Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the wimmens are doing well and YAY for a Monday holiday in the US!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this coming week:
4 bike rides even if they are short
20k swim
no food issues!
I had a sort-of emergency wisdom tooth extraction on Friday morning that messed with training. I had wisdom tooth pain from the start of the week, and I went to the dentist Thurs. afternoon. He had an opening Friday morning so I jumped at the, uh, "opportunity." Took Saturday off entirely, kept Sunday's run easy (no trouble there), got back in the pool this morning for a short bit.
Food stuff was okay. I'm having lots of anxiety around it. I didn't have any big binges but there was definitely some emotional eating ... I'll give myself 5.5 out of 7 there. I'm also half-pleased to say that I have not lost any weight since Friday as a result of the teeth. It would be pretty easy to use it as an excuse not to eat, but I know if I do that I'll wind up bingeing later, will sacrifice workout quality etc. Keep reminding self that the goal is to get FASTER not thinner. Anyway, I have been doing a kickass job of devouring soft foods.

Goals for this coming week = PR in the 1000 yd free (meet Saturday), focus on run SPEED not volume, bike 4x. Not binge :-)

Workouts
M - 4.5 mi run + 3000 yd swim + 6 mi bike
T - 9.5 mi run* + 4000 yd swim
W - 7 mi run + 2000 yd swim + 6 mi bike
T - 13.5 mi run + 1100 yd swim
F - 8 mi run + 1200 yd swim
S - off
S - 9.5 mi run + 5 mi bike + hip exercises

Totals 11,600 yd swim + 16 mi bike + 52 mi run

*12 x 400 @ 8.0, 8.2, 8.4, 8.6, 8.8, 9.0, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.8, 10.0, 9.0 mph with quarter recoveries

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd have to say a 'bad' week for me.
On Tuesday's run I must have tweaked a muscle in my right leg. Took Wed. off from running since it was a short run anyway, and got in a good swim. Thursday I tried to run again and it seemed like I wasn't making things worse, that is, until I got to the farthest point from my house on the first loop of what I had planned. Ugh.
I cut the run short. It felt like my muscle was getting tighter and tighter and it was having pain. I put on about 18 million pounds of clothes and blankets and iced my leg.
Friday is my scheduled day off so I took it, but limped around the office. Still feels like an extremely sore muscle. It's along the lateral side of my calf...
So I didn't run either of my scheduled runs on Sat. or Sun., and so far haven't today. I was going to see if I could do 2 mi without it hurting.
BUT, I scheduled a session with my miracle runner repair massage / fascial stretch guy for Wed. evening. Until then, it seems I'm in a holding pattern.
I got on the bike trainer 3 times this week and in the pool 2x.
Swimming and biking are perfectly OK, even if I bike "hard". It actually feels BETTER after a bike or swim session.

I guess the 'good news' is this week is a bit lighter week in the run training plan. So hopefully I can get back on track soon. My massage guy (specializes in injury recovery, btw) said he's been seeing a lot more of these types of little injuries this winter, more than usual.

It seems like budget cuts and extra snow have combined into poor clearing of walks and things for us runner folks.

Goal for this week: Keep good attitude and get leg fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to start off this thread on a sour note, but - I found out that my year is basically over. I need to have surgery that will have me completely non weight bearing for almost 2 months, plus another month in a boot, and it will likely be towards the end of the year before I can handle much stress on the injury. If this all works.

My ability to train has been declining, but very rapidly declining over the past two months. It's definitely time to address it, but I can't help but feel extremely depressed about what's coming. I've never been inactive for that long.

Any advice on how to deal with the mental challenges ahead? I seriously have no experience with this.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [katcycle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
katcycle, I am so sorry to hear :-(
I hope some other womens have advice on handling the mental part because I'd be freaked too.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 5: WIN with 6
Swim x 3: WIN
Bike x 2: WIN though one was just an easy spin to help my legs recover
Core/strength x 4: WIN

3-hour trail race on Saturday was a bit of a shit show - choppy, ankle-turning ice covered with deep, soft, sandy snow. A friend remarked partway through that it felt like he'd been churning butter for 2 hours with his legs, and that sounded about right. My legs held up fine and don't feel too bad, but my feet got badly beaten up and I was just plain tired toward the end. Took something like 10k effort to run at all, and close to half marathon effort just to walk through the mushy, shifting snow.

