Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST
Quote | Reply
Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying that I've got no concrete numbers/details, but it seems that women tend to prefer the two piece option for tri clothing instead of a one-piece racing suit (of course there's exceptions). Is this accurate? Is it a matter of convenience? Fit? Versatility (picking one brand for short, and a different one for the top)... I'm trying to gather some information and figured this is a good forum.

Also, with the trend we're starting to see of short sleeved options for tri tops/suits, is this something you (as a woman triathlete) see adopting? or will you continue to opt for the sleeveless options?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [AndresLD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndresLD wrote:
Hello all,

Let me preface this by saying that I've got no concrete numbers/details, but it seems that women tend to prefer the two piece option for tri clothing instead of a one-piece racing suit (of course there's exceptions). Is this accurate? Is it a matter of convenience? Fit? Versatility (picking one brand for short, and a different one for the top)... I'm trying to gather some information and figured this is a good forum.

Also, with the trend we're starting to see of short sleeved options for tri tops/suits, is this something you (as a woman triathlete) see adopting? or will you continue to opt for the sleeveless options?

Thanks!
I do two piece outfits because they are convenient, move easily with my body, are interchangeable allowing for different colors and sizes and seem to be less expensive. I am not a fan of the short sleeve top and will more than likely remain a sleeveless top wearer.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input. I have a feeling the short sleeve will be adopted more universally with the men. It seems even in cycling, during training at least, women often opt for sleeveless tops even tank/halter cycling tops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a one-piece swimsuit girl, even in a half (have not raced an IM).

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only wear one piece for races up to OD. I wear two piece for IM as one piece is too hard to get on and off. Personally I prefer sleeveless but I don wear arm coolers (during IM) for sun protection. I live in Australia so heat and the fierce sun are always a factor. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two piece. Fit, for one. Comfort, is another. Lastly, I think tri suits are universally unflattering.

No sleeves.

And, fwiw, if you're soliciting opinions, make some tri shorts with 4" inseams or less. I hate long inseams on shorts (5.5" or more)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to love a one-piece for sprints and Olympics, but definitely prefer a two-piece for HIM and full IM. These days I prefer a two-piece with a short/sport bra length top for short races and a two-piece with a longer top (for the back pockets for supplements) for a HIM or full IM, and if I get hot on the run with the longer top I can roll it up. I think that two-pieces are more convenient if you need to hit the port-a-john, it's easier to get a good fit for women who aren't the same size on top and bottom, and I just feel cooler in two-pieces versus a one-piece since I can expose my midriff if I get hot. I do almost all my cycling training in a cycling kit, not a tri kit, unless I'm doing a short brick or leading up to an IM to make sure I'm training in what I'm going to race in, but I don't see me liking racing tris in a short sleeve top. Finally no, I don't wear a different brand on top than on bottom … that's just wrong! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one piece for sprint and oly
2 piece for HIM (no IM yet)
only cycling kits for biking so not sleeveless
tri kit will remain sleeveless
lately mostly wearing 2 piece because my team kit one piece fits so horribly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see myself ever wearing a tri kit that has sleeves. I will go with bare arms - although I could see the benefit. I tend to chafe in the armpit/lat area. Fabric there might alleviate that.

Two piece all the way. Easier for bathroom breaks, even if it's just before or after the race as in short races. I have worn a different brand top vs. bottom, if I do, the bottoms are plain solid color.
I'll train in cycling kit or tri kit, depends on the day, and the workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One piece for sprints and OD, particularly if not wetsuit legal. Prefer those with zip in back, and no shelf bra/built in support.

Two piece for HIM and IM. I actually have been on the hunt for a sleeved top; DeSoto is in the only I've seen to date.

Would also like to see sleeveless tops that go to edge of shoulder and are not cut like a sport bra.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally two piece for me as far as racing. I don't usually race short distances, and for longer distances it's more comfortable, and takes less time if I need to stop at the portapotty.
I have not worn sleeves, mainly because I live in TX and it's hot. But w the new technical material that is cooler, and the threat of sun damage, I've been looking into a top w/ sleeves to try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add me to the two-piece camp. I do mostly longer races, so it's mostly convenience, with some fit considerations thrown in. (I also don't think one-piece suits look that great.)

I'd be open to a short-sleeved option, mostly for sun-protection. When I'm training I tend to opt for short-sleeved over sleeveless (well, it's the Pacific Northwest, so that's because it's rarely warm enough for either option. :-P) What I'd really like to see if more companies offer a "shrug" style option like DeSoto's skin cooler sleeves. Their design doesn't fit me very well, but it would be great to have removable shoulder covering.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [mdraegerpnw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for responding... the more feedback, the better. As I expected, there's really no consensus. How much does the actual aesthetics (color/design) play into it? For example, if you tend to wear a 2 piece, would you consider a 1 piece if you liked the look of it and it fit well? Or is that almost secondary? so if you don't wear 2 pieces, you don't wear 2 pieces, period?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do mostly shorter tris and prefer a one peice.

