Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri?
Quote | Reply
SRAM just unveiled a single chainring groupo for cyclocross, following on their successful MTB single-ring option. Interesting mention in this article that the triathlon market might be next: http://www.cyclingnews.com/...by-cyclo-cross-group

I took a quick look at the gearing, and it looks like you could run a 46 tooth chainring and an 11-32 cassette, and you'd have a pretty good gear range for nearly all circumstances except downhill with a tailwind: about the equivalent of 34-24 for the low end and a 53-13 for the top. Maybe not big enough for the real hammers, but more than enough for us mere mortals.

So, what do folks think? Would you go with a single chainring setup like that, and shed all the extra weight and hassle of a front derailleur and double rings? Of course, your SRM's and Quarq's would have to go, too. I might do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [TriTater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because people want narrower gaps between gears and often want an easier gear than 46x32
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I understand the narrower gaps, although when I started racing I only had 12 gears with a double chainring. And this way you wouldn't have any overlaps. You might be right about the low-end, though I think there are probably a fair number of folks who don't need anything easier than a 34-24. That's a pretty low gear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I would suspect it is because a front derailleur isn't really much of a "hassle", once you've actually set up your bike It's a solved problem. And on a tri bike, the extra weight of the front derailleur/chainring is negligible -- unless you are on a course where you need that easier gear...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

42t single with 165mm cranks
12/25t 8sp cassette (the left bar end shifter is just on for symmetry/weight)

I custom geared it for myself, riding 13 - 21 mph on flat roads with 90 - 100 rpm. I use my road bike on hilly terrain.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neat. Have you had any problem losing a chain? I know the SRAM rings have teeth specially designed to keep the chain on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, chain is staying on without a problem. You have to make sure your chain line is good, and that your chain length and derailleur cage size are optimal and match. Its a 20+ year-old Shimano Exage derailleur off my 1992 F. Moser steel vintage….. reuse and recycle. Happy riding.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet setup, nice idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quite a few people did back in the late 80's/ early 90's. Apart from the chain drop issue, a double is just the standard. The small ring can be really save your running legs if an unexpected headwind shows up. The weight and aero penalties are pretty small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would be into it. After playing around with the Sheldon Brown gear chart, I did a 1X10 conversion for my CX/Commuter.

Picked up a Wolf Tooth 42T chainring and run an 11-28 cassette. That works great for just about everything around town and some hills. I could see gripes of big gaps while climbing and running out of gears going downhill. Would work great for my road bike (no road races for me), but I don't know I would want to race on it if I wanted to keep a cadence/wattage range.

I have another Wolf Tooth ring coming for my mtn bike and my next project is to change the roadie to probably 44/11-32.

But I'm keeping 53/39 with my 12-27 to race triathlons until I get my 1X12!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think sequential electronically shifted/gearing with a 2 x 11s system would be far more useful for triathlon.

If MOP triathletes are riding at 70-80% of FTP on hilly or windy courses a 1x system will not be enough.

If you're a time trialist on the other hand, riding at 100-110% of FTP on flatter courses I can see the 1x system having some merit.

The drag and to a lesser degree the extra weight of a front shifter and front derailleur could certainly be the difference in a short distance effort.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a 44t wolftooth and 11-32 cassette on my rain bike (road bike) and I haven't wanted more gears on either end - I dont think I'd want to race it though.

I'm also using a wolftooth 40t ring and 11-32 on my CX race bike and it has been awesome. I paired it with a SRAM XO clutch RD - very nice setup.

Yeah I had an 11-25 cassette on my CX race wheels and I felt a little over-geared. I think your setup is better. I'm using a regular non-clutch RD and haven't had any drops. The chain does bounce around though.

But riding 1X is a blast. Almost like a single speed, with the exception that you can actually find the right gear.

/kj

Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The clutch RD really helps with chainslap and drastically lowers the chance of chainsuck in really muddy conditions. I had some chainsuck problems in a muddy race using my force Wifli RD before I switched, and it didnt happen again in similar conditions with the clutch.

I find the bigger spacing on 11-32 cassettes actually better for CX as the courses normally require that (steep up and downs) - at least in my area. Road cassettes have me shifting way too much.

1x8 speed 54t x 11-28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's one reason...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Tx6MV_XyM

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see that much of an upside to it. Riding in a 30 mph wind either into it
or with it there's plenty of downside to not having the right gear for the job.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I would race on a 1x front but maybe not want to train on one. Well come to think of it I never use little ring and have 11-25 in the back so maybe I'd go for it. I always muscle up the 100-200m inclines in my area instead of shifting.

But definitely not in hillier locals.

Very cool,

For this of you on 1X10 how have you solved the chain falling off on the outside?

I am on Q-rings so I think this is mostly the issue.

Just wondering if anyone had any tricks.

Great thread,

Mauroce
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My legs hurt just thinking about a 54/28 as my lowest gear.
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that it will work better for some than for others. I'd like to shed a few grams and I suppose there's some aero benefit. My chief reason (if I were to switch), is that it can be a PITA shifting chainrings at certain moments in a race. I run mechanical dura-ace, so it's not as smooth as electric. I think I'd just prefer to not have to deal with a front derailleur and get all my gearing taken care of in the rear. Less to think about and mess with during a race (as long as I can get the right gear spread).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The shorter your races and the stronger you are the more likely this is to work.

What will suck is when it doesn't work, it will be a huge pain in the ass.

Sign up for IM France, or Savageman? Race ends up having a nasty head wind? too bad.

I think a 52 front with a 32x11 cassette, 11 speed, could do pretty well almost all of the time though.

You will want a custom single speed chain ring with deeper teeth so there is less chance of chain popping off.

TriTater wrote:
I agree that it will work better for some than for others. I'd like to shed a few grams and I suppose there's some aero benefit. My chief reason (if I were to switch), is that it can be a PITA shifting chainrings at certain moments in a race. I run mechanical dura-ace, so it's not as smooth as electric. I think I'd just prefer to not have to deal with a front derailleur and get all my gearing taken care of in the rear. Less to think about and mess with during a race (as long as I can get the right gear spread).

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my front ring from Wolf Tooth Cycling (from an ST recommendation). Designed to be run as a single ring and haven't dropped a chain yet.

I think the biggest ring they make is 44t. That would work for me with 11-32 in the back. 12 speed would be ideal.

11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 28, 32.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't be a big seller in New Zealand.

My 34/25 combo on 650 wheels was barely, oh so barely, enough to get me up some hills at the end of Rotorua 1/2 IM

My 55/11 on 700 wheels also spins out from time to time.

Give me two chainrings and small gaps between cassette gears and I'm good to go

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: Why don't we go with a single chainring for tri? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funnily enough I was doing some calcs on this earlier today (not having seen this thread).
47 on the front with 11s 11-30 on the back gives you basically the same range as 53/39 x 12/25
That's plenty for NZ courses.

Then a 55 x 11/25 would be right for Tauranga.

I did try riding the IMNZ course with a single 48T fixie ring. 13 chain drops convinced me that it wasn't going to be a goer for the marvellous road surface of that race. Clutch and/or narrow/wide would be needed (I tried 5 years ago when such things were only a glimmer in a designers eye).
Quote Reply

Prev Next