Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [tri_atl12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son has an XSmall Shiv Pro. To obtain the coordinates for the handlebar, he needs to use the 110mm stem in place of the 90mm. He will be using 20mm of spacers. The pads will be 5mm above the base bar. For such a small size of bike will using the 110mm stem affect the handling of the bike in terms of stability and twitchiness because of the shortness of the front center of the bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [giro_man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on his skill level. It very well could....especially at first but in time he could get used to it. I just went from a 90 mm stem to 140 mm stem. My fingers are even with the front of my front tire. I noticed I little awkwardness on my first ride with the new fit but a few rides later and all is well as far as handling. Being that low and that far forward....it will be easier to 'endo' over the front because of my center of gravity is forward....but I'm fine with it. He should be able to tell after a few rides if he's comfy and confident in that position.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone found a good place for a garmin on their Shiv? With my BTA bottle I'm struggling...and it doesn't help that I have a 705 so its bigger. I'm thinking about trying to get it on the stem between the super narrow aerobars...but it just seems like a PITA.

Anyone have some unique suggestions? I'm considering one of the SRAM quickview things at the very front of the aerobars..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the speedfill Z4 BTA.. it's a BTA & has the mount for the garmin too. The only thing I don't like is that I have to point the opening towards myself/the exposed portion of cables in order for the garmin to stay secure when there's no bottle in there. With a little bit of leaking from the bottle I get fluid all over the cables and it's not the easiest to get the bottle in and out. But, it put's the garmin in the right place so there's that!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [sidzven] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks awesome. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have the speedfil Z4. I have mine mounted with the nozzle of the bottle pointed out towards my hands. My garmin 510 rattles around a little without a bottle in there but not to the point where it will fall off. When I put a bottle in the cage it is pretty solid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_atl12 wrote:
Anyone found a good place for a garmin on their Shiv? With my BTA bottle I'm struggling...and it doesn't help that I have a 705 so its bigger.
The Xlab Torpedo works OK with 500/510/310XT/910XT:

You could also have the quarter-turn mount at the top of the bottle:

(from this post.)

Edit: Personally, I'd grab a spare quarter-turn mount and fix it to the BTA bottle with epoxy / hot glue.
Last edited by: uucee: Mar 7, 14 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got an 810 and a 910xt and the 810 will go on the aero bar with the supplied wraparound mount and sits right under my wrist. That's OK for training although you have to move your hand slightly to see the display, so it's definitely not a perfect location. When I'm racing I'm wearing the 910xt only. The 810 stays at home.

So, my unique solution or suggestion? Get a 910xt. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
just wondering, is specialized planning on launching a new shiv anytime soon?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [buck_shot11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love Specialized Shiv and this bike is a perfect fit for my body geometry. I have been planned to build a custom bouild with all my dream parts and a S-Works Shiv framekit (the black). I have bought all the parts and Im ready for the season. But my shop tells me that the Shiv is not in stock i Europe and haven't been that for quite a while (I ride M (54)) they say that only xl is left.
Does anyone know when to expect new Shiv frames possible to ordrer? I really liked the matte black with the black S-Works sign on it, came out last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For Mark Cote (Specialized)

I just finished my project this week. I tried to order the Fuel Cell. at my local bike shop. Is it really true that they are unavaliable for ordering???
What going on.... You buy a 7K USD- S-Works frameset and specialized cant supply any fuel cells!
Very disapointing because this unit is already mounted on the 2014 models....... mine is an 2013...