I cut out the built in bras b/c they rarely offer good enough support for running so would prefer one piece with no shelf bra.

Am making the leap to longer tris (half IM) and will likely look for two peice for potty breaks.

Due to sun control concerns, I would definitely look at a long sleeve that offered sun protection and was cool in the heat. However, it would be a top I would throw on after the swim. I prefer to swim in a top that has no sleeves.

Aesthetics do influence my choice - I am more likely to buy/splurge on something that is well styled.

For training, I use traditional swim suit, traditional road kit to ride and run in running gear. I do prefer to ride in short sleeves despite the tan lines but that is because I come from a road racing background.

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit first, looks second. Unless it looks really ugly, then it's a non-starter.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Fit first, looks second. Unless it looks really ugly, then it's a non-starter.

^^ This.

I've always worn two-piece. I tend to wear a medium top for comfort and a small bottom. I also don't have the right body type for a one piece. I know what I look good in and stick with that.

It also allows me to mix brands. I have yet to find one that has the perfect shorts and the perfect top. I always wear black shorts. Some days the body doesn't cooperate and that's easier to hide with black shorts. I'll let you decide what that means.

Always a colored top. I tend to spill and get dirty and white is a complete disaster on me for long races. I have no idea why but I always end up with gel, coke, gatorade, something spilled down the front.

Sleeveless always. I'll wear arm warmers if it's chilly. I like to have full range of motion in my arms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the fit is crucial and performance - a one piece that is compressing in the right places.... It cannot be butt ugly with hideous color palette but barring that don't care. However am now on a team so not much say....
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would wear a sleeveless one-piece if I could find one that fits right and looks good. I like the feel of having no waistband, especially when bent over in aero on the bike. However, it's tough to find a one-piece that fits well on both top and bottom. I'm 5'6", 135ish (less during the season). My problem is that I am top heavy, so I can fit into smaller shorts, but most tops either have that stupid built-in sports bra that does nothing for me, or they don't cover enough across the chest to cover my sports bra, or my chest takes up so much of the material that the top ends up looking too short and riding up to show my stomach (but only in the front).

In short, if you can design a one-piece that looks good and has enough coverage for someone with big boobs and a small butt, I'm all for it! Haha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear a one piece. So far I've been doing short course. Considering 2 piece this year because I'm gearing up for a 70.3. I like the comfort (e.g. no waistband) of the one piece, and not having to worry about things riding down or up. I don't bother with a bra underneath. Those who use 2 piece for long events, when you say 'convenience' is this for potty breaks or something else I'm not considering? I'll admit it -- I won't buy a suit that I don't like the look of. But poor fit, comfort, or quality is a deal breaker even if it looks great. A big thing for me is the chamois... I want something thin, and high quality (I prefer something more than a piece of fleece). Love the elite Louis Garneau one.

Edited to add that I would definitely consider some kind of Castelli body paint type shirt for the bike, provided it doesn't take too long to put on after the swim or take off after the bike -- and that it's comfortable (not constricting or too hot). I may be in the minority, but I can't stand tri shorts/suits that are short in the leg. I much prefer a long short. My suit goes almost to my knees.
Last edited by: surroundhound: Jan 25, 14 6:16
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tri3 - Is there a reason why you didn't buy the De Soto Sleeved Jersey?

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I'm injured and all my tri clothing purchases are on hold.

Last edited by: Tri3: Jan 26, 14 5:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two piece always - I don't want to have to strip down to use the bathroom in a long course race and those one size fit all one-piece outfits rarely fit well on top AND the bottom.
Sleeves always. There is no cooling effect of bare skin when its' 100F and 80% humidity - sun coverage is priority one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 piece, easier for pre-race potty, more pockets in the tri shirt. Sleeveless usually but I am wary of the sun, I would consider a sleeve with spf 50 fabric that is tight fitting like a cycling race jersey, no band around the arm, that would drive me nuts.

Quote Reply
Re: Race Clothing Question for the Women of ST [jl2732] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try the DeSoto one piece - they fit AWESOME
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One piece for oly's and sprints. 2 piece for 70.3 and IM distance and definitely prefer sleeves, sleeveless makes for a bad sunburn on the longer distances on my fair Scandinavian skin. I have the de soto tri top with sleeves and really like it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next