Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Cinco de Mayo
Quote | Reply
Hope everyone is okay.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cinco de Mayo [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a great, but slightly stressful week. Met all training goals and had a blast at a 10 mile running race yesterday. My students are currently taking their AP Chemistry exam and I am on pins and needles for them - the curriculum and exam from the college board were totally revamped for this year - so I felt like I was always guessing this year about what to cover and how much depth to get into with some topics. Won't know how they did until July.

On the race - Bucks County 10 miler- a local, low key race put on by the local running club. Dense me did not realize that the race slogan - "May the Fourth be with you" meant star wars theme with a lisp! Lots of fun costumes including some totally decked Princess Leia gals who could really carry off the costume - my husband's tongue was dragging on the ground. The race is about 30 miles north of Philly where they were concurrently running the Broad Street run - the largest 10 miler in the country and very hard to actually get into. So this race totally spoofed on the Philly race - limited to 400 people as opposed to 40,000 people. The course is along the Delaware river but on the tow path with lots of mud from the recent monsoons we have had here on the east coast. And the best signs ever for mile markers - all spoofing sights along the broad street run or star wars themed - we had r2d2 for mile 2. For a small race, somebody put alot of love into this race and it showed!

My goal was sub 9:30pace. I was feeling good and kept the first half well under control - but was running faster than I realized. Hit the turnaround and still feeling good. With 3 miles to go, I was still feeling pretty good and realized might be able to go under 90minutes and picked it up abit. Was Very Happy that the legs were responding and was running sub 9min miles for last 3 miles. Was not quite good enough to go sub 90min but soo close with 1:30:40!! I know that is slow time for most folks here but am very happy with result anyway bc last year at this time, I could barely run a 5k at that pace - so this means run training is on track for my first half ironman in September!

This week, I will celebrate being here for half a century. Training goals:
5 runs
4-5 swims
4-5 bikes
Pace may depend on how long it takes my legs to recover bc I am SORE and STIFF this morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished up my week du shiner with two great runs, a few rides (short tho) and a SWIM. My doc has been working with me on a lasting cough so she's given me this nasal spray (not a decongestant tho) to try and kill this nasty post nasal drip. The drip has been basically leaking down into my lungs overnight, so every morning I have to cough up a lung or two. Since I started using this before bed, I breathe better, I sleep better, and I exercise better. Have an X-ray this week to eliminate anything other than low-grade infection or nasal polyps - both of which can cause this p-n drip situation.

I have decided that I will train as if I'm registered for Leadman, but won't pull the trigger until July. So this week:
- run 5x
- ride 4x
- my first yoga class!
- swim 1x
- Sherpa for P who is mtb racing on Sat

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After the Hephalump incident, it was a good week! 1 mini-swim, 2 runs, 1 strength training session, and for the first time in MONTHS I got out on my bike. We live at the top of a killer hill, so I drove my bike to what I thought was a pretty flat area. 4 miles out with a tailwind had me flying at 28+ mph... and crawling back in agony, uphill, against the wind.

Major victory in figuring out the outfit for my pool tri, and yes, now I have multiple pairs of goggles in my bag. I'm really sad, though, because TYR no longer makes my custom goggles and the new style doesn't have pink as an optional color (99% of my kit being black and pink). Grumble.

So with my race in under two weeks, my goals for this week are to get in 2 rides over 10 miles (likely on the trainer) and 2 5k runs. Being ladytimes week, I may or may not swim, but added goal of not over-indulging in crap foods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cinco de Mayo [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race. Congrats. You smashed your goal.

Happy Birthday. My big five oh is coming up soon too. I'm trying to think of something special to do, but haven't figured anything out yet. Do you having any plans?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow themadcyclist, that's huge improvement! Big congrats! Love the theme race and spoofing the "big guys", too.

Last week's goals:
Run x 2: WIN with 3
Swim x 4: FAIL with 2
Bike x 2: WIN with 2
Core/strength x 2: WIN with 2
Foam roll/stretch x 2: WIN with 2
Walk x 3: WIN with 6

Ok, so maybe Saturday's ride was less of a win.

I was in a really grouchy headspace, left for a ride in threatening rain (it had been raining on & off all day), and got all of 5mins in before I crashed hard on a wet wood platform that serves as a trail intersection. I whinged about for 10mins or so, messaging with the husband (who immediately offered a ride after seeing pics of my bloodiness), but decided to continue on anyway. Rode through the woods on the trail, and actually persuaded myself to do a little bit of off-piste in the pine forest; was a little petrified bumping over the rocks & roots while avoiding trees, but made it through fine and had a bit of fun. I must have looked hilarious riding over the other wooden bridges at just over walking pace, up out of the saddle like I was on gnarly singletrack! Other end of the trail is close to our favourite bike shop so I popped in to say hi and get out of the rain a bit. Tried to wipe up some of the blood but it had congealed by then, so I turned around and rode home (husband offered another pickup at bike shop - he's pretty awesome). It was rainy and muddy the whole way back so I was extra cautious, but I actually had fun; rode about another hour total after the crash. I got home, washed up my muddy bike, got a run in, then patched myself up. There goes swimming for a few days anyway. I did manage to get back out for a road ride on my CX bike Sunday with Tanker, then ran after but the damaged knee was a bit grumpy (cycling was pain free). I have a sprint tri on the 24th but may have to ride my CX bike if it's still too painful to use aerobars - there's some pretty nasty bruising under the scrape on my elbow, and the wound in my knee is really stinkin' deep.

Oh, and the rest of Sunday's "recovery day" was spent planting bulbs (dahlias & onions - not together) & a blueberry bush, shopping for & buying a new chainsaw, installing 2 new smoke detectors & a carbon monoxide detector, tearing out and replacing our range hood, and re-wiring a faulty outlet in the kitchen. I really know how to laze around.

This week's goals:
Bike x 6
Run x 6
Core/strength x 4

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
OWIE! Good for you for getting back up and on it after the crash - I tend to wimp out at that point. Love the VK gear, too - my husband got me the white jersey for my bday last year when their team was at a charity event I rode.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Decent week. Few days off to recover from the marathon. Then got in the pool. 3k yds swam, so that was good. Then three bike rides.
Very full weekend. Wedding reception Fri. night, danced my butt off - that felt great!
Short bike on Sat. - few intervals. Hit up the local running store's winter clearance sale. Cinco de Mayo party.
Sunday afternoon was very windy but we went biking anyway. Into the wind first.
This week - goal of 3 swims and 4 bikes. WOO.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cinco de Mayo [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOU ARE TOUGH AS NAILS GIRL!!!!! I would have wimped at the rain & wet trails, much less the blood after the crash!

I love the pics and I love the VK kit - I have shorts & a jersey in black & pink and they are super comfy and the kitty on the kit is just bad ass - it suits you!

Happy Cinco de Mayo all!!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cinco de Mayo [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nad wrote:
Awesome race. Congrats. You smashed your goal.

Happy Birthday. My big five oh is coming up soon too. I'm trying to think of something special to do, but haven't figured anything out yet. Do you having any plans?

Thanks!! I was pretty excited - especially since the five oh is tomorrow.

As far as plans - I plan to ask my masters swim coach if we can do some kind of 50-fifties workout first thing in the morning. But plans - just going out to dinner with hubby. I am not into big celebrations. What I did decide to do this year for myself is to take the jump from sprints to try long course racing. I plan to do a half ironman in September (celebrate half a century by doing half an ironman - nuts eh?). Training has kept me distracted from the whole birthday/age thing and, other than a good tired from training, I feel pretty good! I just keep telling myself to enjoy the journey and I am!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys - still licking my wounds a bit today!

I was lucky enough to be selected as a 2014 Vanderkitten VIP - it's pretty awesome to be a part of a group of women who go out every day and kick ass, just like our incredible ST womens!

And yes, the kits (with the badass Ophelia on them) are awesome: I have a ton of the 2014 VIP issue gear as well as some 2013 stuff, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats on your race!

Agilecipher, I think UT is either UP or DOWN...

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a tough week last week. On Monday night, my mom told me my grandmother wasn't doing well, but we didn't know if it were a matter of hours or days. (She was 94 and had alzheimers and I knew that this would happen at some point while I was in Oregon, I just didn't know when). Cried quite a bit. Didn't sleep well that night. Kept my phone on me while I ran Tuesday a.m. and the not knowing was horrible. It was stressful and anxiety provoking and sad and a feeling I cannot really describe. I was also worried my parents wouldn't LET me come home - I was worried they'd say "you can't miss school" or something. And I knew that when this happened, I wanted to be home. I got in the pool because I figured it would give my head a break... can't hear the phone in the pool. It was a good break, I had this great swim with some fast splits, and as soon as I took my goggles off I started crying. I think something in me knew. I showered, checked the phone... message from mom to call when I could... I found a sunny patch of grass, called her, and she said that my grandmother had died that morning. My mom was pretty composed; I sobbed. She said I could fly home if I wanted but if I needed to be at school (awfully hard to miss a week of class) she understood and so would my grandmother. I cried rather adamantly that I wanted to come home. She said okay, the funeral arrangements will be made this afternoon and then we'll figure it out.
So this was 9 am PST Tuesday morning. I didn't get any work done... the numbers slid all over the page. Finally when we had funeral plans and plane tickets purchased, I felt a little better. Still slept terribly Tuesday night. On Wed. my brother booked his flights, and I finally felt somewhat settled again. I flew out Thursday night after my class... went to sleep in Seattle and woke up in Boston.