* Setup is the 11 SP Ultegra DI-2 with dura-ace shifters, also shifters in the brakes
* PowerTap SES 6.7 Enve wheels.
* Sitero saddle
* Look Keo Carbon pedals

Does anyone have experience with these brakes (Omega SV from TriRig: http://www.tririg.com/store.php?c=omega

Standard brakes are really disapointing compared to the build quality of SRAM red that I am used to on my Tarmac SL-4 Pro

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Coolmann_dk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ordered one before Christmas and just picked it up this past weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the tririg omega sv on my shiv. Love them!! I installed them myself and I am new to cycling(started two years ago). They look great and stop great...way better than the stock brakes. Omegas adjust better and easier than the stock brakes also. The only trouble with the omega on the shiv is if you put the omega on the bottom(rear brake)...the crank is in the way of one of the adjuster screws. I filed down a hex wrench so that it would fit in between the crank and into the adjuster screw. The task is much easier now....I have to adjust often because my tacx trainer tire is way wider than my mavic training tires. I highly recommend the omegas for shiv.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ekrub10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ekrub10 wrote:
I ordered one before Christmas and just picked it up this past weekend!

O.K Got it from Specialized Concept Store Copenhagen, they had 5 i stock :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Coolmann_dk wrote:
At least you didn't have to pay $75 for it…

Fuelselage: $40 vs. 30 €
Fuelcell: $75 vs. 30 €

Specialized knows their American tri customers so well…
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uucee wrote:
Coolmann_dk wrote:
At least you didn't have to pay $75 for it…

Fuelselage: $40 vs. 30 €
Fuelcell: $75 vs. 30 €

Specialized knows their American tri customers so well…

I paid 249 DKR. wich is 46.5 USD. Normally everything is cheaper in the US.

BTW. Really happy with my enve wheels. Very stiff and they do not flex when i push really hard + 600 watts. 808's from zipp will flex...at least at my weight (91 KG.)
Last edited by: Coolmann_dk: Mar 13, 14 12:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
makes me want an enve for my shiv! killer looks bro :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been reading this thread on the Shiv for a while as I have and love my SWorks.
Gearing up for the new tri season in the UK, last week I thought about changing the seat post to get a little closer forward and aero.

It was al going so well and then with my torque wrench set on 5, the top of the seat screw came off in my hand and I couldn't get it out.
Took the bike back to my LBS and the stainless lug came out of the seat post clamp connector……exactly as I have been reading on this friggin thread!!!! :(

Anyway, apparently my LBS spoke to Spech who told him he can attempt to bond it within the Warranty, so this is what he is doing. Yesterday we thought it was all binder and go (and it was), then as we tightened the screws on the clamp, the other side came out….so this is to be rebounded and the same depth as the left hand side.

Fingers crossed we get it fixed. It's with a guy who does carbon fibre things for F1 cars, so I am pretty confident of a good solution.

I called Specialized UK today who told me if it wasn't a good fix, to send it back for their review / repair / replacement as a last resort.

It is THE nicest bike I have ever had, and I love it, so I am hoping it will all be good. If not, I am supposing we start again with a different / new frame?

http://www.gsterb.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking to add a power meter to my 2013 Shiv Expert. What PMs have others used and what do you prefer? I'd prefer crank-based so I can swap training wheels/race wheels easily. Looking at Quarq Riken and Power2Max. Likely going compact 50/34. Any recommendations or other things I should consider?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put in the specialized Quarq powermeter in Jan and have had good results. As you can imagine my training has trained pretty drastically since I got the PM and have incorporated TrainerRoad.com . I also went compact as I am more a spinner than a masher and have been pretty happy thus far. Unless your FTP is very high a compact should be fine. I have rarely needed a bigger gear than 50-11 (which is bigger that 53-12).

JW (on the comback trail)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question if you have time. I recently switched from a Slice to a Shiv and from Stinger 9s to Enve 8.9s. I weigh 145 lbs and have been racing bikes for 25 years.
My issue is getting blown around like mad by crosswinds that aren't even that bad. I did Kona with Stinger 9's and was ok.

It feels like somebody is grabbing by bars and shaking them in 10-15mph winds

It is better but still very noticeable without the deep front wheel. Would not putting hydration BTA help? Is there much of an aero penalty to ditching the fuelcell and BTA and going with a round bottle on the seat-tube and a saddlebag for flat repair kit?

