Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

1st Olympic tri. What should I wear?
Quote | Reply
I bought a pair of Sugoi tri shorts (these ones: http://goo.gl/Larj8Q) to do my first triathlon on June 1st. The bike portion is 29 miles to make up for a short swim. Does anyone have experience with these shorts to know if they'll be sturdy enough for that distance? They feel really thin, but since this is my first tri, I don't have anything to compare it too.

Also, I was thinking to just wear a built-in bra top (I have one similar to this: http://goo.gl/oiNF6e) with a fast drying sports bra instead of buying an actual tri top.

What are potential complications with this set up? I am a DD cup, so part of the reason I haven't bought an actual tri top is because everything I've tried on is too damn small for me!

Any help appreciated. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Olympic tri. What should I wear? [esposatuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shorts look fine for a race of any distance. As for your top, I would wear a really supportive, wicking sports bra (like a CWX) and then a top similar to the one you linked but without a built in bra. With two bras, it seems like your potential for chafing is really increased. Tri or sleeveless biking shirts are nice because they usually have a small pocket to hold a gel, salt tabs, etc. Have fun at your race!
Quote Reply
Re: 1st Olympic tri. What should I wear? [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much! I've been considering upgrading my bra, so I think that's what I'll do. I have several other shirt options, and the double bra thing makes sense, so I'll have to devise another shirt plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One big thing to consider: if you're not going to wear a wetsuit for the swim, a tri top (with reasonably designed pockets, good fabrics and that fits you properly - snug without impeding movement, but no excess material) will likely act less like a parachute in the water.

Even if it's a shorter swim, there's a huge difference between feeling like you're towing a barge in a draggy general fitness or running singlet vs. a good tri top. Some tri tops even incorporate fabrics that are supposed to have less drag in water than bare skin.

If you'll be wearing a wetsuit, you can disregard drag issues, but a tri top may also dry faster to make you more comfortable on the bike & run.

I have an older version of the tri shorts you linked, and they're just dandy for any distance.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: May 16, 14 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you decide to wear, practice with it before the day. As you probably know, don't do anything new on race day. If you like those shorts, wear them a time or two to make sure they don't cause problems. Wear your top on a swim, bike and run workouts (they don't have to be back to back) to make sure it's comfortable for all three.
Good luck, and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We need wetsuits wife. Let's get shopping.
Quote Reply