I'll post my training from last week if I get a chance; I've been really busy with family stuff and trying to stay caught up in school. Exercise = whatever I can get in this week. I've been getting up early and going to the gym; swims are very unlikely and that's ok; I hope to have enough time to take my "Maine bike" (a Trek Lexa) out. Visiting hours are tomorrow, the funeral is Wed. (I am doing one of the readings, which is very important to me). My mom's bday is Thursday. I am happy that my whole family will be home for her birthday - though I am home under not the best circumstances, I am happy to be home. I fly back Saturday.

Could really do without the psycho person (who is technically an "aunt" but I refuse to call her that; I have disowned her; as has my mom and most of her other 7 siblings) who has caused my mom so much hurt over the years
Could do without the family politics related to that person
But will be kind (treat others as you would like to be treated... )

I've really just been trying to help my mom out. But it's hard. It's so hard. She started crying last night and there was nothing I could say; all I could do is hug her.

Littlest brother's illness (cluster headaches) gets worse in times of stress so he has had headaches almost every day, poor kid.

I am coping - I really am - I am coping healthfully (running! thank goodness for early morning gym time) - but I am in for two exhausting days the next two days, so some (((hugs))) would be really appreciated.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh honey, I am so sorry. Sending many, many, many Internet hugs your way. I can not imagine how hard this must be for you. You definitely need to be with your family right now and you are an amazing daughter to be there for your mom.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs! We love you kiddo!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for you and am sending lots and lots of hugs. I also sympathize with the "aunt" situation - my aunt and I do not speak and I really believe she kept my grandmother alive longer than she wanted for her own selfish reasons. I couldn't go to the service this last week anyways, but didn't want to deal with Aunt either. Hang in there kiddo. Take the time to let yourself be sad and remember her. AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry, TC. :-( Hugs to you.

Unfortunately, I had a similar week.

Ended up allergic to betadine, the iodine stuff they leave on you after the surgery. So I had to get my cast removed and changed out for a boot so I could nurse the raging contact dermatitis I had going on under the cast. The cast was way more comfortable. I never thought I'd say that.

I ended up getting horribly sick on Thursday. After almost a full day of not being able to keep water down, I ended up in the ER. Two bags of fluids, etc. We're still not entirely sure what caused it.

Yesterday, my grandfather passed away. I was asleep when their neighbor across the street called me and told us to call their house immediately, so I was slow to get to the phone and had to hand my mom the message that my grandfather had a heart attack. My mom, who was taking care of me after my surgery, had to leave immediately. I played travel agent while she called all the relatives, and booked plane tickets for her to head home and pack, and then for her and my father to head to my grandparents house.

Unfortunately, I'm not even remotely up to traveling yet and I'm having a hard time with missing his memorial service. I loved my grandfather. Maybe this is unfair, but he was my favorite grandparent. I know he would have understood why I can't be there. I am also incredibly bummed that he and my husband never got to meet, since they had just about everything in common. I think they would've adored each other. Now that will never happen and I am so, so sad.
Last edited by: katcycles: May 5, 14 19:07
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Cinco de Mayo [katcycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry for your loss, and that you cannot attend the service. Hugs to you too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I still miss mine, and it's been more than a few years. Hugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your grandfather.
And a rough week! Trip to the ER. Oh man. Hugs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry. I am glad you are able to be home w/ your family and especially your mother. That's very important. I'm sending you tons of hugs and warm thoughts and prayers for your grandmother. Take care of yourself and your mom.

I've really just been trying to help my mom out. But it's hard. It's so hard. She started crying last night and there was nothing I could say; all I could do is hug her.

speaking as a mom - you being there is already helping her, please don't underestimate how important your hugs are to her right now.
Good luck. We love you. You're strong.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so sorry for you loss. That's terrible. I didn't get to go to my grandmother's funeral because I was 9 months pregnant (and airlines won't let you fly), so I was the only one who missed it. It still is heavy in my heart. I'm sad for you that you can't be there.
I am sending you hugs and best wishes for both your mental and your physical health. It sounds like a really hard time. But remember, it will get better. Just take care.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(((((((((((MEGAHUGS))))))))))))

I am so sorry for your loss, and the compounded stress of family politics.

Remember to let yourself grieve as you need - it's allowed to hurt.

My love and sympathy to you and your family,

Chelsea

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too much heartbreak this week ((((((HUGS))))))

It's not unfair to acknowledge opportunities lost or missed. I can't imagine going from ER to dealing with the loss of a beloved family member. Take care of yourself, physically and emotionally, and take the time you need.

With sympathy and love,

Chelsea

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
[(((((((((((MEGAHUGS))))))))))))/quote]
+1, and a round of hugs for everyone needing them

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I celebrated Cinqo do Mayo a little too hard.

kelly dunleavy o'mara
@kellydomara
Quote Reply

Prev Next