The bike is faster than my old set up by .3-.4 mph @ 21mph, but it is not faster if I am laying in a ditch! Doing Los Cabos in a couple weeks and it is sure windier there than my hometown.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those with the Sitero saddle with the bottle holder built in do you use it? Same for the Fuelsalage, do you use it or do you use something else. I was using the holder on the Sitero and since it lays at a pretty flat angle it is hard for me to reach back and get it and wondering if a different system that held the bottle more upright would be easier for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sitero always launched them like rockets so I dont use it. I do use the fuselage though. I dont know why you wouldn't...it's built in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_atl12 wrote:
My sitero always launched them like rockets so I dont use it. I do use the fuselage though. I dont know why you wouldn't...it's built in!

What cage were you using? We've had good luck with the Plastic and especially with the carbon Specialized Rib cage. obviously, this is better with Specialized bottles but generally, we've had good results with most on the market.

Sorry I've been off of this thread for a while - we've been stacked at the Win Tunnel - but I'll make an effort to be back on here more.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
I have a question if you have time. I recently switched from a Slice to a Shiv and from Stinger 9s to Enve 8.9s. I weigh 145 lbs and have been racing bikes for 25 years.
My issue is getting blown around like mad by crosswinds that aren't even that bad. I did Kona with Stinger 9's and was ok.

It feels like somebody is grabbing by bars and shaking them in 10-15mph winds

It is better but still very noticeable without the deep front wheel. Would not putting hydration BTA help? Is there much of an aero penalty to ditching the fuelcell and BTA and going with a round bottle on the seat-tube and a saddlebag for flat repair kit?

The bike is faster than my old set up by .3-.4 mph @ 21mph, but it is not faster if I am laying in a ditch! Doing Los Cabos in a couple weeks and it is sure windier there than my hometown.

Thanks.

Hey jjh,

Shiv or not, that's a lot of wheel to be keeping down so I'm surprised that 90mm deep wheels on your Slice didn't give similar feelings. I'm sure you've already done these, but here's the check list I'd run through:

-check headset preload, re-tighten stem
-make sure skewers are tight
-check tires on Enve are glued straight (if tubulars); if clinchers, check for any cuts/buldges

-then test ride all configurations:
-Shiv w training wheels
-Shiv w Stinger 9's
-training wheel front
-Shiv with Enve's
-training wheel front
-Stinger front
-Remove fuelcell

From a raw wind tunnel data perspective, the Enve wheels tend to fair very well in wide yaw scenarios meaning that the suction (downwind) side of the rims usually maintains flow attachment. While they're the same depth as the Hed's, I expect they'd ride really differently in crosswinds. I haven't spent time with your two wheelsets so I can't speculate much more on these - that's why I'd just try every combination you can until you either rule that the crosswind handling challenges are from the wheels or frame, etc.

On the frame/fuelcell side - The Shiv's center of pressure is farther back and a bit lower on the DT. There is a lot of surface area but generally it's similar to almost any other bike with a DT bottle, albeit the pressure from a crosswind is more steady and stable on a Shiv. The Fuelcell adds very little side force (or net drag reduction) as it's really just sitting in the wake of the front wheel and DT. It's basically negligible from a drag and side force standpoint expect at about 15-20 degrees where it's a tad more aero and gives a bit more side force.

Switching from Fuelcell and BTA to saddle bag and round ST bottle is roughly 0.5 secs/km-1.0 secs/km slower depending upon your position, arm width, etc. The additional drag would come from the ST bottle almost entirely. A BTA can be negligible to a hair slower (from our most recent testing) but is almost always more aero than a frame bottle.

Hope this helps - If I get extra time this week, I'll simulate a few things in the tunnel. We're no onto riding rollers in the tunnel, so we're testing real crosswind feel versus just measuring.

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply

Prev Next