Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chafing from clothing during marathon
Quote | Reply
During my marathon training, I discovered that my clothing doesn't cut it. I am getting chafing from my pants! When I go swimming after running or shower, I practically want to scream from the pain of the abraded areas. I'm definitely not wearing my SkirtSports "Marathon Girl" skirt, which resulted in chafing between my thighs that eventually scarred my skin after less than an hour on the treadmill.

I've been wearing underwear. Is that a mistake?

I will try to Body Glide myself up, but it would be nice to have clothing that doesn't abrade me in the first place during a 2.5 hour run (the longest I will run in practice).

What do you wear (style, brand) that works for you? I am expecting around 16C weather for the marathon itself.
Last edited by: karencoutts: Feb 25, 14 0:09
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [karencoutts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's trial and error to find the clothing that works for you, your body shape, size etc.

Personally, I love running distance in my Ronhill Skort but I also have some things that work for me (Pearl Izumi shorts) and some that don't (2XU shorts).

The one thing I swear by is Lanacane Anti Friction gel. Groin, back of the armpits & a contact lens case of it in the pocket for unexpected bits that show up a couple of hours in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditch the undies for starters.

Where are you getting the chafing? If thighs, I've found snug, compression type (but not as tight) shorts at least 6" inseam eliminate chafing there. Gusseted crotch is better than seam in the crotch.

Butt crack? Only thing I've found helps there is gooping up.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chafing? Something is cutting it. There is nothing wrong with going commando so drop the panties. As mentioned previously, clothing is all about trial and error. Buy different pieces from various brands to find what works best for you then stick with them. For me, Bodyglide is a waste of money so I use personal gel. Platinum Wet is my favorite and works well on my feet.
I wear nearly every brand on the market without a problem other than the fit. My favorites are Desoto, The North Face and Zobha.

Quote | Reply
I'm with you on the Skirt Sports! I got chafing on my hooha wearing that and had to walk back to my car in tears.

For me, I use SportsShield in the creases. It only comes off with soap and water so if you go to the bathroom it won't come off when you wipe. It also doesn't absorb into your skin or the clothes.

I always run in compression shorts. I like 5 - 7" with some support. Grippy tape on the inside of the leg seam that keep in in place is ideal. No chamois!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trial and error is correct, but, I have to apply bodyglide all over the place. Armpits, bum, leg creases.
I do know a couple of folks who wear undies... but they are non-cotton wicking type. I'm one of those if I'm wearing tights. Plus it's an extra layer on my bum - which tends to get cold (this winter has been very cold and I run almost 100% outside), so it helps with that. I found the seams on the tights bother me, even if gusseted.
Do you use some type of anti-chafe lubricant stuff like the other ladies mentioned? I'd start there for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vaseline works too. My annoying spots tend to be from sports bras, in the front where a HRM would go...

I've discovered that everything chafes if worn for long enough, unfortunately. Thus the vaseline. That said, I would write the company a letter about that skirt!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the helpful suggestions!

I probably *should* write to SkirtSports. Why would they call it Marathon Girl if it's not suitable for marathons? Or maybe they should call it "Thigh Gap Marathon Girl" because that is who it would work for. It's a skirt attached to a pair of briefs. Cute as hell, but not meant for long distance running.

Did some research today on compression shorts, thanks for the suggestion! I looked into 2XU, CW-U (?), Under Armour. Although I know that they don't help much with performance, I want the anti-chafing tightness, but worry about leg bulge. I worry about sizing, since I have a post-baby waist of 29, and hips of 35, I fall into the ether world of athletic mothers that has no place wearing compression stuff.

I was hoping it would just be a problem with the clothing, but sigh, to hear that any clothes will chafe given enough time, then I do need to look at some sort of skin protector. I looked into the suggestion of the Lanacaine (Walmart online! $9.34 for 28g, not bad) and Bag Balm (just for men? At Lee Valley online for $12 for the green tin), and last but not least, BodyGlide.

Tried going commando today with some bib tights, but too many seams and too loose around my crotch. I am thoroughly annoyed that I have to spend even more money on my marathon dream for wicking underwear or BodyGlide or compression shorts. I thought I was done with the spending!
Last edited by: karencoutts: May 24, 23 11:00
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [blackthugcat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is so clever, using a contact lens case to contain the cream when you run.
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the chafing in different places depending on how ill fitting my clothes are. Lately I've been running in the rain and snow. So that makes it worse.

Chafing is on the crease between my bum and back of my upper leg, if I had a crease there, near the inside. Another spot is my hooha (hahaha!). And whoopie doo, I have an infected super painful bump where my underwear rubs my skin where my pubic area meets my leg in the front. Not sure how to deal with THAT lovely thing.

Seems if I can get my pants to fit me properly and lie against my skin instead of loosely rubbing it, that might be the solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [travelmama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My best fitting clothing is my Sugoi tri suit. No extra space down there. Maybe I need to buy smaller pants.
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any particular brand, style of compression shorts that aren't too hot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
That is so clever, using a contact lens case to contain the cream when you run.

