Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [greenjp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great time and great thread. Hope to hear an official "I'm in" coming from him soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race. It has been fun lurking here!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [joggernut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joggernut wrote:
Both 1st and 2nd are QT2 teammates. I don't have any inside info on if they are taking their Kona slots, but would be surprised if they did not...

PeteDin206 wrote:
IMPBAZ wrote:
Kind of unusual for athletes of this caliber

Guess we will have to wait and see.

There is a lot of stuff on 2nd on Athlinks, but no other races for this year (or late last) that would indicate a KQ. The 1st place guy is a bit of an anomaly. He has raced IMTX before (took 3rd last year) but really nothing on him using my GoogleFu. Only thing I could find was his Twitter which indicates he races for/with Elite AG QT2

Looks like the guy in 1st is not a QT2 but with this guy's squad out of Boulder, look at the first post on his FB page, says he is NOT taking the Kona Slot! Looks like WX is a LOCK!!

https://www.facebook.com/BorgerEndurance/timeline

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
joggernut wrote:
Both 1st and 2nd are QT2 teammates. I don't have any inside info on if they are taking their Kona slots, but would be surprised if they did not...

PeteDin206 wrote:
IMPBAZ wrote:

There is a lot of stuff on 2nd on Athlinks, but no other races for this year (or late last) that would indicate a KQ. The 1st place guy is a bit of an anomaly. He has raced IMTX before (took 3rd last year) but really nothing on him using my GoogleFu. Only thing I could find was his Twitter which indicates he races for/with Elite AG QT2

Looks like the guy in 1st is not a QT2 but with this guy's squad out of Boulder, look at the first post on his FB page, says he is NOT taking the Kona Slot! Looks like WX is a LOCK!!

https://www.facebook.com/BorgerEndurance/timeline[/quote[/url]]

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [amgray13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amgray13 wrote:
Nice race and awesome first IM, WX! I was the third place, but a fellow poster is correct, I got a a KQ at IMAZ, let him know in the finishing shoot and he seemed relieved. I hope there are three slots or a nice roll down.

Thanks Aaron! (And you mentioning you were passing on your slot saved me from hours of anguish) And to everyone who has been following this thread / today. It has been an incredible journey and I'm in an incredible amount of pain.

A meatier recap to come later, but a few notes from today:
- T1 was due to me being an idiot and grabbing the wrong bike bag. Then had to go all the way back to return it from the changing tent. Yes, I am that dumb.
- The run was the hardest marathon I have ever done. Parts of me I didn't know had muscles were cramping all over the place.
- I heard 3rd place was around 4 minutes up with around 6 miles to go, just went for it... and couldn't quite do it. Props to Aaron for running a great race and for commenting on ST within an hour. That's an amazing combo.
- Did I mention an ironman is frickin difficult? The swim was hard. The bike was hard. The run made me question my love for running. And I really enjoy running.

Will go to the roll down and hope tomorrow. The post around first place passing on his slot was from last year, sadly. Also I heard that M-Dot gives out awards to the top 5 per age group? (Couldn't find any details in the athlete guide so was debating whether or not to attend the awards ceremony tomorrow)
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [WX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better go to rolldown. Did you see the guy from the timing company say there are 3 slots??? DUDE, YOU ARE GOING TO THE BIG DANCE!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for kicking ass, following you has been a treat. Awesome performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Show up,

I believe you'll get a free Timex HRM or GPS for top 5,

So you could use it save it for a christmas gift or just give it away etc . So show up to get a free watch at least.

Read the post from sports stats, looks like you've got a spot.

Read the rules and show up on time…..

I saw the 25-29 winner at IMC show up 5 min late for her spot in 2012….denied.

Any ways I've said show about 4 times.

Great race and a great story, goes down as one of the best ST threads without some element of cheating, Ferns, Fins etc.

Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX wrote:
amgray13 wrote:
Nice race and awesome first IM, WX! I was the third place, but a fellow poster is correct, I got a a KQ at IMAZ, let him know in the finishing shoot and he seemed relieved. I hope there are three slots or a nice roll down.

Thanks Aaron! (And you mentioning you were passing on your slot saved me from hours of anguish) And to everyone who has been following this thread / today. It has been an incredible journey and I'm in an incredible amount of pain.

