Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow.
Quote | Reply
I've been doing these triathlons for ooooh-gobs of years. Since the early 90s, anyway. I lovelovelove to do them. I've done a bunch of marathons & half marathons over the years, hundreds of road races of varying distances, another ooooh-gobs of sprint tris, etc. I'm old and tall and big and by now, at 62, pretty much fighting my age and my body, but still having a blast doing my thing. DNF'd Arizona last year, trying again this year. Got some pretty schwaggy gear after all these years.

The thing of it is, hell, I'm learning to run with a cane. It's a pink cane, but it's a cane. Ha! I'm finding that the older I get, and the slower I get, and the rowdier I get as the years pile on, I'm just hanging on by a thread at the BOP. You know the big bus at the Disney marathon that sweeps everyone behind the balloon-people? Yeah, I fight the bus. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to say, to all the slow and old and big people like me, that the Zen of the thing that works for me is finding the place where it's all just okay to be who I am. I mean, people come up to me at the finish line and say "Hey, I just want to shake your hand!", and what they're really saying is "I can't believe someone as old and big as you are is still doing this sh*t." And they don't mean anything mean by it, so you smile and say "Hey, you can do it too, y'know?"

Just FWIW. There's a place in the world of triathlon for us, too, y'know? You just have to duck when the assholes try to smack you with their ... well ... asshole-ness. I've never really found a good approach to dealing with people who need you to know that they're better than you could ever hope to be.

Have a great day.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this! Thanks for the refreshing way of looking at things - I started out just wanting to have fun and get in shape, but somewhere along the way I started getting a little down on myself because I'm not faster. When I come back from my current injury, hopefully I can start off with a grateful spirit and appreciate that I can even be out there.

Take care,
Diane
Quote Reply
Re: Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You rock !

There is (or should be …) a place in triathlon for EVERYONE who puts in a solid effort and wants to participate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just high five'd the screen you go sister.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right on!! :)

Forward is a pace!
I get to represent Betty Designs for the 2014 season
http://www.bettydesigns.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 100% with you on that. Although I'm not doing triathlons anymore, I was always slow and was very ok with my slowness. I started swim/bike/run in mid mid-30's after 2 kids. Before starting, I had always been active, but never swim/bike/run, so I was a newbie at all of the disciplines. Given that, I never beat myself up about how slow I was. I was just happy I was putting one foot in front of the other. I'm not really a Type A athlete, so it was no big deal to me. I was working hard and in shape, so that's all that mattered. I always figured I'd get faster over time, but then I stopping tri training and found other interests. I now do kickboxing and the occasional run and still happy with it all.

There's way too many things to get stressed about in life. Unless you are a pro athlete, how fast you are shouldn't be one of those things that adds to your stress. If you are out there doing your thing, then you are helping yourself live a healthy, active life and that should be enough to make you happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep at it. You're way tougher than I am.

And screw the assholes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People always remember the slow folks and get inspired by them more than the fast folks. No matter what ones speed is, if they do not enjoy what they are doing, it is time to quit.

Quote | Reply
"I'm finding that the older I get, and the slower I get,"

But aren't we getting so much wiser as we age? :-)

I've seen a huge drop also just in the past five years . But when most of your peers are on walkers or can't jog half a mile and you are still chugging along but even at a much slower place than yesteryear there is nothing to feel bad about when you keep it in perspective.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I mean, people come up to me at the finish line and say "Hey, I just want to shake your hand!", and what they're really saying is "I can't believe someone as old and big as you are is still doing this sh*t."

I would want to shake your hand out of a wow, I want to introduce myself and find out what your secret is to still being able to do it at 62.
I'd also like a running-with-cane lesson. Intrigued.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for the kind words. I realize how easy it is to make fun of the geek in the crowd. May the Peaceful Tribe always have such a big heart. :)

~~ kate

ps ~~ running with a cane's not so tough. You just have to synchronize the foot-fall with the arm-swing and the thump-thump. :)
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Feb 13, 14 2:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are AWESOME!
I work with a lot of people who are in so much worse shape at that age than you are. Most folks I know say "the only place I run is to the bathroom".
You keep on keepin' on. I hope to be still doing this when I'm retired.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow. [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I admire your longevity. I have been doing tri's for at least 20 years now. My speed has been up/down over the years. I have to work really hard to maintain speed now, body composition is a struggle at times and I have to work to maintain strength. However, though I love training and love the lifestyle so I just go with it. I think when you embrace the lifestyle of triathlons and don't focus as much on "being fast" you have longevity. You are a life-long athlete then instead of IM being on your "bucket list" or being a short term project. I think the a$$holes out there and the jerks, ego-maniacs are short timers and won't last long. Also, it takes character to continue training despite ups/downs/injuries, age, etc. and I really respect someone who is out on the course a long time, just gets out there are trains, is older but still finishes with a smile on their face. I would never shake the hand of one of the ego-maniacs who finishes first and is a jerk, however, I would shake your hand! Keep it up!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great attitude. Sounds like you are still having fun.