Lanacane in the left eye, sunblock in the right eye:-)

Along with the panadol & no-doze in the zip up wrist sweat band, it gets me through an IM travelling pretty light.
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not using any lubricant at all. The first time I got chafing, I chalked it up to ill fitting pants (they were). The second time, to ill fitting underwear. Next time I'm going to try tight fitting with some kind of skin protectant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and no undies. the undies have to go

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I probably *should* write to SkirtSports. Why would they call it Marathon Girl if it's not suitable for marathons? Or maybe they should call it "Thigh Gap Marathon Girl" because that is who it would work for. It's a skirt attached to a pair of briefs. Cute as hell, but not meant for long distance running.

I have a drawer full of tights left over from my ice skating years -- I like to wear capris under run skirts + briefs (just like under skating dresses and leotards). Not too hot, and no chafing, and I get a lot of compliments at races when I wear them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For running I wear a pair of moving comfort compression type shorts that don't compress too tightly (never wear underwear with them). I also have a variety of running skirts that have compression shorts attached and some have leg grippers so the shorts don't ride up. The skirtsports styles are cute but are made for people who never have thigh chafe issues!! Take a look in the title 9 catalog they might have something that works. The money is well spent when you find the shorts that work for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:

Erhm, this is actually exactly what I wear for all of my long distance (30km+) running. Not SkirtSports (way too pricey for me), but a New Balance version of the same thing. BodyGlide between the legs does just fine; I'm far from having a thigh gap, but I've never even had to re-apply during a 6-hour or 50k.

karencoutts wrote:
Bag Balm (just for men? At Lee Valley online for $12 for the green tin)

Actually "just for cows" - it was originally formulated for cow udders. It may well work, but I find it doesn't wash out of clothing as it's a lanolin base.

karencoutts wrote:
Tried going commando today with some bib tights, but too many seams and too lose around my crotch. I am thoroughly annoyed that I have to spend even more money on my marathon dream for wicking underwear or BodyGlide or compression shorts. I thought I was done with the spending!

At $7 or less for a small stick, try the BodyGlide first. I have trouble with tights bagging around the crotch area, too, causing chafing of the nethers & that weird between-the-bottom-of-the-cheeks area, but the 'Glide usually does the trick.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Okay, thanks again all, for the advice. Here's what I've done so far:

1. No undies (thanks, Tri3);
2. Bought Zoot Ultra Run Thermo Compression Tights (because that was what was on sale);
3 Bought Lanacaine Anti-Chafe (which I bought before MistressK's advice was received on just getting BodyGlide!); and
4. Will wear the capri with skirt combination (thanks, Gee)

The tights will be too hot for the actual marathon. I may experiment with the Skirt Sports and the anti-chafing stuff on one of my longer runs. Sorry to make fun of the skirt/brief combination (Sorry Mistressk!). There's nothing wrong with having a thigh gap; it's just that I don't have one! I bought four Skirt Sports configurations for $15-20 a pop when Skirt Sports was fairly new and they had clearance sales for rock bottom prices.

I'll look into getting those shorts as suggested by Ironmom1 for the marathon itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karencoutts wrote:
Okay, thanks again all, for the advice. Here's what I've done so far:

1. No undies (thanks, Tri3);
2. Bought Zoot Ultra Run Thermo Compression Tights (because that was what was on sale);

I wear my Zoot Ultra tri shorts under my running shorts. That works for chafe for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How is it working out so far?
I'm sure you'll find the right combo for you! We all went through this trial and error baloney. I am not sure how many races it took me to realize I had to apply the bodyglide to my arm pits too.... I kept feeling like I had a sunburn the day after a race in my arm pits.. then I figured it out! LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't gone for a long run since the changes to my clothes. Tapering for a triathlon this weekend, well, more like draping myself on various surfaces around the house. After my next long run, I'll report back!
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bag Balm is way cheaper if you have a farm/ranch supply store. Quilters use it, too...for hand quilting and sore fingers...and it costs a bunch for a tiny tin, but way cheaper in the larger tins at a farm supply store. Same stuff. But yeah, I don't think I'd want it on my tech clothes.

I use Sportshield with good results. No thigh gap here.
and I run in skirts, including the SkirtSports. Though, the semi-mesh stuff they use(d)? for their liners is a bit more rough than some of the other athletic skirts. My other skirts are from Zoot, Brooks, and ...I think the other favorite is also Brooks.
Quote Reply
Re: Chafing from clothing during marathon [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
The Bag Balm is way cheaper if you have a farm/ranch supply store. Quilters use it, too...for hand quilting and sore fingers...and it costs a bunch for a tiny tin, but way cheaper in the larger tins at a farm supply store. Same stuff. But yeah, I don't think I'd want it on my tech clothes.

I bought a decent-sized tin (call it a 4" cube) from Tractor Supply Co. for about $12, but it was really a waste of money since I only used it a couple of times before I realised it doesn't wash out.

On the bright (?) side, I have one set of cycling bibs with which I don't have to use chamois creme, since 2 years later they still ooze Bag Balm every time I wear them..

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
LOL, MistressK!

yeah...I don't use the bag balm for anything other than my fingers when I am hand quilting.

in other news, did my first long (32 miles) ride of the season outside the other day and didn't lube, and ...ow.
Quote Reply

Prev Next