Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official power2max support thread [power2max] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received my Power2Max Type S last week and installed it last night.

Installation was pretty seamless short of finding a solid piece of wood to attach my vice. I was already running a Rotor 3D crank, so first I needed to remove the spider. From another thread here, a bit of heat on the lock ring helped loosen it up to remove it. After cleaning it, I reapplied some loctite to the threads before I tightening it down after installing the powermeter. I did notice I need to remove the bottom plastic housing from my Argon E116 so that I could screw the battery cover back on. Not that big of a deal and easier than removing the cranks to replace the battery.

Once it was installed, it synced seamlessly with my Garmin 510. I've done one test ride so far comparing values between the power2max and my kickr/Garmin Cadence sensor. Cadence is spot on, though it does take a bit to catch up when you accelerate. Power was higher initially (20w higher during warmup and first interval), so I stopped and did a spindown on the kickr. After the spindown, the difference was closer to what I was expecting between the power2max and the Kickr.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, I have contacted them. I have purchased a new Renata battery with a end date of June/2020, so I think this battery should have enough life! I have measure and voltage is ok.

When I inserted into power meter it blinks green a lot of times (about 20seg) and no red led blinking, I think that it is positive. So I will wait to see the life of this battery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hi Nicholas,

got the P2M type S for Specialized crankarms installed this weekend. Just fyi to my previous question, there's not enough clearance for the Quarq Red magnet on the chainstay. I had to remove it.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolas,

I got a chance to ride again on the trainer and was again surprised at the big discrepancy of the L/R power. It looks like the power difference is consistently off at different power levels. Here's the garmin file if you want to check it out. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/471448707 . It just seems too much of a difference 45/55. Any ideas? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [astig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Astig,

I am currently 46-54 on my road bike and 50-50 on my TT bike. There is no "too much". Incidentally this also shows the advantage of measuring all the power vs one leg - if you are at 45-55 as you are you would see 10% lower power on a one-leg system.

Our algorithm always does the same thing - sum the power associated with the left down stroke and the power with the right down stroke. As I mentioned the method differs slightly from what Quarq does because we have another way of determining the power phases (peak to peak, rather than 0 degrees).

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
http://www.power2max.com/northamerica
official power meter of Movistar Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for your input. Im glad I dont have that one-legged PM. I would get depressed if all of a sudden my FTP dropped by 10%. hehe

I guess I may need to work on my left leg strength. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Astig,

I would take the balance info more as a pointer than a training goal. For example I have been drifting down from 48-52 to 46-54 recently, but am also slightly injured on my left leg after I overdid running. So I would keep an eye on the data and if you see sudden changes or drifts over time I would ask the question why it's happening and if it's something you should address. When I talk to people about the merits of actively trying to affect balance I have not heard much in the way that suggests it's worth it.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicholas,

Happy owner of a Power2Max here. I've got the Rotor 3D version, and since I've changed some plans for next season, wish to change my crank length. Just wanted to verify: Are the arms exactly identical with those of stock 3D arms? Can I swap the spider to a different set of Rotor 3D cranks?

Metar Heller

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessartype wrote:
Nicholas,

Happy owner of a Power2Max here. I've got the Rotor 3D version, and since I've changed some plans for next season, wish to change my crank length. Just wanted to verify: Are the arms exactly identical with those of stock 3D arms? Can I swap the spider to a different set of Rotor 3D cranks?

Metar Heller

Yes all Rotor 3D road crank arms...............but not the 3D Track version.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perfect. Order placed on a set of 175mms - time to shelf the TT bike until autumn and get back on the road bike.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi tessartype,

that's right - and thanks Tillquist!

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Nicolas,
I'm having problems installing Q-Rings (and QXL) on S-Works FACT carbon cranks with the type S power2max. Is this a known bad combination? What hapens is that the Rotor ring fouls the inside of the crank making the rings wobble and rub the front derallieur.
Kindest regards,
Kent
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [cykelcitysth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Kent,

this is not a known issue - actually my colleague rides the Specialized with Q-Rings. Can you please send us pictures to support at power2max dot com? I guess it's most likely an installation topic.

Best
nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for my peace of mind, I did a static torque test on the left and right cranks.

Baseline calibration factor (unweighted): -1184
left crank (weighted 32 lbs): -1038 (36/25t), -1043 (52/25t)
right crank (weighted 32 lbs): -1041 (36/25), -1042 (52/25t)

I worked out the numbers and am within 0.27% (left) - 1.8% (right) of the slope printed on the certificate. So I guess, it's my leg. DAMN!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi astig,

you can rest assured, the algorithm is very unemotional and just does its thing :).

A side note - we don't recommend the static torque test, because it has too many potential sources of error and has a systemic bias due to bottom bracket friction. Our calibration at the factory is designed to so that this does not factor in. That's why you can't compare factory calibration with a static torque test in a meaningful way.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Nicolas,
I was wondering if you could help answer a question I had? I sent a message on Monday to the support contact and hadn't heard back so I thought I would go ahead and post my question here. Here it goes:

I currently purchased a Trek SC 7.5 with SRAM Force 22. I was wondering if you could tell me what Power2Max Powermeter would work best for me? I believe its still a BB90 and I see there is a Type S compatible with Force 22, but I tried using the powermeter selector and when it came up with my options that wasn't one of them. I really want to ensure that I am selecting the right one. Thank you for your time and response.
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi lestoad,

sorry if your email slipped through. You can simply order the Type S for SRAM and install it on your Force22 cranks, it will work fine with your Speed Concept. One thing you should know: The Force22 has a reversed bolt pattern with a hidden bolt under the cranks. Our power meter has the "normal" bolt pattern, so the chain drop pin would be on the other side if you use the Force22 chain rings.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again!!

Do I need Classic or Compact? I am assuming Compact?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [lestoad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi lestoad,

that depends on your chain ring size preference:
Compact: 50-34 or 52-36
Classic: 53-39 or bigger.

Cheers
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NIcolas; do you have the new 2014 Rotor cranks yet? also is there a plan to develop the duraace crank?
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi R2,

unfortunately we don't yet - as an OEM customer it takes a bit longer till we get the new graphics. The cranks are almost unchanged (very slight weight differences).

Re Shimano - we can't because the cranks aren't available to us.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nicolas-

I've been using a P2M Classic with Praxis rings on my P5 with no issues. I like things that just work!. I had a shop build up a road bike also with a P2M classic and Rotor Q-Rings (50/34 non-aero). Both bikes are 110BCD, 3D+ cranks. I took my P5 into a different shop to have it checked for the warranty recall and also to swap the Praxis rings for a set of Q-Rings (52/36 non-aero) and they called saying they are having an issue mounting them. I didn't fully understand the problem, but sounded like an issue with spacing and the battery compartment etc. Is there any known issues here or something they might need to be doing differently? My road bike has the exact same configuration and I don't recall that shop having to do anything out of the ordinary. Thanks.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Last edited by: rbrnut: Apr 4, 14 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

The Classic power meter has a limitation in the compact version: aero and "normal" Q-rings interfere with the battery compartment. The solution is to modify the chain ring or to use a Type S. Your 50-34 chain rings will have been the OCP3.

Sorry that I don't have better news.

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the quick response. Just to clarify, my 50/34's were definitely modified then to fit on the Classic P2M on my road bike? That's what this shop thought too, about the P5, that they have to modify the rings.

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: Official power2max support thread [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

if you had the 50-34 Rotor OCP3 Q-Rings they will have fit on there without any modification. Here you can see how the ring needs to be modified:

Best
Nicolas

---
power2max
Quote Reply

Prev Next