Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals for this week:
1. Keep doing well with food Trouble here, 5 good days and 2 bad :-(
2. At least 12k swim CHECK
3. At least 2 rides (even if they are short) did one
I am proud of myself for a 3rd week with a day off from running.

M - 8 mi run + 4200 yd swim
T - 5 mi run + 4300 yd swim
W - 12 mi run + 2000 yd swim
T - 6.5 mi run* + 4100 yd swim
F - 9.5 mi run + 1000 yd swim
S - 4.63 mi walk + bike commute to/from gym
S - 9.5 mi run** + 1.7 mi walk + hip/shoulder exercises

Totals 15,600 yd swim + teeny bit of cycling + 50.5 mi run + 8.6 mi walking
*this run was a workout: 400 (8.0 mph), 800 (8.1 mph), 1200 (8.2 mph), 1600 (8.3 mph), 1200 (8.4 mph), 800 (8.5 mph), 400 (8.6 mph)
**another workout, 3 x 2 mi @ 7:30 pace

Goals for this coming week:
4 bike rides even if they are short
20k swim
no food issues!

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, last week sucked for running. I'm blaming the polar vortex and my lack of access to a treadmill.
Monday our office was closed and the wind was whipping like crazy, so I rode the trainer. Usually swim but pool was closed due to the weather.
Tuesday I spent 3 hours in the car commuting due to the bad weather and roads and with that, the bitter cold, and the amazing wind chill, I rode the trainer.
Wed. I swam, and it was great and I swam pretty well.
Thursday I bummed a guest pass off my friend and ran on the treadmill in the morning, my second 'race pace' run, and it went quite well! I was totally bored on the treadmill. The TVs they had going helped only slightly - the closed captioning was too small for me to read. Ugh.
Thursday after work was not an option for workout because we run a clinic from 3-6 that's even farther away from my house, so I didn't get home until 8pm and was exhausted.
Saturday my long run went amazingly well. I was astounded at my pace for the run - I wasn't trying to run fast or hard or anything. I was just 'tooling along".
Sunday I got out for a run and another trainer ride.
So, 1 swim eh
3 runs :-(
3 bikes :-)

This week I hope to be back on track with the running.

I'm signed up for three races in 2014 already! This is a big change from the last 4 years where I flew more by the seat of my pants due to grad school and the residencies.
So - marathon 4/26, half IM 6/8, AG Nats in Milwaukee in Aug.
I realize the half IM might be a little soon after the marathon but I'm OK with that... I'll take advice for recovery and prep between the two. I'm kind of just seeing if I like the half IM distance as it's been since '09 since I last did one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops, forgot to add... I'm building my new road bike. Specialized S-Works Amira :-)
Looking for short reach short drop handlebars, fairly light at a decent price...
Trying to decide on groupset... I've always used Shimano but husband said SRAM would have a shorter reach to the levers.
I have pretty small hands.
and picking wheels. Husband showed me a pair of carbon clinchers he thinks are sweet... he says I'm light enough to train on them full time... I was skeptical...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two bike rides. The first was going strong - I was 8 miles out in the evening and then my front light went out. The bike path is DARK so I freaked, texted my husband, and started booking it home. I was about 3 miles from home when someone coming the other direction hollered at me. I yelled an apology that my light was out, thinking I was being reprimanded. Then he turned around and came up behind me - it was my husband to save the day and light the way. Happy as a clam, I booked it the rest of the way home... until the corner right before our apartment complex. I crashed and went sliding across the curb - nasty roadrash on my knee and a plethora of bruises. Smacked my head and hands on the pavement HARD - thank goodness for helmet and gloves. He walked our bikes and I limped the last .1 home.

3 days of healing (and one long walk on the beach in Santa Cruz) and I went out again last night. Shorter ride (just 6 mi) but needed to shake off the crash. Thankfully all the damage to my bike is cosmetic - small scrapes on the right shifter, pedal, and edge of the seat.

It can only go up from here, right? Get your shit together, 2014 ^_~

-----------------------------------------------------------------
You. You make me stronger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Run x 6 - WIN, including my test run to see if I'd be racing this weekend.
Swim x 3 - FAIL. 2 only; roads were too dangerous on Tues & we went to a freakshow instead on Thurs.
Bike x 3 - FAIL. 2 only.
Core/strength x 4 - WIN

Hammy is holding up with increased weekly & long run mileage (49.6km last week with 18.5k long run), so it looks like racing on Saturday is a go!

