Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Colds mess me up big time. I've missed races because of the havoc they've wreaked on my bg.
Just curious, Do you normally take in a gel during your swims?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [shade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longer swims yeah coz i suck at them. Going in highish at 9.8 in a 1500 and having a gel midway and coming out 7.8 keeps me where i need to be. BUT i think i prob dont need to because i skyrocket once im on the bike. Im not sure if this is the bike itself (i have a feeling it prob is) or the gel still kicking in a bit. Its probably both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If your bg is high, will it not come down if you ride for 30 min w no carb intake?

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
training yep....racing not really, no. Eventually it prob would but not before i would need to ingest something again. Doesnt come down all that quick i have found.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect the distance of the race and the race effort plays a role as well.

I figure sprint and oly races can push bg high because its more anarobic...?

Longer races 70.3/140.6 will push bg low due to the steady effort?

I have found that my bg doesnt spike crazy high on Vo2max efforts but I know folks that will go into the 300s on a 5k

We are all different in how our bg responds to stuff, its just plain crazy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
Does anyone INCREASE their basal for events? Really struggling with highs during events, more so by the time i get on the bike and ride for up to an hour my bs is sky rocketing.

DEFINITELY increase my basal for events. Also need to take industrial doses of fast-acting insulin on the morning of the event and also on T1. And still most short course races I finish in the 200's. I remember taking 7 units (!!!) on T1 during Ironmans, haven't done one in a while, last one was Kona '07. The amount of insulin I take the morning of a race these days is more than I take during a whole day on a normal day. The good news is that the high BG levels doesnt really impair performance as you may think. I've seen non-diabetics into the 200's and most people are in the mid 100's, post race. Prof Tim Noakes says this is a sign of T2D, but thats another thread.

Anyone doing relatively high hours of training at decent intensity that tapers, will likely deal with it due to adrenalin releasing your liver's glycogen to your bloodstream.

I find racing very difficult and stressful and had to develop a smooth carb-load protocol, while training due to a low carb approach is easy. A1C's sitting in the mid 5's, lowest 5.3, T1D for 14 years.

Good luck

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
interesting and good to know! being on lantus injections, is it something you need to start, say 5 days out, or the night before should be fine? i just remember reading that when changing basals, one needs to do this over the course of several days to 'build up' the basal to notice change. I could be wrong though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
interesting and good to know! being on lantus injections, is it something you need to start, say 5 days out, or the night before should be fine? i just remember reading that when changing basals, one needs to do this over the course of several days to 'build up' the basal to notice change. I could be wrong though.

Correct, you may need to slowly add up 2-3 days before, I used to do that when racing for performance. But is a roller coaster and you have to be careful otherwise may put on weight easily.

These days I'm willing to trade performance for BG control so keep insulin dosage normal up to day before when I may need to add 10-20% or so to Basal then race morning same and add more fast-acting.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take 10units of Lantus once a day

I did a 140.6 less than 3 months being diagnosed and was advised to not take my Lantus the day before so I didnt. BG was fine, no real highs or lows.

For my races this year I will probably take it as I normally do. Hopefully my training will give me an idea

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you were prob still producing a fair bit of insulin only 3 months in, hence no need for basal. Awesome work doing an IM only 3 months post diagnosis.
I usually take 10 units myself, but since i had the cold, im sitting on 13 units and things are only now starting to come back to normal after 1.5weeks with the illness. It may stay at 13 units, im not sure. If it does, i will prob inject 15 units 3 days leading up to the race.

I find i race pretty flat with a larger taper too and that the taper itself can cause a bit of a nightmare with insulin. My plan for this 70.3 is to not taper so aggressively that it changes my insulin needs so dramatically.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, it was scary! I will post my race report on here

I agree regarding the taper. Diabetes seems to like routine so I try and be as routine as possible. Fortunately I am a ver y routine(boring) person. I can do and eat the same stuff over and over and over. So I average about 10 hours a week of workouts and that will go up for race training.

The big D still throws me curves though...its frustrating and confusing at times.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of bg, today is a bit of a head scratcher.

151 before breakfast, took 3u humalog. After breakfast was at 166. Before lunch just now was at 177!? Took 4 units of Humalog and sit at 191 after lunch.

These are about 30-50 higher than normal. Think my sickness is mostly over.

ugh

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha exactly I eat near the same shit day in and day out purely for ease of bolusing. Diabetes does like routine. So you don't taper much either?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After I posted I went for a 15 minute walk, tested and got 85!? Home from work at 5pm tested 123, 5:40 before run 98. 95 before dinner, 105 after

Weird day, I think it was nerves from work that contributed

I haven't really had a whole lot of experience so far. I was dx 8-14-13 and have done one full IM, one full marathon and a 50k ultra run. I suspect though that tapering could cause my bg to bounce around more.

Before I was dx I usually rested at least one day a week (usually monday) but since dx I do something everyday. There is no doubt that exercise controls bg levels. This is why I don't use a pump. Not saying I never would but the way my body reacts now I feel its not needed

I think my next big taper would still have some easy stuff every day. Besides I actually enjoy training for the most part

Is your race this weekend?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May 3rd. Since my last half I have crashed from diabetic complications on another half aswell as 2 olys. All from being too high. I plan to not taper as much and be more aggressive with insulin this time round
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going high during your training workouts?

Last edited by: runnerwv: Apr 16, 14 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope not at all. Adrenaline etc kills me. As soon as I get in that bike it shoots up like crazy, wether I have a gel in me or not. I must be an excitable lil fella : D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I can understand

Man that's wild. In training have you done a swim(ows) , then bike like race day? To see how it responds?

At the 70.3 I would try a couple of things out of the water into and out of t1. Walk and take your time. Keep your hr low. Then for first 15 minutes on bike pedal easy.

In some of my past races I have seen my highest hr of the day out of the water running into t1. That adrenaline might very well be pushing bg up. If you can control your hr and stay in "zen" state that might help?

Walking plus an easy 15 minute pedal will cost you a few minutes overall but it's better than a dnf

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:
Does anyone INCREASE their basal for events? Really struggling with highs during events, more so by the time i get on the bike and ride for up to an hour my bs is sky rocketing.

DEFINITELY increase my basal for events. Also need to take industrial doses of fast-acting insulin on the morning of the event and also on T1. And still most short course races I finish in the 200's. I remember taking 7 units (!!!) on T1 during Ironmans, haven't done one in a while, last one was Kona '07. The amount of insulin I take the morning of a race these days is more than I take during a whole day on a normal day. The good news is that the high BG levels doesnt really impair performance as you may think. I've seen non-diabetics into the 200's and most people are in the mid 100's, post race. Prof Tim Noakes says this is a sign of T2D, but thats another thread.

Anyone doing relatively high hours of training at decent intensity that tapers, will likely deal with it due to adrenalin releasing your liver's glycogen to your bloodstream.

I find racing very difficult and stressful and had to develop a smooth carb-load protocol, while training due to a low carb approach is easy. A1C's sitting in the mid 5's, lowest 5.3, T1D for 14 years.

Good luck

Ever since I've done triathlons, I've had issues with high blood sugars during races, and had reasonable results most of the time (always wish I could do better but yeah heh). When I get it right I feel so much better during the race (having the dry mouth whilst running hard is horrid), but don't think I am going faster at all, if that counts.

Anyway, I have been thinking about doing the high fat low carb thing you suggested but after my next race (ironman cairns). However, I have a bit of a sensitive stomach (irritable bowel syndrome) so was just wondering if your stomach got upset at all when you switched it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your prob right getting in to t1 to just take it easy ...it's gonna be a crapshoot to know how much to bolus in t1 coz I will still get high if I don't bolus...we will find out! Prob 2 units and just track the trends closely
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

Correct, you may need to slowly add up 2-3 days before, I used to do that when racing for performance. But is a roller coaster and you have to be careful otherwise may put on weight easily.

These days I'm willing to trade performance for BG control so keep insulin dosage normal up to day before when I may need to add 10-20% or so to Basal then race morning same and add more fast-acting.

Hey Vinnie, went and saw my daibetes educator this morning. She reccomended taking an additional 4 units of lantus about 2-3 hrs before the rrace. Interestingly she said Lantus doesnt need to 'build up' in the system and that one extra shot should help? I, like yourself, always thought basal took time to build up in the system somewhat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Hey Vinnie, went and saw my daibetes educator this morning. She reccomended taking an additional 4 units of lantus about 2-3 hrs before the rrace. Interestingly she said Lantus doesnt need to 'build up' in the system and that one extra shot should help? I, like yourself, always thought basal took time to build up in the system somewhat?

I'm not sure what information you provided to the educator, but this strategy wouldn't help at all the adrenalin spik I (we) get on race start and on T2, I also get another spike when running fast. Novorapid/Humalog is strong enough to hold the BG at decent levels. Lantus won't help IMO but give it a go and report back to her until you guys find a solution.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vinnie wrote:
coates_hbk wrote:

I'm not sure what information you provided to the educator, but this strategy wouldn't help at all the adrenalin spik I (we) get on race start and on T2, I also get another spike when running fast. Novorapid/Humalog is strong enough to hold the BG at decent levels. Lantus won't help IMO but give it a go and report back to her until you guys find a solution.

Oh i still expect to inject, but i guess the premise is trying to give a higher basal, i may be able to feed the basal rather than inject for everything. It wasnt a cure to the spike but may help minimise it a bit. T2 i will no doubt inject extra and monitor on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Higher Basal + Bolus Pre/During race = Better levels during the event

That said don't expect to hit it perfectly, just by having some more insulin on board you are way ahead of the game than before.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeh it can be a bit of a crapshoot I know... Sprint races are much easier to manage when you don't need nutrition. I can get over the highs during those!
Quote Reply

Prev Next