Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby?
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies. I currently only have a tri bike, my beloved Trek Speed Concept 7.8. I do all of my training and racing on it. I'm currently in the market for a triathlon coach and the guy I am talking to you highly suggests that I also have a road bike to train on. He says while it is not 100% necessary training on a road bike also will make me a faster, stronger rider. What are your thoughts on this? Do most of you train on both? Of course I already started looking but not sure what my budget will allow. I'm looking at the Trek Madone and the Specialized Amira or Ruby. If any of you have the Amira, does it feel much more aggressive than the Ruby or could you have the Ruby set up to be more aggressive? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [mandy52381] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love having both a road and a tri bike. I've been on a trek madone for years and this year am building up an amira. I can't speak about the ruby, I've never been on one.
Loved my madone. It's likely I'll set up the amira with the same position. I can't really speak on the amira either as it currently has no wheels or components (I bought the frameset).
I'm not sure if the bike itself has anything to do with my riding speed or power, but it has allowed me to be more comfortable riding in group workouts. Riding in a group that is faster than me, trying to hang on for dear life, now THAT has made me a much stronger rider. The road bike is indeed more agile than the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+++! on Determinations' comments. Riding in a group dynamic will challenge you in a way that mono-speed endurance time-trialling doesn't. I am a better rider because I rode to hang on for dear life, made my eyes bleed, etc. I always remember how I felt that first day I didn't get dropped, or at least got dropped further on than usual. hahaha.

Another skill-set of handling skills and self-awareness comes with group riding, regardless of overall speed.

100% necessary? Maybe not, but it depends on where you are in your competitive life, and how you use the bike in it. Your coach may have a specific goal for you that the road bike, as a tool to accomplish that goal.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [mandy52381] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus heaps on that!!

I'd probably do about 50/50 training on road/tri bike

I have a Ruby and I love it. I particularly love taking it on long rides out in the country, up and down mountains, through valleys, along roads I've never been on to places I never knew existed. I love it because it puts memories in my head and grunt in my legs. I haven't ridden the Amira so can't comment on the geometry but I like having a road bike for long enjoyable days on the road doing non tri training riding.

I also do my fair share of hangin' with the boys in the bunch and it's pretty sweet for that as well.

Get one, regardless of what you get.
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for you input!
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple of comments on the Ruby vs the Amira, I sell both. The Ruby is a more relaxed ride, the Amira is a more aggressive bike. As someone posted in your thread in the main forum, go to a shop and let them fit you on a bike, depending on your physical characteristics you may be better on one or the other. I will say that most women I fit end up on the Ruby, also the more relaxed fit, in my eyes, makes it a better bike for a group ride situation especially if you are new to group rides.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what everyone else said. I love my road bike and ride it as much as my tri bike. I feel safer on it in new areas and it's just more fun when riding with people.

I thought I wanted a Madone, but ended up with the Domane. it's not as agresive as the Madone. Just thought I'd throw that out because the differences are similar to the differences between ruby/amira, in case you want to stay with trek (I have a speed concept & Domane)
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [GhiaGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if you can get a Domane or Ruby bike and have it set up to more agressive? I'm asking in case I find a decent deal on one of those models or even a used bike for that matter. I would rather not be limited if it makes more sense finanically. I "think" I remember the girl at one of the LBS saying that you can have either bike frame set up to more more or less aggressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, I second what everyone has already said about having a road bike. You can do group rides and hard intervals much more easily on a road bike than a tri bike. It is also so much fun to just go exploring on a road bike.

Second, I have to ask you what you mean when you say you want an "aggressive" bike. The term "aggressive" can mean many, many different things - from how the bike handles, to its geometry, to how a rider is fit/positioned on the bike. So if you could be more specific about what it is that you want from your bike, we might be able to help abit more with the selection. I will tell you that most people who come from a tri background, who ride tri bikes, would not be happy riding an aggressive road bike because it typically means a very quick handling bike that is very maneuverable and ideal for crit racing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an S-Works Amira (2011) and it is amazing to ride. Climbing is a breeze and handling is terrific. My tri bike is a Shiv (2013) and I also ride a Cannondale CAAD 8 when I go to visit my parents at Christmas time. My favorite of the three is definitely the Amira. I've tried my training buddy's Roubaix (men's equivalent of the Ruby) and it felt really odd.

Having said that, I think the main reason why the Amira feels like part of me when I ride is that it fits perfectly. So regardless of what you get, make sure you get a bike fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Having a road bike good idea? Madone/Amira/Ruby? [3xsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my Madone and race on a SC..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think the having a road bike in and of itself will make you a faster, stronger rider. Training more (and/or smarter) will do that. Now, if getting a road bike makes more inclined to do that...then, sure. But the road bike itself doesn't.

That being said, I love my road bikes. My tri bike is my dedicated trainer bike--I only ride it outside for races. All my outdoor training is done on my road bike, cx, or MTBs. I get bored riding the same thing every day :D

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply