Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? April 28
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 5 incl Waterloo Marathon on Sunday: WIN
Swim x 1: WIN with 2
Bike x 1: WIN though it was just a quick pedal around the neighbourhood on my mtb
Core/strength x 2: WIN
Foam roll/stretch x 2: WIN

I managed to get over the cold I caught a couple of weeks ago, but was still fatiguing really easily. 4 weeks between a hard 30k road race and a road marathon was a bit ambitious to begin with, and the illness just made things worse. I didn't get enough rest, probably ran more (and harder) than I should have in the few days beforehand, and spent way too much time on my feet Saturday - woke up Sunday and my legs felt tired just getting out of bed. Effort level during the race was totally out of line with my pace; working too damn hard and moving too bloody slow. Excuses aside, it was still a 20min PR and my slowest 10k (30-40k) was only 02:34 off of my fastest 10k (10-20k), despite the last 10km being a killing field of rolling hills. I'll live with it, though even on that tough course I know I could do better on the same training...just didn't have it in me yesterday.

This week's goals:
Run x 2
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 2
Foam roll/stretch x 2
Walk x 3

I'm going to let myself take a couple of days off running to properly recover - we're going out to dinner tonight with my Mum for my husband's birthday (which was yesterday; that amazing man of mine got up at 6am to sherpa for me on his birthday!), and we'll probably go for a short walk when we get home. My legs are TRASHED from the relentless rolling hills.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Apr 28, 14 11:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whew.
The week last week went fine.

The marathon was on Saturday. Things didn't go according to plan or goals. Here's what happened.
Picked up packet Fri. night. Got into hotel and ate pre-made dinner and laid everything out for race day, relaxed. Slept about as well as could be expected.
Race morning: hotel 2 blocks from start. Walked to start.
Got in my wave corral, found intended pacer. Seemed like a good deal - Traci. My friend Heather was pacing the 4:10 group, the last thing she said to me on race morning was "don't let me see you out on the course".
Start temp.: 50F, no wind.
We took off. It felt great. It felt like I was jogging. Good. Good, I thought.
Pacer kept telling us we were only slightly under. I felt great. I had my garmin, but it was soon clicking off the miles ahead of the mile markers (as in earlier than), but pacer Traci said she was going by her pace band and the timing and the mile markers, so I kept going. Feeling super.
Pacer Traci commented on the warm weather. Though I didn't feel to warm, I decided to hedge my bets and started to dump a cup and drink a cup. I took water at every water stop.
I ate my gels on schedule as practiced in training. I took my endurolytes.
Got to the half way point. Still feeling decent. Garmin lost satellites.
Around mile 15 it seemed to be getting a tad harder. Mile 16 saw the pace group slowly pulling away from me. There was nothing I could do. I kept running. I knew I was going slower, but no idea how much so because Garmin was all over the place (310XT) - which was odd. No Clouds, no tall buildings, surrounding area was corn fields. Around mile 20 the next pace group hadn't caught up to me. I kept trying to keep a decent pace. Somewhere after 21 they caught me. I decided to try to stay with them. I did, for about a mile or so... maybe? Or maybe 1/2 a mile? Brain not doing so well at this point.
Eventually that pace group drew away from me. At mile 22 I began the 'death shuffle'. I was dying a thousand deaths. I was wishing I was dead. I was regretting signing up for this. I was thinking all kinds of really bad thoughts. At mile 25, I almost fell. I stepped on a crack in the pavement and my left foot rolled to the outside and I almost went down. I yelled out. Spectators asked if I was OK. I didn't respond and kept going.
It took me 15 minutes to go the final 1.2miles.
You finish on the football field. There's a slight ramp to go down to the field. I yelled out with each step.
I got across the finish line. Saw Heather. Asked "Why are you here?" She had a runner pass out and had to get the runner to medical help. By that time she was 4 minutes behind her pace group and had no chance to catch back up and finish the pace job.
I missed my goal time by roughly 12 minutes and change.
Husband informed me it was 70F by when I reached half way. Heather saw the splits and declared my pacer was going too fast. Pacer finished about 2 mins ahead of goal - she was convinced that the too fast pacer and the warm weather did me in.
I had tons of visible salt on my arms for the first time in my life.
It was 80F there at noon.
Original predictions was for 67F at noon.
Back at the hotel we ran into another pacer who DNF-ed, and heard about another pacer who was getting serious dizzy spells at mile 20.
No clouds, very little shade on this marathon.

