Prev Next
Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today
Quote | Reply
I wonder how many of you think he was just out jogging again:

Last edited by: wufpak: Apr 13, 14 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [wufpak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm excited to see him race in some real ITU stuff.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice picture of three terrific US Oly athletes: Alan Webb, Ben Kanute and Chad Hall (uh, pretty good running genes in his family - and his legs - too!). Very impressive outing by all three today; and, I particularly liked their clear love of the sport. Good things ahead!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like he was first out of the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Dude is LEGIT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess USAT is making him actually earn his pro card. thats bogus. let the dude jump into the pro field.
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [BeastTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they are paying your bills, you'll do whatever they tell you to do, right?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be fun to follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh its like that?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is training with the HPT staff in Arizona, so I'm going to assume their is some funding being provided. I certainly don't think they are billing him for his time there, that's for sure.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BeastTri wrote:
I guess USAT is making him actually earn his pro card. thats bogus. let the dude jump into the pro field.

Not sure how this is making him earn his pro card. Normally you actually have to race in races with a pro field to earn your card sans a few other other key opportunities.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
when pack riding is part of the sport, it is not crazy to make someone earn their way up, no matter how fast they are.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I agree there should be some sort of 'celebrity exemption' for pro cards because of people like this-It isn't like it should take him a ton of races to get credibility if he's in good shape and committed, given he has previous swimming experience and he's already proven to be world class in one discipline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
when pack riding is part of the sport, it is not crazy to make someone earn their way up, no matter how fast they are.

I couldn't agree more. Also, if he is that good he should be one and done anyway. All he has to do is go to a pro race of 20K or more, smash the amateur field and he is golden. Giving him the card is just doing him, USAT, and the USA a disservice. Based on his bike split compared to some known benchmarks in that local sprint race I would say he has a lot of work to do on his bike.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [schroeder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
schroeder wrote:

Assuming everyone was racing hard, coming out of the water ahead of Kanute would be a really encouraging sign...

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does this race qualify him? I was told by some coaches that this was the race they were going for to qualify for the elite card. Which I was kinda taken aback in that I was shocked USAT was going to actually make him go through the qualifying process. But it made sense since he hasn't raced a small level ITU CC just yet.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't about credibility, it is about gaining proficiency at riding in a pack so he is less likely to hurt someone else. It has almost no negative impact on him to have to do a few races first, with big potential upside for the other racers.

JSully wrote:
While I agree there should be some sort of 'celebrity exemption' for pro cards because of people like this-It isn't like it should take him a ton of races to get credibility if he's in good shape and committed, given he has previous swimming experience and he's already proven to be world class in one discipline.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well if the case is for DL pack riding experience, racing non-draft does nothing to accomplish those objectives. In reality, he would have like 4 chances to race DL racing and gain his pro card, and 2 of them have already passed (there is a race in Seattle in late June and Detroit middle of Aug that are elite qualifiers that are draft legal).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh well then it is mostly senseless.
Except of course it is usually best for these things to be mechanistic otherwise they can be corrupted.

BDoughtie wrote:
Well if the case is for DL pack riding experience, racing non-draft does nothing to accomplish those objectives. In reality, he would have like 4 chances to race DL racing and gain his pro card, and 2 of them have already passed (there is a race in Seattle in late June and Detroit middle of Aug that are elite qualifiers that are draft legal).

Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Webb raced the sprint and Kanute the Olympic distance I believe.

http://www.danfeeneyracing.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This result will qualify Alan for his pro card. From the USAT Elite Qualification Standards:

"Applying athlete has been on a USA Swimming, USA Cycling, or USA Track and Field Olympic or Pan American Games Team or National Elite Team (recognized by that NGB). The athlete must have finished in the top ten overall and within 10% of the overall winner’s time in at least one (1) USAT sanctioned event having at least 200 participants that occurred within the past 12 months."

Having competed at the World Championships and Olympics, under the auspices of USATF, he certainly qualifies for this special consideration. It, finally, goes to a Committee to decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Alan Webb Wins First Triathlon Today [DFeeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFeeney wrote:
Webb raced the sprint and Kanute the Olympic distance I believe.

Yup - Hall was 2nd to Webb in the sprint. Results are up now: http://www.marqueetri.com/marquee/results/

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The results page seems to be blank for me.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Based on his bike split compared to some known benchmarks in that local sprint race I would say he has a lot of work to do on his bike.

This is not so bad for only 5 weeks of cycle training. Still- I am not going to put him on my ITU fantasy podium for later this season.

Tom- lets assume that this result reflects 5 weeks of bike training. (Not some other technical problem).
How long would it take someone with bike talent, to go from says 23.73 mph on a course like this to say 26.73 mph?
Quote Reply

Prev Next