This week's goals:
Run x 5
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 4

Going to a show tonight (Reverend Horton Heat!), but back to training as usual on Tuesday.

Really sorry to hear the bad news katcycle - I hope your recovery goes well!

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. This is likely a great time to learn a new hobby or skill. Sewing, knitting, crochet? Scrapbooking? Cooking class for healthy meals or Asian or Italian??? Photography class? Painting class? Ceramics? Even if you don't feel like you have 'creative skill', these types of things can still be really enjoyable.
Woodworking? Learn home repairs?
If I had what you are facing, I would likely go on a major sewing binge (I sew).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about learning to meditate? Chances are you are used to having that time in your own head from training, but meditation is something that requires practice... maybe starting it now might make it easier to use when you are really stressing and need it.
I'm also not sure if "non weight bearing" could include things like pool running and swimming (even with a pull buoy between your legs).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katcycle,
I haven't been able to train for over three months now, and that is following a year and a half of declining performance due to an absurd number of injuries.

At least for me, the most important part of the mental part of coping has been focusing on what it is that I can do, rather than what I cannot. These days for me, the "can" days are waking up free of pain, and being able to walk up to 5 miles.

Watch the food and alcohol intake. Gaining weight doesn't help with the mental part.

And find a good team of clinicians to get through to the end.

Best wishes to a recovery that is as speedy as can be expected.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry about the "emergency", but better to have it over with I guess. You're doing a good job of keeping things in perspective food-wise. I'm proud of you. Keep it going!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm terribly sorry to hear this. I don't have any sage advice. But keep us posted w/ recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week went ok. It was a taper week for 1/2 marathon.

Swim x 3. Good, but really wanted 4.
Bike x 4, but none longer than 1:15, and all easy
Run x 5.

Did half marathon. It was a beautiful day, somewhat cold but perfect for 1/2 marathon. My stomach was upset from when I woke up. I ran well. I feel I could have run a bit faster, but my stomach had other ideas. When I tried to pick it up at the end my stomach made me come to full stop. 2 bathroom stops. One was a true porta-potty. But second was dive into bushes, look down while having my moment, and a dead squirrel at my feet. UGH. Anyway. My Garmin said 1:35, but chip time (no auto pause) was 1:36. So could have been better, glad it wasn't worse. Next year I'm going to aim for closer to 1:30.

This week w/ slight recover early in week. I have my first 1/2 IM in April, so going into bike heavy training. Not too much over coming weekend, siblings in town for parent's birthdays so I'll sneak in what I can. Back full force next week.

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a nice time. Enjoy the family!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Took the week off to heal my knee - it took 9 days (and one heinous long walk through PHX airport) and it finally feels better.

Finally back at work - super boring. Going to look into if they have a gym/spin class on site, but it's only 10 min from home.

We went and visited Utah. LOVED it - it's gorgeous and everyone is SO nice. It was definitely an adjustment coming from 70-degree San Jose to 35-degree SLC, but nothing a few shopping trips can't fix. Now we wait on the official job offer, and if it's enough $ to justify leaving our current jobs, they will fly us back out to find housing.

My work isn't currently tickling my fancy, so I'm pro-change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Katcycle, I'm so sorry. I'm dealing with my 2nd long-term injury, and I know how hard it is. I had shoulder surgery ~5 years ago and wasn't sure I'd ever be able to swim distances again. Full recovery took a year, and for the first few weeks, all I could do was walk and my official PT exercises, but I made it back to about 90-95%. Then about 7 months ago (3 weeks after I did IMTX), I was on my bike and collided with a car that pulled out in front of me. I've had complications and setbacks from what I thought was a minor injury, and under the direction of my PT, I am now allowed to get my heart rate all the way up to 103, which means I can walk an 18-min mile if it's flat and not too hot. If things go well for 24 hours after our session today, I get to bump it up to 110. I asked her today for her opinion of a best-case estimate for returning to training, and she said 1-4 months just to start training at the beginning. I'm 53, and I've learned that coming back from zero is a lot tougher than it used to be.

My tips for the mental stuff - feel free to "take what you like and leave the rest" - there's no right or wrong, just find what helps you!

