Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mobix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the carbon windows you can use this one:

http://www.powertap.com/collections/accessories/products/powertap-battery-holder

mobix wrote:
Hello,

I would need a replacement for the battery holder of my wired PT.
From the website it looks like I cannot use one of the newest one (for SL+ etc).
Could you please let me know what is the model and where I can find it?
Thanks in advance

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [irishpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the massive delay in getting back- have you been able to resolve this? Might be something best handled via our support team via email.

A replacement may be in order.

irishpat wrote:
Hey Jesse,

I am happy to say that I went ahead and purchased the newer g3, I also purchased the Joule-non-GPS and some sensors and a powercal, The powercal is working great, one of the sensors is working-the other one is not. The hub is working great, however, the Joule started acting up. I cam home from my first ride with it, and as I was coming in the door ot showed the low battery symbol, I said fine, I'll put in a new battery, I did that-it was still having the same issue, I pressed AC, i tried reset a/l bootloader, but it could not find the device. To top that off, it is now showing Memory full, I have it cleared, there are no rides on it. it is showing up in poweragent as having 25.5 hrs of rides, when I go in to download-there is nothing there, I thought maybe if I went in there it would give me the option to clear it that way, no ride showing up.

I cleared it from the Joule itself, but it still shows up on the screen as memory full.

I am very frustrated, I do appreciate the customer service ye offer, but to ring from Ireland, costs a lot and I was on to Jamie in Tech support for nearly 2 hours trying to locate files that were not importing into the new version of poweragent, he was able to get me sorted, but what am I gonna do about this Joule now? I have a race tomorrow and was hoping to use it.....I see there were a few other people with similar issues, were they able to sort it? I really don't want to be without a computer.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [irishpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best bet is that one of your devices is set to display average power with zeros while the other is not.

irishpat wrote:
I have been having trouble with my g3 readings on my joule, today I did a race and the average wattage was 233 on one joule and 212 on my joule GPS, that's quite a difference...... anyone know why this would be occurring? I was wearing a powercal HR strap, and the HR readings were fine, I checked that the power averaging is every 5 seconds on both joules....... anyone? thanks......

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hvywghttrigy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, probably want to set up some service.

hvywghttrigy wrote:
Hi Jesse,

I changed my batteries in my PT Elite + because my Garmin wouldn't pick it up when I went to calibrate it. After changing the batteries the first time I calibrated it my PT read 490, thought I was okay. As I was riding the power #'s didn't correlate with my ride. At the top of the first hill I recalibrated it and it then read 390, at this point I new something was wrong. Any ideas? Do I have to send it in for service?

Thanks,
Chris

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I bought a used wireless 2010 Powertap SL+ (carbon windows) six months ago. It was working fine until a few days ago when my Edge 500 couldn't find it. It briefly found it in a search, the average watts was 1w, then nothing. I changed the batteries, put in two brand new ones, but still nothing. Any ideas? What are my options as far as rebuilding etc?

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm about to pull the trigger on a new G3 hub. I've been a loyal PT customer for a long time and have owned several wired and 2.4 SL hubs. I have been reading some of the posts about the G3 and I'm a little nervous about the reliability of this hub. Am I just seeing the few minor issues that have come up? Or, is this release not as bomb-proof as the previous generations of PT hubs? I'll be pairing the G3 with a Joule GPS.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rhet0ric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exact same issue with my Garmin 510. The Garmin shows that it has found the Powertap, shows that there is battery strength in the Powertap, but won't record any watts data. I don't think my issue is the PowerTap....I'm pretty convinced it's the Garmin.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue is a little different. The Garmin Edge 500 is not picking up the ANT+ signal from the Powertap. The Garmin will pick up others' power meters, so it's not the computer.

Graham Barron Design: Custom west coast house design http://www.grahambarron.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rhet0ric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking for help with my old wired LYC which will not clear memory. I posted this question in the wrong part of the forum a couple of days ago so sorry if you're reading this twice.

