Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [xjb1058] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xjb1058 wrote:
When did you place your order for your bike? I ordered mine a few days after New Years and the store has said it's been backordered til mid-Feb....then March... then April.
I ordered mine Thanksgiving weekend. I called Specialized last week and they told me they were back ordered till March/April. I was totally surprised yesterday when I got the call.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [COJO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you unscrew the seat clamp to see this? Or is it visible just looking at the small gap between the clamp?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Jkintn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Visible while fully assembled. Just look at it from the side and if both metal nuts are at equal lengths...the your probably golden. The one on my left side was out further by about 2-3 millimeters.

"WHEW...I really regret that workout!"..............Noone
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had mine for about 6 months never had single problem with it

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [mancala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mancala wrote:
Are you pushing it until it clicks in place? When I put mine on correctly, it's normally a pain to remove. Youe will have to push the plastic tab in and pull up the fuelcell to remove it.

Maybe that's the issue. The lbs installed the fuel cell and I haven't touched it except to pick it off the road and slide it back into place. I guess it's possible that both of us didn't slide it back into place until it engaged.

Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NewbieTri100 wrote:
mancala wrote:
Are you pushing it until it clicks in place? When I put mine on correctly, it's normally a pain to remove. Youe will have to push the plastic tab in and pull up the fuelcell to remove it.

Maybe that's the issue. The lbs installed the fuel cell and I haven't touched it except to pick it off the road and slide it back into place. I guess it's possible that both of us didn't slide it back into place until it engaged.

Thank you.
My Tri OSBB frame came with the inserts allowing use of Shimano cranks. But I didn't know that until after it had arrived. I bought the Praxis adapter before it arrived. Should have it built within a week and will let you know if the D/A 9000 cranks with Stages clears the frame. :Looks like it will, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing happen with my shiv. Its quite easy to identify if you are adjusting the seat height or packing the bike etc. It should only really happen if you are doing that anyway. I sent my frame to specialized and they couldnt epoxy it so they sent me back a brand new frame. I am in Ohio so the 2 weeks it took to get my bike back is largely explained by shipping time alone and getting a 2014 frame to replace my 2012 frame is fine by me.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you get the all black frame with stickers sent to you? Did they give any word that the issue has been resolved on the newer frames?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I received a 2014 matte black with the stickers. There was confusion at my lbs and they originally thought it was the 2013 nude model. It took forever to get it, but I'm really excited that got a new frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They sent me this frame http://m.specialized.com/...d/shiv/shiv-pro-race the black matte with grey decals. I was wondering the same thing about the issue being resolved. No word on it.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would completely DIG that frame....its the shiny one that i am worried about getting.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not believe specialized has that frame in stock, that was my concern too. I got the one previously linked to. I sent my frame out mid December and got it back mid January, ~4weeks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by flatcokeboi [ In reply to ]
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool man, looking forward to your findings.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Mojoboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mojoboy wrote:
Hi guys! Just wanna ask if any of you had experience having a crack on their seatpost? I was cleaning my bike early this morning and notice a small hairline crack on the letter S logo on my seatpost dont know if its a crack on the paint or a real crack on the carbon seatpost...btw my bike is a 2013 shIv comp rival. I nevar had a crash or an accident on the bike plus i hadndle it very carefully :) i wanted to post the picture of the crack but dont know how i can post it here... thanks guys.

Anyone had cracks on their seatpost? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loutriguy wrote:
My Shiv Expert arrived today and is being put together. Going in Thursday to have it adjusted. Great news after waiting so long to get it! I was very happy when my LBS surprised me with a couple of pictures.[/img]

Congratulations, looks great!

To be honest I've never been a huge fan of the Shiv's aesthetics. That downtube always looked too broad. However, the new 2014 paintjobs really help to break up just how broad it is and makes the bike look much leaner and meaner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys, the information has been very informative.
Would I be entitled to a warranty replacement on a 2012 Specialized Shiv Pro that I bought from a bike store, used off eBay?
I've noticed that the 2 seat clamp screws are not equal but haven’t had any problems with the seat post slipping or anything. I’m afraid to even touch the screws. Thank you.

-Michael Welch My Blog
Supported by: TEAM ZOOT Swiftwick
For all your endurance shopping needs
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [in10siv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would not be covered by warranty. Specialized might still repair it for a minor repair fee if they can fix it.

I would still call the warranty department and see what they have to say.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to guarantee that you can but I'm almost certain you will in a case like this. They lifetime warranty their frames.....and it is well known about this failure....as long as you still have the SKU number which should be at the bottom of your frame to identify the frame....I see no problem. SKU is under the bottom bracket and crank. Your lbs will need that....especially since you bought it used. Mine wasn't slipping yet either.....but I wasn't going to wait....its a safety issue and specialized knows this....so they'll gladly fix or repair vs. Get into a lawsuit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an issue with a used transition that required a warrant replacement and they did replace the frame. I would take to your local bike shop. I wouldn't volunteer the information you bought it used, but I would bet they would warrant it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"its a safety issue and specialized knows this....so they'll gladly fix or repair vs. Get into a lawsuit."

I don't agree with this because the warranty is only for the original buyer.
If a 5 year old chain stay brakes or a head tube cracks due to warranty issue but you are the third owner or even second owner. This is a safety issue as well but chain stays are only warranty is only for 5 years and they have no requirement under the buyers agreement to replace it.

Do you really believe Specialized should be required to warranty a shiv 15 years from now that this problem occurs on the 5th owner of the bicycle?

I am still shocked on how many people have had this problem on this forum I still have yet to see one in person.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No..I dont believe Specialized would actually warranty this 15 years from now. The whole "useful product lifecycle" is technically what "lefetime" actually means. Shivs are in this useful lifecycle time frame. I didnt think this would have to be explained.

Also, I believe the LBS and their relationship with the Specialized rep/warranty guy will have an influence on what happens....only because I have seen this happen. Some LBS have better relationships and get more done for their customers. Of course...on paper it may say something else.

A faulty frame that allows a seat to slam down is a bit more dangerous than a chainstay going foul. And since Specialized knows this seatpost clamp is a well documented problem "because the Specialized rep told me this on the phone"...then I believe this guy has a shot at getting a repair or replacement. But he wont know unless he tries, so go for it, you got nothing to lose.

Last edited by: COJO: Feb 13, 14 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure when you rear wheel goes flying off your bike because the rear end failed you will get hurt more then your saddle slipping.

Just saying. I just am getting rubbed a little raw when people just say "Lie" to get a frame warrantied that you are really in no right obligated to.

I never said the guy should not try, I just said they do offer repair services.
Last edited by: ErikSchmidt: Feb 13, 14 10:14
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ErikSchmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're totally right on the chainstay. For some reason I was picturing chainguard. I hear what your saying about the "lie" but I really feel this is a Specialized factory fail. I just think it would be in Speshs best interest to take care of this particular problem with recently built frames. As long as there's no sign of over torqueing. Which, in my experience and research of this particular problem, spesh has been doing well.I totally agree with you about the ones who make shit up to cover their own screw ups. Cheers and good luck to all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cujo, Total agreement.
Quote Reply

Prev Next