1. It's ok to be sad, disappointed, frustrated, etc. - it is a physical and mental loss.
2. If you get too frustrated/sad/etc, talk to someone.
3. I balance staying involved (meetings, socials, volunteering, facebook) with staying home - sometimes it's just too hard to be happy for everyone who is planning the next race, and I try hard not to steal anyone's joy. I have a few good friends who know me well and help me through my "mental moments" but I try not to talk about me and my fascinating injuries all the time ;-) I volunteered at the Houston marathon on Sunday and enjoyed meeting new people, helping, and cheering on the runners, but by the end of our shift, I didn't feel great and went home instead of going to eat with the gang. I wasn't pouting, I just had a wicked headache and wouldn't have been good company.
4. One thing I haven't achieved - I should be eating for healing and weight control, but instead I'm eating for depression and as if I were training. I've gained 10-15 pounds since I got hurt.
5. I got involved with Team Red, White, and Blue, a group of veterans and civilians who try to help veterans acclimate back into society through sports. When people are talking about learning to walk with prosthetics or coping with post-traumatic issues, injuries, etc, it gives me a little bit of perspective.
6. I worked with a bunch of "newbies" who were afraid of open-water swimming. I took them to a small private beach and gave them a gentle intro to swimming in water where you can't see your hand in front of your face (typical of most Houston-area venues), and I swear I was SO proud of them when they overcame their fears. It helped me remember my start and the joy of triathlon when you're not obsessing over it.
7. Physically, do what you can for exercise - ask your Dr or PT what is safe. Can you swim once you're in the boot, maybe with a pool buoy? Upper body and core workouts? The key, though, is to be smart!! Patience isn't fun or easy, but it will pay off.
8. Don't give up hope. Sometimes my progress is so miniscule, or I have a setback, or the "exercises" I'm doing seem so lame, but I have a care team that I trust and if I look back at my notes, I am improving. I keep a log using the same format that I used for training, but now it's full of PT notes and symptoms - it's come in handy a few times when we were trying to figure out what provoked my symptoms.

Best of luck,
Diane

katcycle wrote:
Not to start off this thread on a sour note, but - I found out that my year is basically over. I need to have surgery that will have me completely non weight bearing for almost 2 months, plus another month in a boot, and it will likely be towards the end of the year before I can handle much stress on the injury. If this all works.

My ability to train has been declining, but very rapidly declining over the past two months. It's definitely time to address it, but I can't help but feel extremely depressed about what's coming. I've never been inactive for that long.

Any advice on how to deal with the mental challenges ahead? I seriously have no experience with this.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 20 Edition [mdiane630] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, thanks everyone. I am sitting here trying to bawl my eyes out at work. You are all very kind and I appreciate the well wishes and advice.

Since it's an ankle, I'm just not sure how mobile I am going to be after the initial three months. I think that's the worst part. If they told me that I could jump back on my bike and have it just be over, that'd be easier for me to digest and "agree to," but two months of only being in a cast and able to barely rest my toe on the ground and then transitioning into the boot after not even really using my left leg - I just don't know how much I will be able to do and when. No injury is easy. A lot of things are going to have to change. I don't know if I will be able to crutch myself the mile from the train station to my office, for example.

I think I'm just scared. I know I will figure it out, but as a dancer and a runner and a cyclist I've always felt so much of the world through my feet. When I am having a rough day, I go work it off. This is just hitting me really hard. I need to be patient, swim, and lay off the chocolate. I know that when I get to the point of doing things, things to do will become apparent.

I'll be in the pool as soon as they allow it for some pull buoy. I think that's all I have right now, as I'm waiting (for what seems like an insanely long time but is in fact only three business days,) for a surgery date. Unfortunately, I just don't have the patience for a lot of "sit down hobbies," although I love to read and may try and brush off those French DVDs. Exercise keeps me sane, so maybe meditation is a good idea to try and quiet my very, very busy mind.

Thanks again for the support and keep any suggestions coming! I will try to only whine a little. I'll probably fail, but thanks in advance for putting up with me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Feel free to whine, moan, scream, cry as much as you want :-)

Another exercise idea is the arm cycle. Your gym may or may not have one, but that is something you do sitting. Also maybe lifting upper body weights? Even if you have to crutch yourself around the weight room.

Quote Reply