Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Strollers and back, hip, or knee injuries?
Quote | Reply
Hi to All-
I have a 22 month old and I recently developed pain in the backs of my knees. I have been running with the Bob SUV stroller since our little one was 10 weeks old; however, I began doing some hill work a few months ago and I've had this persistent pain in the popliteal area of BOTH knees for about three months. I've rested, done nothing but cycling, done nothing but swimming, I've done muscle imbalance/counterbalance exercises - all of which have helped none.

The pain is minor, but if affects the length of time that I can run and also my stride length. During runs (normal runs, without the stroller) of 90+ minutes, my hamstrings and calves begin to tighten so badly that I'm reduced to walking- toward the 90 minute mark it feels like my foot is swinging out and around my hip to reach the ground.

The PT told me that my psoas muscles were to blame and the Chiro said that my back muscles were pulling my hamstrings incongruently so that my patellas were not tracking properly.

I desperately am trying to salvage my season b/c this is my first summer to race in several years.

Any of you ladies had experience with an injury that was likely caused by using your running stroller?

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Strollers and back, hip, or knee injuries? [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will preference my comment by saying I have not run hard for any length of time while pushing a Bob. My daughters each have one and I do go with them and grandchildren for the occasionally run but it is always easy and only a maximum of about 8k. My comment is that I would think trying to do a reasonably intense workout while pushing the stroller is not a good thing. Maybe it's not possible but I would suggest you do your intense workouts sans stroller and do the stroller pushing on the easy days. I do find my gait changes considerably and couldn't imagine pushing it even easy for 90 minutes let alone while doing hills. Again, I have no qualifications, it's just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Strollers and back, hip, or knee injuries? [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would second cannondale... speedwork and BOB...may seem like a great resistance training idea, but it may do more harm than good. I run 8-10 miles with my LO (almost 21 months) in the BOB but at a moderate pace. I've done a 10k with him and a 5k, but those were hardly all out race efforts, and he was 3-4 months old, so.... I do notice that my stride is very different with the BOB and my arms don't swing naturally... they can't! At least one is on the stroller :) That said.. I LOVE my little running buddy and he charms the gals at the group runs on the weekends and the guys think he's a doll too :) he tells us to "go go go! ready, set goooooo!!!!" and "weeeee" and points to everything and talks to everyone :) Keep running with your LO but maybe save the speedwork and hill repeats for BOBless days if you can.

HAVE FUN and GOOD LUCK!

**extra fun though, your regular efforts without the BOB when it comes to racing will feel AMAAAAAZING :) Just a handful of longer runs with him have helped my off-the-bike run a lot in the last few weeks! BONUS!

Tiger for Life -- War Eagle!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a lady but had a similar issue when I started running with my daughter in her BOB- she was 10 months old. My problem was that I didn't adjust speed or mileage for this new weight and form. It just took some time to slow down, adjust the way that I ran with her and not race the hills, etc. Now when I run solo, I do my normal. When I run with her (although she's 4 now and weighs a lot more) I just do it a little slower and focus on form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to clarify, are you running hills with the Bob? If so, wow! I'll do moderate-paced or easy runs and an occasional interval session. I've never done "serious" speed work with it - my pace with it is too different. Also, I can tell that my gait and arm movements aren't the same. Sorry, I have no real advice to offer - other than to limit the time with the Bob. I understand that may mean missing some workouts - I have that same problem. It's MUCH easier for me to take my 20 month old in the Bob than to go without her.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Running Strollers and back, hip, or knee injuries? [roxiegirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have the option of doing hill repeats and leaving the stroller and kiddo at the bottom? you don't need to run very far or long up the hill to get big benefits. Even 15-30 seconds can really help develop your power and speed. In fact, I wouldn't go over 45 seconds for a high quality hill repeat session, as the point of hills is primarily to work a different system (physiologically and muscularly). With this type of workout you can take full recovery (2 min +) so that your quality stays high and it is not an "aerobic" workout but really a different purpose. So that way you can run up hard 30 " / down easy / hang out for a min or so, check in with kiddo and repeat. Would that work or would you have a meltdown? Anyways, this way you can get a workout in but not actually run the hard stuff with the stroller.
Quote Reply