Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here was my post from the first page....

ericM40-44 wrote:
this thread needs a meme

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [ngrabow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ngrabow wrote:
Assume there will be additional slots going to some other age groups as well since, sadly, the women in the 65-69 and 70-74 age groups were DNF's.

Female reallocations go to female athletes don't thyroid?
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Although I don't think I commented on the thread, but as I read it over the months my thought was similar to others. He has the goods, tenacity and capability, but I would have said that is not all that matters to KQ. You have to have the capability AND a near perfectly executed race. As he demonstrated, it's possible to get it close to right the first time, but that is very unlikely with all that could go wrong. I'd have to say that having a resource like Slowtwitch where you can glean things off of others' experiences (if you can stomach and sift through the noise) is a great help that can shorten the learning curve. Cam pointed out very early that luck is involved too, and I'd say that the fact that he most likely got the first rolldown was pretty lucky. It's hard to plan luck, but you need it when you are on the bubble.
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [WX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! I only followed this thread in bits and pieces throughout the past months, but couldn't help following you online and cheering for you yesterday. I even clapped when I saw you on the live feed crossing the finish line and I don't even know you! :) Awesome job out there. You should be very proud of your accomplishment at setting a lofty goal and then getting it done! I'm crossing my fingers for you that you'll get to do it all over again in Kona this October!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron07 wrote:
Ok be honest, who today needs to sit down with a big ass bowl of crow and chow down?

Right here! I like mine sautéed. :) I didn't think he had any reasonable chance shooting for the race in Cabos based on the time he had until the that race and the amount of training time he was able to put in. I think chugging to IMTX was the best thing he could have possibly done as it gave him a few more months.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good points Russ.

Russ Brandt wrote:
Wow, even your summary is exciting! You did an incredible thing yesterday, and as others have said, you deserve a ton of congratulations. There are many people that have the hardware to KQ, but getting race execution just right is a hard thing to do. Your bag mishap could have easily been the difference between qualifying and not. There are guys that got left out because they stopped to pee, tied their shoes or other similar seemingly small things on a long day. The fun thing about this sport is that next time I bet you have pink ribbons all over your bag so that doesn't happen again, but there are any number of other "mistakes" that lurk out there for the next time you race. (FYI, if your next race is Kona, they'll take all your bag decorations off, another thing that makes that race really cool). Keep on chugging and enjoy your summer!

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iron07 wrote:
Ok be honest, who today needs to sit down with a big ass bowl of crow and chow down?

here's what I said on page 2. My comments weren't so much that he couldn't do it, but that he was (at the time, all running no swimming or biking) doing it wrong and he needed to get his mind wrapped around the problem (the Ironman is all about the bike, because the run). Coming from somebody who knows, who did what he did but on a much longer timeline. Ability is only half the equation, as Russ said the other half is execution and those of us mortals on the bubble who have gone to Kona have been feasting on the tears of the vanquished not because we were more able but because we were more ready to execute and to do what it took.

some of us say what we say because the truth hurts, but it's tough love. Rereading this thread there are plenty of $400/mo coaching comments from some very smart and helpful people, if you know what to look for.

ericM40-44 wrote:
I probably already said this on page one but I'm too lazy to check.
you're grossly mis-priortizing your training time. you've got it all backwards really. You could probably squeeze by with 25mi per week of running and then allocate that additional time to biking.

we've already discussed your swim at length. it's going to end your day at TX, no doubt.

way more swimming, more biking. less enthusiasm and positivity and some critical thinking as to how you're really going to accomplish this. IM roll downs are littered with the weeping carcasses of guys like you, and further the back half of the marathon at Kona is littered with guys who just *knew* that they were going to go sub-10 at Kona but end up walking to 11:00.

step one: control what you can control.

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone needs to apologize here.
I read most of the thread, and people were honest, and there was a LOT of really good advice.

Reading WX's posts (and some quick internet stalking) tells you that the guy is smart. Realistic about his weaknesses (and managing those weaknesses) and he was not deterred by the negative stuff. Not that all of that guarantees success, there were a couple of very talented M25-29's out there. And there was some good luck.

Great post, great race by WX, good luck on the rolldown.
And amgray13...great race execution! You had a really gifted runner trying to run you down!

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [IMPBAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMPBAZ wrote:
I don't think anyone needs to apologize here.
I read most of the thread, and people were honest, and there was a LOT of really good advice.

Reading WX's posts (and some quick internet stalking) tells you that the guy is smart. Realistic about his weaknesses (and managing those weaknesses) and he was not deterred by the negative stuff. Not that all of that guarantees success, there were a couple of very talented M25-29's out there. And there was some good luck.

Great post, great race by WX, good luck on the rolldown.
And amgray13...great race execution! You had a really gifted runner trying to run you down!

Paul

I agree. He's way beyond my skill set but you could tell from the start he was different than "raw speed", "Sub 10 IMLP First Triathlon Ever", etc. I think this thread should be a sticky given the story and how he even made a last minute switch on IMs because he did not feel he was ready. No excuses. Love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M2529 Kona Slot presentations:

Sylvan Smyth | http://www.sportstats.asia | sylvan@sportstats.asia | Starvas
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incredible!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HUGE congrats to you; and, equally awesome, big-time congrats to the masses of STer's who made this such a cool, positive thread. Really nice to see. See ya' in Kona! barry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walking down those steps looked a bit painful.

Congrats WX!!

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alright!

3Aims and WX, congrats to both of you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
M2529 Kona Slot presentations:

Very cool!! This dude has become a ST legend!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, he's officially claimed his spot. That means Kona preparation starts today and the congratulations are officially closed. Time to reharden The WX up. I'll start. You went down those steps like a total pussy. No way will you break 10 in Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats Tripp!!!!

So the top 3 did not take a slot? You came in 4th right? Great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, WX!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread...You the man Wang!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats !!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [jime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jime wrote:
Congrats Tripp!!!!

So the top 3 did not take a slot? You came in 4th right? Great race!

3rd already got a slot at IMAZ
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be the greatest thread in Slowtwitch history. Congratulations.

Now do humanity a favor and start a "One shot at curing cancer-here goes!" thread.
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
This may be the greatest thread in Slowtwitch history. Congratulations.

Now do humanity a favor and start a "One shot at curing cancer-here goes!" thread.

HAHA! This!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Good to see a Boston guy grab a slot!
Quote Reply

Prev Next