Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [aimee7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for reference My stem was in position #1, this position is the one where my lower back hurt for every ride over 2:30. Just moved the stem to #3 - rode today and my back felt great no problems whatsoever. I'm debating whether #2 will work better it's still more aggressive than #3.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to balance aero with race distance. I primarily do sprints so comfort is less important.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Member of FishTwitch - Arriving to T1 alone and watching you go by on the run.
My Blog: http://poseidom.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't make multiple changes at the same time when trying to solve fit problems. then you won't know what helped and what did not. ride for a week or so with stem set at #3. if pain doesn't return move seat forward 1cm and raise it .5cm. ride for a week. still feel good? try stem set #2 for a week. if back pain doesn't return try the seat forward another cm and up a bit. somewhere along the way you can check your elbow pads. those profile pads have multiple holes to adjust fore/aft. position them as far back as you can and move the extensions back the same amount. if any change results in more back pain go back to previous setting. it sounds like this will work out if you're patient and take it one step at a time.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [andrew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense to me, glad to find a position that works for my back after spending so much on my bike! I think the small is the right size too, idiots at the bike shop just didn't want to work with the spacers for some reason and kept moving my seat back and forth instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Beauty!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which saddle bags do you guys use? I have my seat (fizik arione) on the -21 offset and slammed forward. I find that none of my saddle bags have enough strap to attatch to the seat. There isn't enough room to shove a spare tube under the seat.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [bornaero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bornaero wrote:
Which saddle bags do you guys use? I have my seat (fizik arione) on the -21 offset and slammed forward. I find that none of my saddle bags have enough strap to attatch to the seat. There isn't enough room to shove a spare tube under the seat.

No bag. Torhans frame VR aero bottle cut down and tube etc in there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a TM-01/Ultegra Mechanical as well. Here are my initial impressions:

Building this was incredibly difficult.
- First off, how the heck did you get that cover that goes over the front fork/head tube area around those cables? It seems to me that the only way to get the cables flexy enough is to upgrade to Nokon or Alligator or the new Jagwire.
- Secondly, I totally agree on the brakes. The front noodle was so dang tight. With the rear brakes, you have to remove the crankset to adjust the pads; let me say that again-you have to remove the GD crank to adjust the brakes! Thank goodness for Hollowtech cranks & how easy they are to remove. Regarding cable adjusters, they are a must or use a brake lever like the the Bontrager Race XXX Lite which has a built-in cable adjuster and a return spring.
- Thirdly, dialing in the dropouts is a PIA. On the first ride the wheel shifted to one side and was rubbing the whole time. I couldn't figure out why it took so much effort when out of the saddle. The fix was putting the dropouts in the minimum position, flush with the frame. Of course, this required re-aligning the brake pads, which meant removing the crank...(see #2)
- Finally, figuring out the friggin stem configurations was like doing origami. In the end, I appreciate the flexibility but, wow!
I spent 4 long nights putting this rig together.

11-speed/10-speed
This is a 2014 that came with 11-speed. My "stable" of bikes and bike crap, er, components, are a mix of 9- and 10-speed and I have a lot of $ invested in 10-speed cassettes and wheels. I like being able to swap components among the bikes so I wanted to convert this bike to 10 speed. To this end-I swapped the shifters for SRAM 10-speed and put on wheels with 10-speed cassettes. Meanwhile, kept the 11-speed front&rear derailleurs and the chain. I had to reduce the width adjustment on the rear D but, remarkably, it all works pretty flawlessly and is very silent. There is only a slight skipping on the 19 tooth cog. Yeah, yeah, I'll replace the chain with a 10-speed but I am amazed that it works at all in the first place. I also think the "big 3"-Shimano, Campy, SRAM, create artificial reasons to upgrade and make a big deal out of non-backwards-compatibility.

But it looks Cool!
This all said, at the risk of getting flamed, how f'ing cool does this bike look? Even though the design is in it's 3rd year it is still stunning.
It also feels very fast; it gives an effortless sensation of speed and is plenty stiff in the rear end for climbing.
I was riding with a friend this past weekend; he was on a Cervelo P2. He weighs 15 lbs more. We were going down a hill; I was coasting while he was continuing to pedal. We were at the same rate of speed. Wow.
The one irritant though-around 25 mph, it creates a whistling noise; have any of you experienced that?

Weight
8460 grams/18lb 10oz with Hed Jet 50 wheels (and the rear water bottle holder w/o the gear bag)
8700 grams/19lb 3oz with Hed Jet 60/90 wheels (")

Have a look:

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great build!

No whistling here. Just go faster :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
The one irritant though-around 25 mph, it creates a whistling noise; have any of you experienced that?

