Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

maybe becoming a runner...
Quote | Reply
so for the longest time i've considered 30 min a pretty good goal for a 5k. i never run 5k races but only get that time from teh split in a sprint and haven't done sprints for over a year (maybe 2?) and was just kinda going off my training times. normally i run about 7min per km. so i figure i'm slow. normally i race a half and a full (IM) but this year i'm doing a lot more racing and taking out the IM. I did a sprint last month (and took 2nd OA (and i'm 54 this year, go me!)) and the 5k split was 27 some minutes so i figured the course was short. today i did another sprint and my 5k was 27:45 or so and I wasn't racing as hard as i should have (I was 10th OA and my big swelled head burst :)) so wow. shocked am i. for me i never imagined 27 min for a 10k. i think i'm beginning to be an (albeit old fart) runner. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: maybe becoming a runner... [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent last year focusing on half marathons and found great satisfaction in "shorter" distances. Shaving time off a half marathon or shorter is so satisfying. Almost immediate results and running races are cheaper and less hassle than triathlons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I'm with Jen that it is nice to run shorter races - my goal in getting faster at shorter races is it will turn into better marathon times down the road. (can't run 7 min pace for a marathon if you can't run 7 min pace for a 10k and so on)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
excellent.... any xc races in your hood? I love xc = shorter races. Racing a 5k can be very hard - learning to pace, push, suffer. I still remember cracking 30 and being ecstatic. keep it up!

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny that you have always considered 30 min a good 5k time. I've always run around a 30 min 5k and considered it extremely slow! I am a tri newb (first one in 2 weeks), but I'm pretty sure I won't do more after this... I just love to run, and I do not love to bike or swim. We will see how I like the race though because that's what always sucks me into running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you! The same thing happened to me at a New Year's race this year; I was stunned at my 27:20 time and I had something left in the tank at the end.

Keep moving forward-you have all of eternity to be still ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply