Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to read a swim workout?
Quote | Reply
I can swim, I can't read swim workouts for crap. Help me!

A sample workout:

WU
1 x 300m. @ 40 sec
3 x 200m @ 30 sec
1x300m @ 30 sec
CD

What does @ 40 sec or @ 30 sec mean? I read this as rest for 40 seconds/30 seconds after finishing the set?

Go ahead, I can take the teasing…..I am sooooo not a "swimmer" :)
Quote Reply
Re: How to read a swim workout? [melowee1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40 sec rest after your 300m, then 30sec between each 200m NOT after --all 3 200s. If you want to add a bit more to your session, and have enough endurance to maintain good form, you could drop the 30 to 20s or even 15. For example, my main set today was 8x 150m with 15 sec between each 150, then 30sec rest, then a broken (pyramid) 400m. But with 30s rest, you should crank those 200s at a decent effort level (read:don't dog it).

Have fun!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How to read a swim workout? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THANK YOU!
Quote Reply
Re: How to read a swim workout? [melowee1977] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, if you're getting this from a hired coach, ask him/her to define the symbols and abbreviations used in future sessions. Obviously, if the set is coming from a book or internet program that point is moot.
Have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: How to read a swim workout? [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I'm used to seeing "R:" for the rest interval, when I see "@" I typically see it as a turnover (i.e.: total of work + rest time for the interval, example 200m @ 4:00, meaning you swim 200m, then you start your 2nd 200m exactly 4min after you started the first).

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply