Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [sgaytan76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good news. Thanks for sharing!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [jxj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear this fix worked (at least twice...) jxj, do you swim in salt water? use sunscreen a bunch? sweat profusely? How long do they last before the elevation gives up? Just wondering whether some environmental thing is causing the issue.

Quote | Reply
I swam both open water / pool but i could tell that when i was cleaning the holes with the pin, i could feel some sort of sand inside... maybe was the combination of both chlorine / salt / sand... I dont use suncreen. I started to have elevation issues about 6 months of training (mostly daily)

TriSliceRS wrote:
Glad to hear this fix worked (at least twice...) jxj, do you swim in salt water? use sunscreen a bunch? sweat profusely? How long do they last before the elevation gives up? Just wondering whether some environmental thing is causing the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [TriSliceRS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:

I don't swim in salt water but do swim in a poorly-sanitized pool. My masters group swims from 8:30-10PM, which is after all the swim teams, drop-ins, and aqua-classes.

I do sweat a lot, so that is probably a contributing factor.

The past 910XTs that I had lasted for about 2 months before the elevation goes into the death spiral. I do wash my watch after every use, but I did not know about the barometer vents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You fekin' beauty!

Make that three times. 20km is now back down to 556m, where it should be. Warm soapy water and a tooth brush did the trick.

Garmin had actually offered to replace mine with a refurb but I would rather keep hold of this one as it's been flawless apart from those holes getting blocked.

Thanks guys.

TriSliceRS wrote:

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worked for me too. Cleaned out the vents with soapy water and a push pin. Great fix - was really not looking forward to switching it out!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Undies2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Washed mine and it didn't work. Read the thread again and said screw it, i will try it again using liquid soap and a toothbrush. Didn't work. Then did it again and got a safety pin......the hole on the back of it had grit in it. The side one was fine. Elevation just dropped from 65,000 to 988 feet. SWEET! Of course my rides and runs aren't quite as impressive now.

I dont know what this means though....on the diagnostic screen. The first 5 lines on the screen related to the barometer are blank. Perhaps that will fill in over time...I just turned the watch on. I noticed the fix because I set elevation as one of the data fields.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSliceRS wrote:
earlier this year my original 910xt (watch #1) stopped recording elevation correctly (as stated above). I got a warranty return and got a replacement (watch #2), which unfortunately had a very sticky button and was promptly returned. Watch #3 worked great for a month then elevations stopped working again. I swim daily, bike and run frequently...

I emailed Garmin and was about to send it back, before I came up with the idea to WASH MY 910XT. I put it in a warm water soapy bowl, and using a clean/unused toothbrush brushed the two barometer vent holes. And... it worked (recorded elevation changes) again! I recommend cleaning, it might be sweat, chlorine, river scum, sunscreen.. but that will be my first approach next time this happens.

WOW, AMAZING, UNREAL!!!! I did the wash and scrub with my toothbrush, and holy-cow....the damn thing works again. Just as an FYI, here's what I did: soaked it in hot Dial Body Wash soapy water for about 10 minutes, then got out my SonicCare toothbrush and used it to clean out the two port holes on the underside. I brushed it while in and out of the soapy water bowl several times over, rinsed in clean hot water, then let it air dry overnight. About 3 hours ago, I powered up the unit, and it located, and began it's normal altitude countdown. It started way high in the 65k/f range and came down quickly. When it got down to around 1000 ft, it started the countdown all over again. I thought it was hopeless and wasted. But I patiently watched, and it kept counting down. It slowed way down around 70 feet, and I left to go eat dinner. When I returned from dinner, it had counted all the way down to EXACTLY what I know Houston, TX altitude to be 47 feet. Damn thing was spot on!!

Thank you for the fix.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why oh why didn't I see this? I did do a Slowtwitch search, but I only saw the earlier responses and did not see yours. Your solution probably would have fixed mine. I literally just sent it off two days ago after delaying since January on getting it fixed. Now I'm going to get a stinking refurbished unit. I would much prefer my pristine original Garmin.

Thank you for your solution. I will use it for my wonderful refurbished unit, yet to arrive, when it will have the same problem. I sweat excessively. And I paid $22 to ship it to Garmin as well! DOH!

Someone needs to tell mothership Garmin about this fix!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [sgaytan76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want HIGHLY accurate information about elevation, Sporttracks software offers a elevation correction plug-in that cross references your GPS track with 4 different government data bases (DOD, etc) for exact elevation at a given point. You can compare the data from your Garmin to a known accurate data set.

I use sporttracks anyway to track my workouts but this is the one of the best features of that software.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just getting ready to send mine back but now I'll give it a good washing. Are the two holes by the lower right screw as you look at the back of the watch?