I used to be somewhat fast, but got really sick a few years back and have some lung issues so now I am learning what it is like to be MOP. I still do it because I like to exercise but sometimes it is hard to accept I will not be fast again. I enjoyed the perspective from your post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep, you rock!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love your post.

I can see completely how the "can I shake your hand" irritates you. They mean well by admiring you because you don't fit the stereotype of the young, small, triathlete woman. On the other hand, it's obnoxious because they are making a judgement about your ability as an athlete based only on your looks, whereas they should be looking at your 30 years of finishes.

The whole "wow, if you can do it, ______ (insert, my grandma, your mom, me, my brother, anybody!) can do it!" kind of motivation is really great... but I find that's it's kind of disingenuous, because not everyone CAN do it. Not like you do. Not everyone can finish races for years and years. Not everyone can finish with a smile. Not everyone can love racing after so many years.

The next time someone wants to shake your hand... maybe you should say you charge $20 per handshake because your mojo ain't free!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, let me give you a woohoo! I love that people of all abilities can be included in this sport, and in running. Heck, I'm right there with you, with my last IM at a lovely 16:55 and my last two Disney marathons at 6:58 and 6:53.

And I understand what you are feeling, wondering if people have some alternate meaning behind their words of praise for you. At my last IM, when people told me, "you're amazing!" in my head, I was thinking, 'yeah, amazing I'm still here and didn't give up.'

BUT....how is receiving kudos from people at the finish line any different in the womens here giving you high fives after hearing your story? I agree with another poster...it is the people overcoming that stick with us and inspire us so much, so maybe the people who comment at the finish line are genuinely impressed, ya know?
Just like I am, and the other posters on this thread!

Keep up the good work and I hope you kick IMAZ's butt this year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am trying to be more like you and Kat_Kong, so I appreciate the post. Like you, I love doing triathlons. Been doing them since 2000. I had healthy knees when I started, and a good circulatory system. Then my body started turning on me, and where I used to be fairly competitive in local races and front of mid-pack in larger regional and national/international races, my days of finishing before the start of the awards ceremony are behind me.

There are lots of people on the main forum who accuse us of taking entry spots away from "real triathletes" and suggest that if we aren't racing for the podium, we don't belong in the race. Sometimes those people get inside my head, because I AM a competitive person, and I do feel silly when I watch people running away from me as I shuffle/walk along. Sometimes I am able to convince myself that I belong out there as much as anyone else -- if I pay my entry fee and do my training, I have every right to be out there on the course as the people with healthy bodies. But it IS tough. I'm not sure that other people think they're better than us so much as they don't understand us.

I just wish I could wear a tri jersey that says, "I love this sport, and I'm going as fast as my body will allow. One day you will understand."
Quote Reply
Re: Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow. [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and a woohoo to you, too, Eileen....awesome! I totally get it. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reminder. Since I'm currently baking number 3 & stewing a little at missing this tri season, I needed it. Though I only have 1 finish to my credit, I hope at some point to be able to look back as you are.
Quote Reply
Re: Keep Trying To Convince Myself That It's Okay to be Slow. [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sometimes I am able to convince myself that I belong out there as much as anyone else

You do belong out there as much as anyone. Don't listen to that drivel about someone being more deserving of a spot. If they want in a race that is limited in number then they can get off their ass and promptly register like everyone else. If they want special consideration for a race, they should turn pro.

Now get out there and register for a race!! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is AWESOME!!! THANK YOU for posting!!!!!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One of my favorite people shuffling along on his stiff slow bow legs down in the Cleveland metroparks is this old guy with a T-shirt on the back of which he's handwritten in magic marker: "Yeah, I'm 86. I'm old. I'm slow. I'm out here. What's YOUR excuse?"

I think he's 89 now. My hero.

Keep on truckin.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine has taken up bike racing at 50+ years of age. He says "I'm just an old guy taking a shot". My response was that you're old when you stop taking your shot.
Quote Reply