- T1 was due to me being an idiot and grabbing the wrong bike bag. Then had to go all the way back to return it from the changing tent. Yes, I am that dumb.
- The run was the hardest marathon I have ever done. Parts of me I didn't know had muscles were cramping all over the place.
- I heard 3rd place was around 4 minutes up with around 6 miles to go, just went for it... and couldn't quite do it. Props to Aaron for running a great race and for commenting on ST within an hour. That's an amazing combo.
- Did I mention an ironman is frickin difficult? The swim was hard. The bike was hard. The run made me question my love for running. And I really enjoy running.

Will go to the roll down and hope tomorrow. The post around first place passing on his slot was from last year, sadly. Also I heard that M-Dot gives out awards to the top 5 per age group? (Couldn't find any details in the athlete guide so was debating whether or not to attend the awards ceremony tomorrow)

Fingers crossed on having 5 months to prep for Kona where you will hopefully have a shot at running Aaron down again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX wrote:

Nice job on your race!

WTC podium is 5 deep at NA races, so you'll get an award, but watch/HRM only goes to 1st.

WTC has changed the rolldown procedure this year. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on get called for kona slots. You have to be present to accept.

Gone is the earlier sign up for the outright qualifiers and then a separate rolldown.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
There are 3 slots for M25.

Woot!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get your checkbook!

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Generally impressed. Congrats.

Quote | Reply
sylvan wrote:
There are 3 slots for M25.

Awesomeness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assume there will be additional slots going to some other age groups as well since, sadly, the women in the 65-69 and 70-74 age groups were DNF's.

---------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
joggernut wrote:

PeteDin206 wrote:
IMPBAZ wrote:

https://www.facebook.com/BorgerEndurance/timeline

FYI, that is from 2013......The AG Winners Twitter account says he is on QT2. But Sylvan said there are 3 slots so sounds like WX is in since 3rd won his AG at IMAZ.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WX wrote:
amgray13 wrote:

Yes, you get an award and the slot allocation is done there, so don't miss it! Congrats!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [sylvan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This means that he will get a slot within the rolldown! This would be awesome for him!

-D
Last edited by: TriDav: May 18, 14 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fantastic race WX, seems like you executed almost perfectly.
Great thread to follow - love the fact you were happy to put your goals out there. Looks like you've got that KQ spot, you absolutely deserve it.
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [TriDav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is epic. The dude puts his balls on the table almost a year ago. Got stepped on, trampled, slammed, & made fun of. With that said, there were some good bits of advice even early on. He weathered the typical ST onslaught, stuck to his training without fail, went out there & destroyed that course with a bike+run split combo that many (myself included) can only talk about. This ranks up there with T3 & others as all-time greats - easy to kill an afternoon re-reading, but with a positive vibe. From the looks of things he's in without having to hope for a roll down. Congrats WX, you deserve it man.

Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long time lurker , first time poster. I love reading the stuff on this forum. You guys have taught me so much but never wanted to post. After watching this thread from the beginning I decided it was time. Awesome job WX! Freaking unbelievable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I expect there will be another flurry of posts around 1:45 today. Good luck on the roll down. We are looking forward to expanding this thread for another 5 months. Cheers!

Ps - Mrs. Tropic also says good luck. Although, she isn't so excited about this thread continuing on (there must be something wrong with her./pink)
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [TropicPlace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta say when I finished I got on as soon as possible to see where he finished. Great work out there WX!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, even your summary is exciting! You did an incredible thing yesterday, and as others have said, you deserve a ton of congratulations. There are many people that have the hardware to KQ, but getting race execution just right is a hard thing to do. Your bag mishap could have easily been the difference between qualifying and not. There are guys that got left out because they stopped to pee, tied their shoes or other similar seemingly small things on a long day. The fun thing about this sport is that next time I bet you have pink ribbons all over your bag so that doesn't happen again, but there are any number of other "mistakes" that lurk out there for the next time you race. (FYI, if your next race is Kona, they'll take all your bag decorations off, another thing that makes that race really cool). Keep on chugging and enjoy your summer!
Quote Reply
Re: One shot at Kona - here goes! [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok be honest, who today needs to sit down with a big ass bowl of crow and chow down? Went back and re read some of the early posts and like was said above, this dude got hammered pretty good for his dreams. Admittedly I thought this wouldn't last especially since the thread went cold for a long time and he had some vacations (missed training time) in there but dude killed it on race day.

Way to go WX, you are the 2014 version of Julie Moss, going to inspire a whole new generation of dreamers!
Quote Reply

Prev Next