In the end, I can't complain too much. In my second stand alone marathon I bettered my time by 1h43. In extraordinarily difficult conditions I only missed my time goal by 12 minutes and change.
I didn't have any knee pain - thanks to changing from heel striker to mid foot - that and anemia are what derailed me in the past (IM and marathons, half, etc.).

This week - recover, do a few house chores.... swim and bike.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your finish and your PR!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your finish!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week
buy bike shoes. Really. still did not do this
Swim 20k no, with one swim 6k yes (priority is the long swim workout over the 20k total)
keep mileage under 45 for the week! yes by one!!! ha! and run fast on Saturday yes but see below (I'm going to define "fast" here as faster than I did on this course last year, will have to dig up the actual time).

This is a super busy week for me at school... maths test Friday went well , advisor needs things from me, bleh got stuff done.

Eating was so-so. Had one bad day (Thursday... thus the lots of miles Friday when the intent had been a short run to get ready to race), which is the first in awhile (aside from some small issues). Still feeling ok overall about it.

M - 9.5 mi run + 2600 yd swim
T - 4.5 mi run + 4100 yd swim
W - 8.5 mi run* + 2000 yd swim
T - 3.5 mi run + 6000 yd swim
F - 9.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim + 6 mi bike commute
S - race, 7.5 mi total + 6 mi bike commute
S - off

*2 x 10 min @ 6:40 pace, 3 min easy recovery between them

Totals 15,700 yd swim + 12 mi bike + 44 mi run

The race was a small campus thing but was very poorly organized from the getgo, and then they had to change the course due to a gas leak. I ran 26:45 fast, but have no idea how far it was (I am guessing about 4 miles) nor placing, as they sent different people in different directions so about half of us ran 4 miles and the other half ran 3 ish, but finished in the same time. It was a mess... supposed to be a 5k and a 10k. Anyway, I was disappointed but am over it.

I am ok with not hitting the 20k swim because I took a day off. Days off are harder than going to the pool :-) and my body needed some rest.
I did sign up for the Portland Bridges swim, which is 11 miles... and 11 bridges.

Goals this week
buy bike shoes
swim 20k with a long swim of 7000 yds (4500 done this morning)
keep running mileage at or under 50

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High five for toughing it out and your huge PR! I totally sympathize with missing your time goal (I was two and a half minutes slower than my own, which was clearly much more modest than yours), the warm sun and lack of shade, and struggling to stay on pace. It was only my 2nd road marathon as well, so maybe 3rd time is the charm?

Recover well and chin up!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Congrats to all the womens that got out there and raced this past week!

I had a pretty good week this week. Not as pain free as last week--up at 2:30 am this am with hip pain--but other than that not bad. 17 miles of walking and 2 hours of light cycling (3x 40).

Goal this week is to add 10 minutes to each bike so total of 2.5 hours biking, and maintain around 17 miles walk. Then if all goes well this week too, next week I'll add some swims in!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got to spend 3 days with Kristi!!!!!!!

Friday we swam.
Saturday I did a 5K (pathetic - mostly walking). Then we rode.
Sunday bike ride.

An awesome weekend!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Great job to you on your marathon. Those silly things are tough, aren't they!?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It sounds like we have a lot of marathoners here this week. Congrats to both determination and mistressk for running excellent marathons. Well done.

I ran Boston a week ago Monday. It was a tad warm too. I ran first 15 w/ a friend, who started to fade, so I was then able to pick up the pace a bit, and I had a 3-4 minute negative split second half. It was by no means a PR as you two had, but just a really good day.
And more importantly, it was the first marathon in a long while where I didn't hate life at the end. Just a good day. The crowds were amazing. So much better trip overall than last year.

Well done to all the womens.

happy training everyone.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on managing to enjoy a marathon, nad!

Thanks to all the womens for your kind words.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I volunteered at 2 races (a 5/10k on Sat and the Kemah sprint/olympic tri Sun) that I raced last year - I've always volunteered a lot, but boy, I miss being out on the course! I'm starting to be more ok with the thought of doing some shorter races, although I'm not ready to give up on returning to longer events eventually. I had to pace myself for volunteering as much as I used to for races, but I did pretty well.

Swims: 4 times including a session with my coach. Lots of drills, including swimming in slow motion - it really makes me focus on my balance/form, it doesn't increase my headaches/dizziness too much, and it's interesting. I also went and watched a session where he worked with another swimmer, which is always fascinating.