Thx.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [grubba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem, crazy elevation readings. Garmin sent me a new one. Same happened to my friend, he believed sweat and gel and crap was blocking the ports of the barametric. He cleaned it out with something and works fine now.

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the 2 small holes in the corner. 1 is on the underside next to the screw, and the other is adjacent to it on the side of the case.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [CarbonManFrance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad I read the thread before writing all of this, nicely written.

I would note you may need to wait a while on the Garmin phone line, I had to wait 45 minutes. They were incredibly responsive, and they also have a plan where they'll send you a refurbished unit for $150 deposit while you send yours back (I didn't get mine returned). I got my new one in about 5 days.
Last edited by: Hussman: Oct 22, 13 13:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last question, I've never noticed my altitude correcting as the watch was just sitting. The thing I've done was do a saved location as the manual says that's how you can calibrate it but it seems if you just let it sit in one place it will calibrate the altitude sortof like how the it's gets more accurate with the satellite info?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [masterslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine started doing the same thing last week, starts at 65k feet and descends down to 537 then starts over.

Could barometric altimeter hole be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner? I got one to clean the gunk off my sunglasses in spots I couldn't get to. The 910xt is rated for 50m so it should be albe to take it. Seems that sticking a neddle or pin into the vent hole would damage it?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Thrash1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thrash1 wrote:
Mine started doing the same thing last week, starts at 65k feet and descends down to 537 then starts over.

Could barometric altimeter hole be cleaned with an ultrasonic cleaner? I got one to clean the gunk off my sunglasses in spots I couldn't get to. The 910xt is rated for 50m so it should be albe to take it. Seems that sticking a neddle or pin into the vent hole would damage it?

I just scrub it good with a dish brush and mine has been working for awhile now. It's not perfect but the elevation is close. I've had to clean it a couple of times but it seems to work every time.

Good Luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just tried this after being on hold for 20mins with Garmin. I tried everything they recommended earlier via email including a hard rest but nothing worked. Cleaned in warm soapy water and my elevation issues are gone! I think with the quick release mount stuff gets trapped in the covered hole and messes up elevation. thanks for the easy fix.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They charged me 200.00...
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I called Garmin about a month ago with no remedy to the problem. Even though it wasn't under warranty they had me send it back in and sent me a free refurbished unit. I paid a $200 deposit so they'd send the replacement before they got mine. The new watch has been great so far. No wacky elevation readings.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [davee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davee wrote:
I called Garmin about a month ago with no remedy to the problem. Even though it wasn't under warranty they had me send it back in and sent me a free refurbished unit. I paid a $200 deposit so they'd send the replacement before they got mine. The new watch has been great so far. No wacky elevation readings.

Well, you can't complain about that customer service! Looks like I'll have to send mine back in, my elevation failed as well. I've washed it out several times but no luck. This is my second time this has happened but the first time it was under warranty. Clearly there's some kind of hardware issue, keeping my fingers crossed that they treat me as well as you.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just fix the problem in 30sec! I putted water with high pressure on the holes of barometer with this device made for cleaning teeth: http://www.waterpik.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This worked for me, too. The elevation readings on my Garmin 910XT were completely messed. After reading various forums and threads I was really worried that the barometric sensor on my unit was faulty. Then I read a suggestion about simply washing the unit with warm, soapy water and using a toothbrush and pin to clean the grime (sweat, sunscreen, muck) from the barometric sensor holes. I washed it thoroughly and then blew out the holes with some compressed air. Then I did the diagnostic reading routine ("on" + "enter", then 7x clicks on "mode") and everything seems to be working. Now I get proper elevation readings. I also found this blog post that's worth a read...
http://www.alananna.co.uk/...in-forerunner-910xt/
Last edited by: stubberific: Apr 22, 14 17:33
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 910xt Elevation issue fixed [stubberific] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stubberific wrote:
This worked for me, too. The elevation readings on my Garmin 910XT were completely messed. After reading various forums and threads I was really worried that the barometric sensor on my unit was faulty. Then I read a suggestion about simply washing the unit with warm, soapy water and using a toothbrush and pin to clean the grime (sweat, sunscreen, muck) from the barometric sensor holes. I washed it thoroughly and then blew out the holes with some compressed air. Then I did the diagnostic reading routine ("on" + "enter", then 7x clicks on "mode") and everything seems to be working. Now I get proper elevation readings. I also found this blog post that's worth a read...
http://www.alananna.co.uk/...in-forerunner-910xt/

And then, my 910XT went completely wonky again. If you live in Canada you need to contact Raytech (1-888-887-6627), create an account online or call them directly. Details about what to do are here http://www.raytech.ca/...ked_questions.asp#58 I'm in the process of trying to get my 910XT repaired but Raytech has a backlog on replacement units of 3-5 weeks. Details to come.
Quote Reply

Prev Next