Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How was your week? Apr 7
Quote | Reply
I know nad was racing (how was it?!!!!) - others? How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Apr 8, 14 19:26
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Woohoo.
I had a great week. I swam once, got on the bike 3 times, one of which was outdoors, and got in all my scheduled runs. Even better, my Thurs. night 'race pace' run went well. I kind of oopsed and went about 10 sec faster per mile than my goal race pace. My legs felt crappy on my long run but the pace was totally good there too, so I can't complain.
This week - swim 1x, bike 3x, do all runs. This weekend will be my last fairly long run before the marathon.
The only thing I'm worried about with the marathon is I haven't been able to test out any possible race clothes. It's been so cold all my very long runs have been in tights. I doubt the marathon will be cold enough to warrant tights. So - hopefully this weekend will be decent enough I can test out some possible race shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, thanks to the 100 days challenge I got in 3 bikes (for a total of 1.5 hours) and 24 miles of walking--that's the good news. Not so good is that the back has been cranky. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment period.

Good luck with the marathon, Determination!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
18k swim (3100 done) done!!!
at least one day off from running no but at least the 7th one was short-ish
bike at least once no. Luggage was stolen. Bike shoes were in luggage. Did not have chance to buy new bike shoes.
keep doing well with food yes!!!!! the last time I binged was March 9... I have had some minor smallish issues since then but I am near a MONTH doing so well!!!!

Last week was an ok week - luggage was stolen so I spent an entire workday dealing with that instead of doing the schoolwork I had planned for that day. No fun but Alaska Air now owes me a big cheque and I will go shopping (I actually don't really like shopping) so I dealt with that... and Thursday was my 27th birthday :-) I am three cubed!

M - 7 mi run* + 3100 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 1000 yd swim
W - 8 mi run ** + 1800 yd swim
T - 8 mi run + 4000 yd swim
F - 7 mi run + 3200 yd swim
S - 9.5 mi run
S - 4.5 mi run + 5000 yd swim***

*workout 1 mi w/u 11 x 400 @ 8.0, 8.2, ... 10.0 mph with quarter recoveries at 6.2 mph .5 mi c/d
** workout 15 min warmup, 1,2,3,4,5 min @ 8.1 mph, 4 min @ 8.2, 3 min @ 8.3, 2 min @ 8.4, 1 min @ 8.5, 1 min @ 8.0, 2 min @ 8.2, 3 min @ 8.3, 2 min @ 8.4, 1 min @ 8.5, 0.4 mi c/d
***awesome swim, did 3 x 500 and went 6:10, 6:03, 6:04

Totals 18,100 yd swim + 52 mi run + 2.5 mi walking in w/u and c/d from running

Goals for this week
- swim 20k
- day off from running
- hip and shoulder exercises 2x
- purchase new bike shoes
Should be a fun week; advisor is away at a conference so I am in charge*!!!!

*all this actually means is I have his office key, but it is still fun to say.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 4: WIN with 5 & did my 20k run on Saturday
Swim x 3: WIN with 4
Bike x 2: WIN incl an outdoor ride!
Core/strength/foam roll x 4: WIN

So it turns out that between the 30k race on Sunday the 30th and the 3 short runs during the week (Tue, Wed, Thr), the 20k on Saturday put me at 65k in 7 days/5 runs. No wonder it seemed a bit tough, especially since I ran it about 10s per kilometer faster than I intended.

Whoops. Eeh, we'll call it good training for the marathon.

This week's goals:
Run x 6 for 70k total
Swim x 3
Bike x 1
Core/strength x 4

Last big push week before a 2 week taper for the Waterloo Marathon. Everything except running is going to be easy and/or optional. I'm fighting off a cold and only got 4hrs of sleep last night, so I need all my reserves to get through this (will be my biggest run week ever) and try to stay healthy.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Awesome week-mostly spent at "The Womens of Slowtwitch" training camp.
Mon- off
Tues- Track workout (about 3 miles, cut short due to pain in calf)
Wed- drove to Valyermo, after working 1/2 day
Thurs- swim workout and run/walk at altitude
Fri- run/hike at altitude, swim workout
Sat- long bike 36 miles lots of climbing, nothing remotely resembling flat terrain up at Xantusia
Sun- hill repeats from Xantusia to the Valyermo post office (2x approximately 16 miles)
Had a great time even though I was the only one not training for an Ironman or Challenge (140.6 ) distance this year. Did a lot better with climbing and distance than when I was there last. Got a lot more training in this time, since we had fabulous weather.

