Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neoprene Swim Cap
Quote | Reply
Any ladies with long hair use a neoprene swim cap for cold water swimming? I'm signed up for a race in SF Bay next month and water temps are predicted to be between 50-55 degrees so I definitely want to get a cap. Looking on Amazon, there are all different brands/sizes and I'm just not sure what works best especially given I have long (middle of my back) hair. Does anyone have experience with how they fit? Do I wear a regular cap underneath and then pull the neoprene one on top? I'm assuming I'll have to wear the colored race cap on top so the guards can see me? So possibly three caps? As you can tell I'm clueless, please help! Any suggestions are much appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Neoprene Swim Cap [crawls23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd try and order it from TriSports or something like that - seems like they'd be good with letting you try it on and send it back for a different size if needed.

BlueSeventy might have measurements on their website.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With long hair, you might be happier with a regular latex or silicone swim cap underneath.
I have tried on a lot of those neoprene caps, and in my former work life, used to design them.
I notice Blue 70 has 3 sizes, you will probably be the medium. The chin strap bothers some people, so
you may want to get the cap ahead of time so you can get used to it, and don't forget to use some lubricant under that strap!
Definitely does help keep your head warm though.
Best,
Karen Sing

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have similar-length hair. For cold water, triple capping gives the best result. Latex, then neoprene, then required swim cap on top. Size may also depend on the size of your head. How big is your bike helmet?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ear plugs, like Doc's Pro Plugs, help a lot with cold water swimming too. Thick coat of vaseline on hands and feet. Calories just before the start will also help keep you warm. If you're not used to swimming in 50 degree water temps, you might want to consider setting up a conditioning schedule.

Much of how you will feel in the water that day will depend on air temps and wind, and how ell conditioned you are.

Is this just a swim race or a tri? How long is the swim?

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Apr 26, 14 6:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I swam today in the bay. Temp was high 50s. I have several-inches-past shoulders hair (bra-strap length?). I used 2 latex caps and earplugs (the first time; they gave them to us), Aquaphor on my feet, cheeks, and back of my hands. Many people had one neoprene plus the official latex, but I don't like mine so didn't use it -- DeSoto, fits fine, I don't like the chin strap. I did not see anyone with 3 caps, although I know Emilio recommends this "cap sandwich" approach if you tend to get cold.
I swim regularly in 60ish water and didn't think this was much worse. It has overall been a warm year in the bay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much everyone! I ordered a DeSoto cap in size medium, I'll try it out at swim practice this week once it gets delivered. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get much of a chance to practice in 50 degree water- I'm in Chicago and the lake is currently at 34. The swim in SF is only 1.5 miles - so hopefully it will go fast! Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some OWS folks do cold/ice bath immersion to condition to cold temps. Just sayin....

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The cap will help for sure as will neoprene socks. I have a pair from Pro Motion out of Hood River OR.

I second triple capping.

Have fun and good luck! Brrrrrrr.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I offer a suggestion of a P/U coated cap? These caps don't soak up water or choke you with the chin strap.

They do provide a very comfortable fit, and a lot of warmth.

The recommendation of a "Cap Sandwich" is a good one. Put the P/U cap or Neoprene cap on first. Goggles on next, and then event cap over that.

If no extra warm cap is available, doubling up with a silicone cap is a good idea, as it will hold the warmth of your head better than a latex cap.

Speed Plus Swim Cap

jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply