Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A new shiv i build up for one of our athletes, this bike came out beautiful.

She bought the Shiv Elite because it was the color she wanted. We built it up with 10-speed Ultegra DI2

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mile2424] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Champion! Cheers :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
do you have to pull the crank to change the drive side rear brake pad on the shiv?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [andykronsch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have typically been able to adjust the brake pad without pulling hte crank, but it requires steady hands and a lot of patience. Then again, pulling the crank off just adds another step to the process. I'm really considering swapping it out for a tririg omega.

Thoughts on being an Urban Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to change the rear brake just pull the rear wheel out. There is plenty of space to put the pads in even with a couple beers in you.

You don't really need to pull the cranks to do anything that does not involve the cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. I got the 'few beers' part down. The rest should be a cakewalk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh excuse me. "Recovery Drinks"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally took some pics of my new warrantied frame with some upgrades.

Old bike for references

New frame with slighly more aggressive fit and upgraded to SRAM Red front & rear:

Frontal area with Zipp BTA bottle & garmin mount along with TriRig Omega:

My View:

Got these at the very end of last year but custom Team RWB decals:

All ready to go for IMTX.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [StuckJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike. What is that strapped around the seat post on the new bike (a bag? with three straps)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dprocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spare tubular for IM this weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those using the Fuelselage what other hydration systems are you using? I don't want to use the one built into the saddle so I was seeing what everyone else had.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
For those using the Fuelselage what other hydration systems are you using? I don't want to use the one built into the saddle so I was seeing what everyone else had.

xlab torpedo with carbon cage!

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shivermetimbers wrote:
loutriguy wrote:

xlab torpedo with carbon cage!
do you have a computer attached also? Any pics?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
StuckJB wrote:
Finally took some pics of my new warrantied frame with some upgrades.

Old bike for references

New frame with slighly more aggressive fit and upgraded to SRAM Red front & rear:

Frontal area with Zipp BTA bottle & garmin mount along with TriRig Omega:

My View:

Got these at the very end of last year but custom Team RWB decals:

All ready to go for IMTX.

Very nice rig....good luck with IMTX!!! That back of your seat and seat post looks like a complete mess though.....no aero concerns?

"I would definitely smell her seat after a century ride"
Rappstar wrote:
That might be the post of the year right there.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [shivermetimbers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not too worried. Its a Sitero wing with 1 bottle, pump on 1 side, pit stop on the other. Have a spare tubular attached behind the seat post but only the width of the tube is would cause any additional drag. And all of that is behind me.

First race running with a spare tub so I would like to come up with better long term solution for it. That said, I have looked at a lot of IM bike galleries (pro & AG) and have seen much worse.

edit: from the front of the seat

Last edited by: StuckJB: May 15, 14 3:36
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TTworldchamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Managed to build up my Shiv TT with internal Di2. A bit of frame drilling to make it happen but all hidden nicely.

Quick question - does anyone have a part number for the Shiv TT stem? Top half only preferably. Need a spare.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All,

Went on a first ride of a 2014 Shiv Module (UCI) with Zipp 808 wheels. The SwissStop carbon pads are installed and this thing simply cannot stop very well. For comparison purposes - the wheelset came off a Transition that stopped just fine. The Transition had/has Zipp Carbon Pads. That seems to be the biggest difference.

Anyone else have this problem ?

Bill
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wrmattil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you're saying that the carbon pads designed by Zipp to work with Zipp wheels work better than pads made by someone else? :)

Yes, the Yellow SwissStop pads aren't always the greatest. SwissStop Black Prince work well, as (apparently) do the ZIpp pads.

@FormerTTchamp on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [TTworldchamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TTworldchamp wrote:
So you're saying that the carbon pads designed by Zipp to work with Zipp wheels work better than pads made by someone else? :)

Not exactly. The Zipp pads in the Transition are fine. The black SwissStop Carbon Pads in the Shiv are not all that great. It's difficult to compare these directly and I get that. While I certainly would not hold hope for the braking on the Shiv to match a traditional road bike I'd expect the Shiv to at least be closer to the Transition. Thus my question.

Cable routing is different. Black SwissStop Carbon pads are *new* and perhaps things will improve as they seat ? I suspect that the reason for the less than optimum braking is a feeling of spongeyness and even with my old decrepit arthritic hands I can bottom out both levers on the Shiv. On the Transition I cannot. So I'm guessing cables or cable run, or perhaps just brakepads not matched well to the Shiv.

I will take the Zipp pads from the Transition and mount them on the Shiv. That much seems to be a reasonable course of action

Bill
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wrmattil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How does everyone transport their Shiv? Particularly long distances to races?

I have a Yakima swing daddy bike rack (hangs from the top tube). I have an SUV and a van so I often put the bike inside, but this summer we will be travelling to several races so the bike will have to go on the rack (my wife insists that the kids get a spot inside before the bike...but I'm still fighting this one).

I have the Swingdaddy because it allows for the tailgate to completely open to access luggage and lots of gear (I have a large family so we are in-and-out of the back frequently on road trips). For me, I really shy away from a roof-mount system because I'm the guy who absolutely will crush my Shiv be driving it into my garage, parking garage, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it necessary for me to be prepping my wife for a new bike rack purchase for this summer or am I ok to use my bargaining toward some other tri-related purchase. I know many are afraid of using a top tube hanging rack on carbon frames.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dprocket wrote:
How does everyone transport their Shiv? Particularly long distances to races?

I have a Yakima swing daddy bike rack (hangs from the top tube). I have an SUV and a van so I often put the bike inside, but this summer we will be travelling to several races so the bike will have to go on the rack (my wife insists that the kids get a spot inside before the bike...but I'm still fighting this one).

I have the Swingdaddy because it allows for the tailgate to completely open to access luggage and lots of gear (I have a large family so we are in-and-out of the back frequently on road trips). For me, I really shy away from a roof-mount system because I'm the guy who absolutely will crush my Shiv be driving it into my garage, parking garage, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is, is it necessary for me to be prepping my wife for a new bike rack purchase for this summer or am I ok to use my bargaining toward some other tri-related purchase. I know many are afraid of using a top tube hanging rack on carbon frames.

I use mine on a regular rack like that when I have too. Having said that - with the shape of the Shiv, it wont even fit on my normal rack (I believe I have a M frame). I ended up using half the rack and then bungee cording the other side to the rack. it was sketchy as hell...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Thule T2 hitch rack. It holds the bike by the wheels. Sturdy (but heavy) as hell. It is made for two bikes but you can get a +2 addition to carry 4 bikes. I'm guessing it would be pretty awkward sticking out that far with four trays off the back. It tilts down to allow access to rear hatch area - again it's a little awkward tilting it with two trays so four would be terrible. I've also got a roof rack since I sometimes carry 3-4 bikes (kids). I lean towards the hitch rack to avoid the potential of driving into the garage with my Shiv on the roof.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jkintn wrote:
I have a Thule T2 hitch rack. It holds the bike by the wheels. Sturdy (but heavy) as hell. It is made for two bikes but you can get a +2 addition to carry 4 bikes. I'm guessing it would be pretty awkward sticking out that far with four trays off the back. It tilts down to allow access to rear hatch area - again it's a little awkward tilting it with two trays so four would be terrible. I've also got a roof rack since I sometimes carry 3-4 bikes (kids). I lean towards the hitch rack to avoid the potential of driving into the garage with my Shiv on the roof.

What sort of vehicle is this mounted on? I think the tilt would work with my SUV (just getting in the hatch) but not the van where the entire door opens. Plus, not sure my wife would be able to handle the tilt as I assume it's fairly heavy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is on a Ford Explorer. Entire rear door opens up.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. My SUV is a mountaineer, so that gives me a good idea. I'll look into it a bit more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next