I’m a big powertap fan, new Pro wireless system on my race wheels but still using my old wired Pro model on a training setup since it is until now, bulletproof and simple. My wired cervo 2.4 yellow computer works flawlessly but recently, will not clear memory. I think this may have occurred after I connected to PowerCal for the first time in a year, and it may have done a powercal or firmware update. Not really sure. I have been using WKO+ and Trainingpeaks most of the time and doing the Clear manually on the computer itself. The LYC is not that old, probably 3 years or so.

I’ve tried everything. New battery. Using another download harness, resetting several times with Powercal, running all the diagnostics in the manual. Removing the battery, cleaned pins, etc. It communicates with Powercal just fine, allows me to change settings without problems. No luck clearing memory though and both the download manager and powercal say there are no workouts stored. It works fine otherwise, recognizes the hub and ANT+ heart rate strap.

I realize this is an old system but would really appreciate help on how to clear the memory and get it back to normal.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why do you think it's the Garmin? also, how did you check battery strength in the 510?
I am having a somewhat similar issue.
I got a used PT SL+ last month, and first time I used the PT outside, it worked for about 20min then Garmin stopped showing data. Changed the battery.
In today's morning ride, PT worked for about 1.5 hrs then it stopped. My Garmin 510 won't find it doing the search function. Then just kept riding and about 30min later I tried to locate my PT and found it and worked ok for the rest of the 5hrs ride. Not sure what it is. I have a Power2max on my other bike and no issues there.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Powertap Wired LYC Shutting Down intermittently Mid Ride [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a wired powertap LYC. The firmware is up to date and the batteries were recently changed in the LYC and hub. The power data, cadence, speed, etc is all good when the LYC is working, but the computer shuts off multiple times mid ride and automatically restarts. This resets my trip to 0 miles each time. When I download the data after the ride there are usually a few entries for Jan 1, 2005, but the total mileage is much less than what I rode. Advice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A race requires bike check-in the day before the race. Because the weather forecast threatened rain, I didn't want to leave the Powertap CPU unit (the yellow unit) on the bike during the night. I went ahead and zeroed out the torque, CLRed out the unit, and removed it from the bike. Then I left the unit in my hotel room and took my bike down and racked it. On race-day morning, I placed the CPU unit back on the bike and pressed the left button. The display showed only the word "host." Nothing I could do in transition area or during the course of the race ever got me any display other than the word "host." (Naturally, this had never happened during my training leading up to the race.)

After the race was over, as I was removing my stuff from transition, out of curiosity I hit the button again. Now the unit finally displayed what it was supposed to display. #$%&*@(!!

BTW, the batteries in the hub were changed within the previous month. The display itself was clear, so I think the batteries in the CPU unit were okay.

So did I make a mistake by detaching the unit from the bike? If not, what did I do wrong?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a power tap wheel rebuilt, it was working fine beforehand with my Edge 500, now since I got it back it won't pair or find the power tap when I search for it on the Edge, i've gone for a cycle on it and I tried to discover it throughout but no luck. I changed the power tap batteries recently so doubt its that, any ideas or suggestions?
I'll try borrow another Edge or Garmin to see if I can pair that to it, to find out if its the hub or what

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [duffyshuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify it's a powertap pro hub not a g3 and has two batteries inside and then a small grey box with ant+ written on it.

No USB port is visible, how do I update firmware on it?

Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Eppur si muove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in the past when I used PT and LYC, getting the LYC connections wet sometimes led to HOST, ie heavy rain. nothing to do with batteries. reverted back later, like you , after event. mine happened mid race
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There had not been heavy rain (that threat never materialized), but it was a humid, dewy morning. I'm not that technically savvy, but since I have a wireless unit I assume the connections you're talking about are on the unit itself, not on the mount. So if they got wet, it would have to have been picked up from contact with the mount. Maybe I should have made a point of wiping it dry before mounting the unit?

-----
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
Which is probably why I was registering 59.67mi as I rolled into T2.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great Thread!

On race day, do I simply do a pre-race ride to ensure the unit is operating correctly, check the offset and/or manually zero it, rack my bike, turn my joule 2.0 off (or leave it on), jump on my bike after the swim and hit 'mode' to turn it on?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [TriathleteEd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your pre-ride with your PowerTap a day or so before. I guess checking the offset is a good best practice but there's nothing you can do about it if something is off - except hope that a Manual Zero brings it back in sync. During transition setup I'd turn on the Joule 2.0 make sure it can "Find" your hub and any other devices like HR strap. Let it go back to sleep and then after the swim, hit the Mode button while you are changing and you should be good to go. In dozens of races of varying distances I've never had a problem with my PowerTap. That said, the Joule GPS stopped counting TSS at 500 last year during an Epic event (203 miles) that I did. PowerTap just fixed that and increased it to 5000...we'll see if I can get to 5000 anytime soon...
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the PowerTap G3 with a Garmin Edge 500.

The hub is 6 months old with about 1000 kms on it. It worked flawlessly until today. Seemingly randomly in what started as a normal ride, the power readings were in the 3000-4000W range for a normally 150W output. I re-calibrated with the garmin edge. At zero torque the calibration reading is 239. In the past this was in the range of 510-515. I have changed the battery, updated the firmware, and tried resetting by removed the cap for 10 seconds. It has not changed anything. Calibration reading is 239.

Am I a victim or can this be corrected somehow? Does anyone have enough knowledge about these powertap hubs to explain how it could randomly move so far from normal calibration? I don't know if I have the patience to deal with this. I would like an explanation as to how this is possible before I go through the hassle of trying to send a wheel in for re-calibration. How can I be sure this is not going to be a regular occurrence. Not sure what to do. I researched power meter options for years before making the leap with my money to the Powertap G3. Now I am not only disappointed in the hub but in myself for this decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted this on the main forum. Cross-posting here for more looks.

I have a new PowerTap G3 11spd compatible hub. I have a Shimano Ultegra 6700 drive train and 10 spd 11-28 cassette installed.

When I received the G3 hub/wheel, I used the provided spacer - see picture below. The cassette loaded on no problem and I was able to screw the lock-ring on and tighten without any issues. The ONLY issue I experienced was my shifting was off, way off...by about one cog. Meaning I couldn't get into my 28 at all. Took it to the LBS and in 30 seconds they adjusted my limit screw and dialed in my shifting. Rode 4.5 hours yesterday, no issues.

My question is...have I installed the G3 hub with the 10 spd cassette correctly? The chart here: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...acers_2013_3978.html
says I need both a 1.85 and 1.0 mm spacers installed. Like I said, all I have is the black spacer provided by PowerTap with the G3 hub. Even though it shifts fine, am I really okay long-term to not have the other spacer included?

Thanks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one more question...this is going to sound a little goofy but I'm serious. There's a little red rubber band that is on the freehub body, seemingly there for just keeping the spacer on while there's no cassette. Serious question...is this rubber band supposed to be left on when the cassette is installed? Or, should it be removed before the cassette is put on?

See the red rubber band closest to the fingers?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

Do you guys plan to update the Joule for SM-EWW01 compatibility?

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rubber band only serves to hold the spacer on. Remove before flight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purchased a used SL+ wheelset. Took it to my bike shop, asked them to change out the battery. I assumed they did since I paid for it, and it sat in my garage a few months. When I took it out for a test, I couldn't sync it to my Garmin. I changed out the battery and I got it back.

Since, I had a few rides, but nothing more than a couple hours worth. I did a gran fondo today, and I was getting readings during the whole ride. After parking my bike, getting some food, it wouldn't sync anymore. I had about 6:40 of use today. Is that all I get?

Anyone else have this kind of an issue? Thinking I might have to just send it in to get looked at?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the G3 with a garmin edge 500. It is very new with approximately 1000 kms on it. The season has basically just begun and it was built over the winter.

It worked flawlessly until yesterday. On a normal ride it started out with normal readings. During the ride, the power readings became extremely high 3000-4000W range for a normal 150W output. I did all the checks when I returned home. I updated firmware, replaced the battery, tried 10 sec reset. My garmin edge displays 239 for the calibration reading at zero torque. I remember in the past it was approx. 510. What are my options here? This thing is basically brand new. I can't understand why it would suddenly need to be re-calibrated. What would cause this to happen?
Quote Reply

Prev Next