Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [justablur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any brake upgrades for 2012 shiv expert?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [thepeteh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice piece im still working on mine gonna add an all black carbon crank next. dont know if the image will show keep nda new to this

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/...53433707599469_o.jpg
Quote Reply
Rear brake keeps getting off center [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2013 shiv expert mid compact. Love the bike so far except for the rear brake. Other than being a huge pain to adjust, I have a major issue. My rear brake keeps getting off center and ends up rubbing the wheel on one side. Bring to the shop, adjust, do one ride, it's off center again. Anybody else with this problem? Why does this keep happening and how do I fix it? If there is no other solution, I am willing to replace with a different brake that does not have this problem.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [captainfranz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem until I got the Tririg brakes....life is great now regarding brakes. The only issue that I have with my Tririgs is when swapping rear wheels...I have a hard time reaching the crankside adjustment screw because the crank sits about 1.5 - 2 cm away from the adjustment screw. I got a long 2mm hex that was shaped like an L...and grinded the short part even shorter so that it would reach between the crank and into the 2mm adjustment screw. The stock brakes were garbage IMO.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have an experience cutting the headset spacers down? Apparently you can only get them in 25mm increments, but I am looking for 15-20mm of stack. I may just try to have a machine shop cut one down and see how it works out. Disappointed given how adjustable this bike is supposed to be. The answer Spec gave my LBS was to use standard spacers to supplement the 25mm aero spacer... not ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just made the switch, I was having the same issue. I've heard great things on the omega sv brake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, but this issue is due to the brake location, so you have that with the stock brake too. I also am switching wheels quite a bit and that was another of my concerns. But I don't think there is really any (simple?) way of fixing that.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using the Maguras on my 2012 Comp Rival and they make taking the wheels on and off simple
Last edited by: changums: Apr 21, 14 10:21
Quote Reply
Post deleted by fasth2o [ In reply to ]
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [changums] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
changums wrote:
Does anyone have an experience cutting the headset spacers down? Apparently you can only get them in 25mm increments, but I am looking for 15-20mm of stack. I may just try to have a machine shop cut one down and see how it works out. Disappointed given how adjustable this bike is supposed to be. The answer Spec gave my LBS was to use standard spacers to supplement the 25mm aero spacer... not ideal.

Are you trying to microadjust the basebar height? Most use 25mm spacers to raise or lower the basebar and then do microadjust to the aerobar extensions using the fit kit.

Otherwise, you can of course use traditional 1.125" spacers for stack height adjustments from 1mm to 25+mm.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently had a fit from a very reputable fitter, but who is not a Specialized dealer. He did not mention trying to adjust it that way, but said that I should try to find the aero spacers for 15-20mm of stack height. I am trying to get lower, so should I eliminate the 25mm spacer and use the base bar spacers to get the 15-20mm I need? Maybe flip my stem?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remove only 1 spacer and then flip the stem and/or the inside plug for smaller adjustments. Stem has 4 positions. Once you have the desired position, try it out with spacers on top. If you are happy with it, time to go for a steer tube cut.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reply to the post about rear brakes binding.

I had exactly the same thing happen and dismantled the rear brake to discover one side hade seized. Not a big job and I don't recall it needing any special tools.

Cleaned it all,up, regressed he springs and I was away.

Binding brakes in no reason to be changing to Tririg brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
changums wrote:
I recently had a fit from a very reputable fitter, but who is not a Specialized dealer. He did not mention trying to adjust it that way, but said that I should try to find the aero spacers for 15-20mm of stack height. I am trying to get lower, so should I eliminate the 25mm spacer and use the base bar spacers to get the 15-20mm I need? Maybe flip my stem?

You can do as you note here or if you have the Elite, Comp, or Expert model, you can flip your stem to gain a bunch of the stack. Any of these options work - the bike is uber adjustable - though your point on micro-D-shaped spacers is noted for sure!

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what I was going to try next. Really the LBS should do that but I'm starting to think they are not willing to do it.
The next question that I have is how can this possibly happen with a new bike that I rode outside only a handful of times. I am thinking LBS might not have assembled properly. I think they might hear quite a few complaints from me soon (and this is on top of purchasing a service contract from them).
Like I said, I am willing to switch the brakes but only as a last resort. I don't think specialized would have put such a bad brake on a high end bike.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The brakes are assembled and fitted at the factory, all they do is run the cables.

Has the bike ever been used in the wet -or washed down with a hose?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are correct however, i was continually having to unseize mine after every few rides, so then it became worth new brakes.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair call.

For the record I have the TriRigs and I do like them, although I ran out of adjustment with the grub screws and changed them to longer bolts.

Means I can adjust them with out tools which is a bonus
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COJO wrote:
You are correct however, i was continually having to unseize mine after every few rides, so then it became worth new brakes.

For those that have consistent problems with one of the brake arms, I recommend having the shop pull the torsion spring out, and grind down or cut off about 1-2mm of material from the end that sticks into the frame inserts. This effectively "shortens" the straight part of the spring sticking into the frames.

When the spring is spooled up, if the straight section bottoms out inside the frame/fork insert, then the spring can bind. Regreasing this helps for a bit but isn't a long term fix. Trimming the straight section of the spring almost always remedies the problem.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not at all. Barely used it outside, never got wet. Neither washed, nor rained on.

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear brake keeps getting off center [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I was hoping to hear, a permanent solution. I will ask the shop if they can do this and hopefully it will resolve the issue. Not looking forward to another upgrade for top $$$.

Thanks!

Less power, more aero.
Quote Reply
Batman's Bike [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went over to Bruce Wayne's house last week and stole his bike. Back at the LBS today to add shifting to the brake levers (I did the fabrication - they will pull the wire).

Quote Reply
Di2 cockpit cabeling [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am in the process of installing a Di2 on my Shiv. How do you manage to have a neat cabeling with the Junction 5 ports on the original sworks cockpit. Any pics will appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Di2 cockpit cabeling [vnet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not the S-Works Cockpit - Its the aluminum base bar with the 5 port junction box strapped underneath it.
Last edited by: Kellermanns: Apr 24, 14 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campled
Could you please explain in more detail how you have mounted the Trek Speed Box on you Shiv.
You mention that you have made a plastic component to enable the fit (it is difficult to see on your picture - it is so well done), how is that done - is it realistic for others than you to make this and if so, what precisely do I need to make the necessary components
Quote Reply

Prev Next