Happens on mine too. I noticed the other day there's a second hole right by the stem located on the head tube of the bike. I'm assuming that it is for Di2 since all the TM01 frames are set for both Di2 and mechanical. I put electrical tape over the hole and now there's no more whistle. I'll try to get a pic up if that explanation seems confusing at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [subydude88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@subydude88-that would be sweet if you could put a pic up!
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, looks awesome! I am a new owner as well but I had bike shop do the build, it is mechanical 10sp DA. Regarding the cover you talk about, I will have pictures when I get home in 5 days, I have Brezza II, the shop left my 10mm pedestal for arm pads, that elevated pads higher and the extensions where cables exit, also, my extensions go further back and all this together makes a lot of bending in the cables so with intended openings in the stem for cables, shifting quality was poor. We opted for now to route the cables in a way to be able to cover them but hey had to cut a piece of cover off.......Pictures will show this way better.
I hope to drop pads lower, move extensions a bit forward and be able to use the intended holes for cable routing. Again will post pictures and have you all chime in with suggestions.
Love the bike, agree with all you described, I came off 2008 E112.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[/url][/img]

Here's the pic. Sorry about the poor lighting and the flash. After looking at it more and more it looks like the hole is for the rear brake cable; on the other side I have the front cable. Who knows you can kinda see in the pic that I just have the rear brake cable going through the cover then down the down tube. Either way thats where I think the whistle comes from regardless of having cables in both of the holes or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The hole is for the front brake. For those who prefer having their front brake on the right (motorcycle riders and Brits).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You rock! Thanks for supplying the pic and clarifying. Strip of electric tape is now applied; can't wait to see if this solved it!
Thanks again.
Man, it takes a village to figure this stuff out, doesn't it?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice build. I have a TM02 and am looking to replace the stock crank with an Ultegra. What bottom bracket/adapter did you use? Any creaking issues?

Thanks!
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [rovin3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It came stock with an FSA press-fit bottom bracket and Ultegra cranks. The Ultegras are beautiful.
The crank arms are 170 though; I prefer 175's so I swapped them for 10 speed version Dura Ace cranks.
They slip right in. No noise or anything.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Km3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question to those of you that have flown with a TM01.

What case did you use, and how did much dismantling/reassembling did you do?

After building one, I really don't want to have to go through all that brake business very often...
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have flown with the TM01 using the Evoc Bike case. Removed the wheels, seatpost plus saddle and the aerobar. In the Evoc case its sufficient if the bar just hangs loose. Aerobar can be tricky if the cables are super short. Didnt tamper with the brakes at all.

Don't forget to bring a torque wrench, i forgot mine and bolted the seatpost with way to much torque, which resulted in the screw to be worn out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really nice looking bike there, love the white accents with the white HED logos.

Here's mine, recently all dressed up for IM Melbourne.
Ultegra Di2 10sp. Stock in most ways eg bars / cables / etc, Ultegra pedals.
Torhans frame bottle for concentrated nutrition, Speedfil A2 for BTA hydration, salt stick next to the bars because it wouldn't fit inside
Poly pipe-based computer mount between the bars in front of the Speedfil.
Boyd front wheel, home made disc cover on a DA 7850 rear wheel (I realise the mismatch of a $$ bike with a $50 home made disc!) with skinny light weight QR's for bling / aero
Flat kit is CO2, chuck and spare tube crammed under the seat, with the Caffe Latex on the seat post.
I've got no idea how much it weighs, but I know its not winning any weight-weenie awards.

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [OZgriffiths] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do tell how you made the custom disc wheel cover!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was pretty much the same as other folk have discussed on here, got some ABS sheeting from a local shop which cut it to the basic circle diameter and put one slit along the radius. Curve it to fit the cone shape, mark out how much of a wedge needs to be removed, then you can start cutting. Because the DA rear hubs have the lumpy flanges rather than circular, I removed bits of plastic to help it fit in closer and also stabilises the cover against rotation. What I worked out was attaching the cover sheets to the wheel while you're sorting out gluing it makes for a better and more stable fit. So just do that part one side at a time. I put little strips of off-cut plastic across the join line as reinforcement. This probably destabilises it a little, but not enough that I've noticed it. The glue is just from any big hardware store. The little gold things are post-screws, similar to the wheel-builder ones, available from craft stores, they're usually used for book binding. Double-sided tape at a few points on the rim to hold it down more securely since the shallow rim doesn't give space for any other tape. I've tried double-sided tape on the spokes and its very hit-and-miss.

I'm planning on trying to make another one from thin polypropylene sheets (can be got from craft stores, an A1 size sheet should be enough for one side of a 24-30mm deep rim) since it'll be much lighter, just will need to experiment with different glues and bonding. I'll let you know how that goes.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [OZgriffiths] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Here's its little brother ready for 2014

Last edited by: ChrisM: Mar 29, 14 18:16
Quote Reply

Prev Next