-fabric, stretchy, straight-leg pant. This will hug your thighs without adding bulk, won't bunch, but won't shorten you (avoid anything that widens at the bottom).

To add a more feminine curve, a vest will tighten at the waistline, working the natural hourglass you'll have between your shoulders and thighs. I'd recommend sheer or silk blouses - they won't add bulk like a mens-cut collared shirt. If you pair a lighter-colored undershirt with a dark vest (or shell from a twin-set), the eye is naturally drawn in, reducing the effect of your wider shoulders.

Dresses like this will also hide hips while nipping in at the waist and the flowy fabric hides the shoulders - it's also easy to throw a sweater or light blazer (remove shoulderpads) over for more formal work.

That said, rock that athletic bod - you earned it - and good luck finding things you feel comfortable in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No Nordstrom near me so may have to make do with House of Fraser or Selfridges :) The personal shopper idea is a good one.
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great. Thanks!

After having a brilliant time at my first triathlon on Sunday and discovering I could go faster than I'd thought, I am definitely not going back to semi-couch potato-hood, even if it widens the wardrobe choices ;)

Lots of good ideas, agilecipher, will steel myself to go shopping soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadNellie wrote:
No Nordstrom near me so may have to make do with House of Fraser or Selfridges :) The personal shopper idea is a good one.
One can never go wrong with Selfridges or Ms. Selfridges for accessories. Surely you will find nice pieces at both stores along with work shoes.

Quote | Reply
Fortunately, finding nice shoes is never a problem in London :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadNellie wrote:
Fortunately, finding nice shoes is never a problem in London :)
you are preaching to a one woman choir. Years ago I flew over multiple times just to do some weekend shopping and concert going. London is my city!

Quote | Reply
Hi
I know EXACTLY what you mean....
Take a look at the dresses we designeed. ES{PECIALLY for this reason at Alii Lifestyle www.aliilifestyle.com...made in Italian performance fabric, same fabric we use for our beautiful bike jerseys...team with a jacket and pumps for the office...or strappy heels for a night out!
Quote Reply
Re: Work Clothes [andineu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am much smaller in waist and hips and find that Banana Republic fits me well. I am business casual for work so end up wearing slacks with a stretch in them and they work perfectly. In other stores, I buy pants to fit my legs and get the waist and hips taken at the tailor. It works for me so far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have also had success with Banana Republic. I have big legs and a small waist so I usually buy their curvy fit but in one size smaller than I would usually wear. Otherwise I have to get all my pants taken-in at the waist...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x3 for Banana republic. 80% of my wardrobe is BR.
Quote Reply