This weeks goals-
Mon- off
Tues-track
Wed- spin
Thur- ??
Fri- ?? maybe swim
Sat- race- LA tri series #1 of 3
Sun- ride

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for remembering. I raced Galveston 70.3
Quick RR
So - generally super good day. Weather much better than expected.
Swim - I was really scared I was going to freeze. I even went out Thurday night and bought a long sleeve wetsuit. If anything, I was actually too warm on swim (not counting jumping into the water which was cold.). It was terribly windy, so water was choppy, I now know what it's like to swim in a washing machine. Slower time than expected by 3-4 min, but overall pleased I didn't freeze or drown. As you know TC I've been trying to improve my swim. Not reflected in this time, but I don't think it was a fair test of how much I've improved. 40 min swim.
Bike - Tail wind going out. I pushed the pace gently. I was worried about the head wind coming back. Turned around at mile 28 and was please to find the wind was not directly in my face, so I was able to keep a much faster pace than expected. Felt good, had to keep reminding myself to push the pace. Mile 54 I was coming around a sweeping right turn, a girl came on the right side of me (not allowed - you have to pass on left) and so I over corrected and went head first into a curb / grassy field. Dizzy at first, but was able to get up, bike only a little bent, made it to second transition with much better bike split than thought, but lost several minutes due to crash. Hit hard on left side, which would come back to hurt my left hip on run. 2:37 on bike.
Run - Started strong. Did great until about mile 6, when my decision to not wear socks was a stupid one. My feet are all ground up. Then about mile 9-10, left hip really started to hurt. Last couple miles had to slow down to a 8 min / mile pace, but finished fairly strong. 1:41 run
Total time 5:04. 20 minute PR, and 11 minutes better than I expected my best time to be (I was hoping for 5:15). So I am generally happy. But of course the voices are saying - you should have been under 5, no crash and wearing socks and I would have had it. Dang it. Next time..

Thanks TC and all the womens for your amazing support. I love the community here.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Congratulations! How are you feeling post-crash?

Choppy water = very hard for swimming!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, tough day! Good on you for even finishing it after the crash, and congrats on the massive PR!

Hope everything heals up well.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Thanks Tigerchik and Mistress K.
Again, the support from the womens is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a great time, even with the crash. Way to go! I would ask "what were you thinking-not wearing socks for a half?" but I imagine you've asked yourself that plenty of times. ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A huge congratulations! You are one tough cookie to keep it together after a crash which left your head spinning!

So awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was a good week. Lighter week recovering from the half marathon. Back at it this week!

Goals:
4 swim (2down)
3 ride
5 run

Happy training all and good luck to everyone racing this weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nad - awesome work there - 20min PR is big esp with an endo in there.

tc - better update the thread title :-)

Last week:
- Run 4x -DONE
- Ride 1x - DONE
- Swim 1x - FAIL :-(
- Ghetto gym with Steve the Shirtless Wonder 2x -DONE
- Start thinking about what new to try next... - In process

This week:
- run 4x
- ride 4x
- swim 1x
- ghetto gym 2x

I ordered shorttrack skates so I can't wait til they get here....!!!!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
tc - better update the thread title :-)

heheh oops.

:D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Indeed! Great job! I'm glad you were OK enough to keep going after the fall. Don't beat yourself up too badly about what could have been. Just use it as "data" for next time. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Wow, that's a great time, even with the crash. Way to go! I would ask "what were you thinking-not wearing socks for a half?" but I imagine you've asked yourself that plenty of times. ;-)

Great question. Yes, I did ask myself that a LOT.
First, I did a sprint last year, and the no sock thing worked like a charm. had under one min T2. Of course, that was only three miles. My feel started feeling it at mile 6.
Also, I asked my coach. He thought I should try it. He suggested I use Vaseline all over my feet before the swim. I did that. It didn't work. So my lesson is- for sprint it's ok, but never again anything longer.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? March 31 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
Indeed! Great job! I'm glad you were OK enough to keep going after the fall. Don't beat yourself up too badly about what could have been. Just use it as "data" for next time. :-)

That's what I keep telling myself. Thanks for the encouragement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for a HIM I put a tub of vaseline in transition and spread it on my feet before I put my run shoes on. Quicker than socks.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doing some soul searching. Did Ironman 70.3 Galveston for the second time this weekend. Improved my time by 30 minutes, but I'm still super duper slow - 7hrs 45min. So I wonder if I should still be doing these stupid races if I have absolutely no athletic talent. And if I quit, what hobby should I take up?

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [tejanatab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you have fun at Galveston? If yes, continue. If not, then might be time to re-evaluate.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Apr 7 [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Did you have fun at Galveston? If yes, continue. If not, then might be time to re-evaluate.

This is complicated.
Hated the swim since I am not strong and I got lost at the start. Loved the bike and had a great time on that. Liked the parts of the run where I could actually run. Loved finishing.

I just wonder if there is room for non-athletic people like me. But really, I'm just navel gazing.

My triathlon training blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree w/ Tri3. It totally depends on how much you enjoy it.

BUT - 30 minute PR - that's awesome. Obviously you're doing something right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
for a HIM I put a tub of vaseline in transition and spread it on my feet before I put my run shoes on. Quicker than socks.

That would have been a much smarter plan. Now I don't know if I'll have the courage to ever even try sockless again. My feet are pretty torn up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tejanatab wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

This is complicated.
Hated the swim since I am not strong and I got lost at the start. Loved the bike and had a great time on that. Liked the parts of the run where I could actually run. Loved finishing.

I just wonder if there is room for non-athletic people like me. But really, I'm just navel gazing.

The swim was horrible. But they're not all that bad. Maybe just some more open water practice. But that was a hard swim.
And it doesn't sound like you're non - athletic. You finished a 1/2 ironman. Be proud of yourself. And easier said than done - don't compare yourself to others. If you like it and are getting better than continue.
Quote Reply

Prev Next