Walk/jog: 2 times - hoped for 4-5 but was working too much and too tired when I got home.

Weights/stretching/floor exercises: weights 1 time, goal was 2 but I threw in an extra swim instead. I did a lot of stretching but wasn't great about going through my PT routine.

PT: Cut back to 1x/week after 10+ months!! My PT thinks I'll be ready to go on my own in 6-8 weeks - I won't be 100% but should be able to continue on my own, although she's going to refer me back to the orthopedic PT to see if we can do anything about my shoulder/neck issues or if it's just a matter of time/patience/continuing my exercises. I'm having trouble with headaches from the sun now that we're finally getting decent weather, and the heat is definitely more of an issue, which is a problem in Houston. I'm hoping I'll acclimate, or I may be running on treadmills more often - as much as I hate the treadmill, I'll take it if that's what works!

Bike: 1 time. A dog that has been chasing me sporadically for at least 6-7 years came out to get me and ran right in front of a car. I'm so angry with the owners - I've talked to them several times every and I think I reported it to animal control once. The driver felt horrible, he stopped and was trying to check on the dog and make sure it was ok before he even looked at his car. The owner's son came out and got the driver's info, and he said the dog was dying. The driver's car bumper was broken and there was dog fur sticking to it. It made me sick and also makes me more scared - sometimes I wonder if I'm not supposed to ride any more. I told the driver that if nothing else, he kept me from possibly being taken down by the dog, and I think that made him feel a little better.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
PT: Cut back to 1x/week after 10+ months!!

Congrats!!! That is such good news.

Also, major kudos for volunteering. When I am hurt I tend to shy away from the sport community as it is so painful to watch. You are so strong. I applaud you.

Sorry about the dog incident. :-(

hugs as always.
tc

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats to everyone who raced this week!

mdiane - wohoo that you are back out there!!!! But so sorry to hear about the dog incident. That is scary. I was attacked by a dog last fall while riding and I am terrified every time a dog is loose when I am riding.

Me - good week of training with first tri of the season now under my belt. Took 6 students to do a sprint with a pool swim on Sunday. They rocked! Our boys swept the 17-19 podium and our only girl won her age group! Somehow, I managed to win my age group despite no warmup and taking a grand total of 5min in transitions (was cold so I put on every article of clothing I could in T1). I could easily cut 2 1/2 minutes off my time if I just work on my transitions! Was tons of fun to get out there again and get some young'uns out having fun trying this great sport!

Now back to serious bike training to get ready for bike leg of relay team for challenge AC at the end of June. Am doing a 10mile running race at the end of the week - but just in place of long run.

This week:
4 swims
4 bikes
5 runs

Happy training to all the womens!!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am SO impressed by all the marathoners in this group - grats on the PR's and great races, despite harsh conditions!

Last week was my first travel week, and while I had good intentions... well, yeah.

I ran once. There were a million kids in the pool, so that was a bust, but the fitness room is fine for the future. Unfortunately, the hotel prices doubled during the time for my next trip because of the Tour de California coming through San Jose, so I'm in a hotel up in Newark (ew. Just... ew).

Oh, then I couldn't find my ant stick so I couldn't even upload data to motivate myself :(

*grumble*

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ugh last week started great then took a serious downturn and sucked - I was doing well, lots of running and riding, then Thursday eve, I slipped on a stair and smoked my left temple on the (metal) railing. Spent 2 days in bed with a concussion and have enjoyed coming to work with a shiner this week...

Anywhoo, lots of walking so far, have 2 (easy) runs planned, and one more ride, and yes a swim if the goggles don't bug me. I am very close to signing up for Leadman Bend (125 not 250) - it was the last tri I completed (Sept 2012) so it makes sense to go back to it... and to be honest it's one of the only ones that interest me anyways.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? April 28 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YIKES! That's scary! I hope your head is feeling better and you take it easy - head wounds are the worst.

*hugs*

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, feel better.
What day is Leadman Bend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sept 20th. Plenty of time.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
Ugh last week started great then took a serious downturn and sucked - I was doing well, lots of running and riding, then Thursday eve, I slipped on a stair and smoked my left temple on the (metal) railing. Spent 2 days in bed with a concussion and have enjoyed coming to work with a shiner this week...

Shit Andy, you're the shiner queen! Hope you heal up fast!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Confirms that I am in fact my own worst enemy. :-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply