Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [neilridley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:
There are 3 armpad drillings and 2 widths for the extensions depending on how much stack you run

Thanks. Yes, I'm aware of the 3 widths on the pads themselves and that the extensions are either 110mm or 80mm apart depending on whether I'm running them with or without the riser respectively.

I was hoping there might be a "secret" adapter (much like the extension adapters I found on another thread here allowing me to run
a ski tip extension) that might allow me to run the arm rests wider than those 6 settings. I'm pretty flexible so I have them mounted with out the risers but I'm also not a small dude and I think I may not be as aero as I can be by having my elbows that narrow.

Cheers!

Edit: Check that, I guess it was actually earlier in this thread that I found the aftermarket extension adapters. Maybe I should just sit down and plow through all 88 pages here. Ugh. ;-)

You mean something like these
http://i234.photobucket.com/...712d_zpsda8d1b5a.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/...6252_zps91deeb8a.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/...0276_zpse375ade3.jpg

Neil
Yup. Those are the ones I have too. I have my arm rests mounted directly (with 35mm of stack) on the base bar. Might even be able to go a bit lower. Just want to have the option to go wider with the elbows if possible. Won't really matter until I can get some time in a tunnel, at an aero camp, or do some testing on my own though to determine what's faster.

Oh wait, I see what you did there. By putting the extensions below the riser you can get the arm rests back to the wide setting. Hmm, that riser looks different (mine is solid, no cut out in the middle). I'll have to see if I can mount mine like that too.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [goneskiian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats because i made the plate joining the extension adaptors, its 1/4"
Carbon i waterjetted out and put threaded inserts to the spacing of my armpads(hed butterfly)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
Carbon i waterjetted out and put threaded inserts to the spacing of my armpads(hed butterfly)
Oh. Damn. Well the search continues. Unless, of course, you made more than one and you want to sell the other one! ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:
Oh. Damn. Well the search continues. Unless, of course, you made more than one and you want to sell the other one! ;)[/quote

I still have the cad drawing i can send you but dont have any carbon left
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
neilridley wrote:
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:

Oh. Damn. Well the search continues. Unless, of course, you made more than one and you want to sell the other one! ;)[/quote

I wonder how much it would cost to have made? I don't have the chops but it might be worth it to have a couple made up in case I need them.

Would aluminum be less expensive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:

I wonder how much it would cost to have made? I don't have the chops but it might be worth it to have a couple made up in case I need them.

Would aluminum be less expensive?

I used carbon as i thought it would be less chance of it cracking , i got it from ebay in germany and local engineering company waterjetted it for Ł20 (i drew the cad drawing) also pressed a couple of inserts into the holes for the armpads so i didnt have to try and thread the carbon and no chance of pulling out
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark - my LBS just installed a Power2Max power meter (compact 50/34) onto my Shiv. While riding after the install, the rear brake cable got into the small ring while I was in the small ring. It sheared off the cable end cap and frayed the cable end. Maybe the PM crank (Rotor 3D+) sits closer to the frame than the factory crank/chainrings did (FSA SLK light 52/36) did. I was able to wrap the cable away from the chainring to finish the ride. It's possible there was too much extra cable there to start with. Have you run into any issues with anyone running compact (or even Rotor 3D+ specifically) having clearance issues?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ErikSchmidt [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They bolted right onto my 2011 Nosecone Shiv. I imagine they probably fit other Shivs as well. Bolt spacin was perfect.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey gadzooks.............is that the Vuka Stealth on your Shiv? How are you liking it so far?

CC
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in the middle of installing a 7970 Di2 system onto my shiv rival comp. I ran into an issue with the battery mount on the non-drive side chain stay. The short battery mount I tried using doesn't bolt on because 1 of the screws doesn't line up. In addition, the battery mount bolts that came on the frame are too long. For those who are running Di2 on your shiv tri bike, how did you mount the external battery? I found a few posts about needing the bottle cage relocator (SM-BA01), is that what I need?

http://specialized.desk.com/...2-13-shiv-comp-rival

http://specialized.desk.com/...-on-a-2-12-shiv-comp
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had two Shiv frames; the older on mounted on the side and the new one mounts the battery under the crank; I also had to buy a different junction box when I changed over. If the bolts are too long you could also match the threads and get a shorter bolt from a hardware store.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bolts aren't a major problem, but they are the ones that came with the bike. The problem is the mount not lining up properly with the bolts. 1 bolt is at least 1/4 inch off. I'll get a photo of it later tonight to illustrate my problem. I think all shiv tri frames mount on the non-drive side chain stay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
goneskiian wrote:
neilridley wrote:

Oh. Damn. Well the search continues. Unless, of course, you made more than one and you want to sell the other one! ;)

Turn the arm pad holders around and mount them the opposite way they are now….they will be wider. The curvature of the piece is a little different, but it didn't bother me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NeverEnough] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I could afford this (11000 second hand) I would buy this today. This is what I want my Shiv to look like! Even if the enve wheels aren't as fast as mavic or zipp.

Quote Reply
Post deleted by tomspharmacy [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: tomspharmacy: Apr 3, 14 9:29
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tomspharmacy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am considering upgrading my Shiv Comp Rival to Di2. Is there a good thread/walkthrough on how to do this, part list, etc?

I am not looking for the old ST standby of "learn how to use the search function"
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2012 Shiv Comp. I originally used a SM-BMR2 external battery mount on the non-drive side chain stay, which worked fine i.e., the holes aligned but I did have to use shorter bolts. I ended up going with the internal battery so I have one available if you're interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chamblin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm installing the older 7970 Di2 series on my Shiv comp so I don't think the SM-BMR2 battery will work because that one uses the e-tube wiring. I figured out that my problem was due to having the wrong mount. I bought the Di2 system used that came off a speed concept, which apparently has its own special mount from Shimano. I need to get the standard shimano mount in order for it to work. Below is a photo of the mount I have and a photo of the correct mount I need. You can clearly see that the spacing between the mounting holes on mine are much closer than the standard Shimano short battery mount.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/...6577569830817644.pdf

Quote Reply
Post deleted by Coolmann_dk [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [joshmackow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshmackow wrote:
If I could afford this (11000 second hand) I would buy this today. This is what I want my Shiv to look like! Even if the enve wheels aren't as fast as mavic or zipp.

How would zipp or mavic prove that they are faster than ENVE? I seriously doubt that statement is true. 

Only wind tunnel tests at exact same bike and equipment will tell. Just ask Mark Cote, he has a lot of experience with wind tunnel testing the SHIV.

Take a look at this chart (click on picture to get larger image) ENVE is almost faster in any YAW angle....

Last edited by: Coolmann_dk: Apr 3, 14 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [GsterB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GsterB wrote:
I have been reading this thread on the Shiv for a while as I have and love my SWorks.
Gearing up for the new tri season in the UK, last week I thought about changing the seat post to get a little closer forward and aero.

It was al going so well and then with my torque wrench set on 5, the top of the seat screw came off in my hand and I couldn't get it out.
Took the bike back to my LBS and the stainless lug came out of the seat post clamp connector……exactly as I have been reading on this friggin thread!!!! :(

Anyway, apparently my LBS spoke to Spech who told him he can attempt to bond it within the Warranty, so this is what he is doing. Yesterday we thought it was all binder and go (and it was), then as we tightened the screws on the clamp, the other side came out….so this is to be rebounded and the same depth as the left hand side.

Fingers crossed we get it fixed. It's with a guy who does carbon fibre things for F1 cars, so I am pretty confident of a good solution.

I called Specialized UK today who told me if it wasn't a good fix, to send it back for their review / repair / replacement as a last resort.

It is THE nicest bike I have ever had, and I love it, so I am hoping it will all be good. If not, I am supposing we start again with a different / new frame?

Picked up my new SWorks frame and crankset, all built up by my local bike shop, last night!
The repair did not work, so Specialized gave a warranty replacement. I am chuffed, my season is back on track!
Thank you Specialized! :)

http://www.gsterb.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [GsterB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious what the max torque for that bolt is?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing too exciting but I got the Sitero wing and keg storage today. Very nice and well thought out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what to do when the Allen head screw that holds the cover to the water fuselage just spins. It won't loosen up at all. LBS said that I have to strip frame and send it back to specialized to repair.
Quote Reply

Prev Next