This week's goals:
Run x 5
Swim x 3
Bike x 2
Core/strength x 4

The event on Saturday is a 3-hour trail run, which I'll really be training through. It's more or less just an excuse to go run around in the woods with friends for the morning with food at the end.

Cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Slowly coming out of my December-induced funk. I am sure I have seasonal-affective disorder. Next December I'm going to somewhere hot and sunny for a week.

Two OUTSIDE bike rides! More miles in 2 days than in the past four months. One day of some weights. Back into the pool this week.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bah!

I'm out for a couple weeks because of a knee injury.

I can't remember if I told everyone about this yet. If so, feel free to skip.

Back in November I was working with my personal trainer to work on balance and overall strength. I was doing box step-ups with weights in my hands. I stepped back down and just landed wrong. I think my knee locked instead of flexing to absorb the impact.

Pain but nothing serious. It bothered me a bit that night so I took time off. Felt OK, did some running, still OK then I did the Seattle Half Marathon. About mile 10 I felt a few twinges but nothing that stopped me in my tracks. Finished, took almost 2 weeks off out of sheer laziness. Did a 12k, no problems. Took another 10ish days off, went for a run on NYE and BAM! Shocking knee pain 2 miles from home so I had to walk. By the time I was home my entire right side was in pain, low back through my calf.

Day after New Years I call and make an appointment with a sports med Dr. Saw him last Monday. He was able to generate a lot of pain moving my knee around. To the point where I sat up and grabbed his arm involuntarily. He thinks it is a hole or tear in my meniscus because of degeneration in the joint. X-Ray showed calcifications on the tips of my kneecap. He suggested two options. PT and complete rest for a couple weeks or get an MRI immediately.

I'm trying to avoid plunking down money for an MRI (deductible reset in Jan.) but it isn't feeling a whole lot better despite 2 full weeks off except everyday walking. I'm going in to see a PT on Thursday morning to see what he thinks. I've worked with him on and off for 10+ years so I trust his opinion.

I also talked it over with a few people and the consensus is that I'll need PT regardless of the MRI results so I might as well get started.

I'm thankful I've only lost about $50 in race fees. I had planned on traveling to a race in CA so I'm really happy I hadn't bought a plane ticket!

This is my most serious injury aside from a trip and fall that cracked a rib a couple years ago. Fingers crossed no surgery is involved because I live alone, in a downstairs apartment, and would be stuck there forever. I also wouldn't be able to get in to work because it is my right knee so no driving. I'm putting the cart before the horse and trying not to worry about something that hasn't happened yet.

Ugh. Double ugh.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear and fingers crossed for you :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. An unfortunate side affect is not being able to eat as much food! I'm starving because I usually eat 400-500 calories more a day than I am now. Ugh.

Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope no surgery! Ugh! Hang in there and keep us posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week went well
Had 4 swims, but one was when the pool heater had died, so I only made it 1200 and got out shivering.
5 runs and 4 bikes. Legs were more fatigued than they should have been. Better this morning.

This week - short taper for 1/2 marathon on Sunday.
4 bikes, but nothing long
5 runs, but mostly short
and 4-5 swims.

Happy training all.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition [Agilecipher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see why you married him!! Good pick.
Heal well. Better luck this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck w/ the knee.
I think it's somewhat ironic that your ortho surgeon's name is Dr. Shaw. But here in Austin we have a urologist named Dick Chop (that's true )
Keep us updated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I imagine cycling might irritate it but can you swim?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only with the pull buoy. The flex in my knees from kicking hurts.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Jen, am so sorry to hear that.

I hope all goes well and you don't need surgery.

If it is a meniscus tear, they may be able to repair using noninvasive procedures and you would not be immobilized for very long.

As a HS teacher, I have seen tons of soccer girls who shred their knees playing in wet NJ conditions. Most of them bounce back pretty quickly after surgery and are back in class almost immediately and don't seem to even use crutches for very long. And they seen to get back in action in only a few weeks!

Let us know how it goes w/PT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Jen that's not good to hear :-( hang in there and fingers crossed no surgery. Sending healing vibes your way (ooohhhhmmmmmm)
AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's really not cool. Tried the recumbent bike last night and it hurt so I bailed after 5 minutes and did a 20 minute swim, all pull, since I can't kick. Zzzzz......

I'm suffering from and excess of energy right now that is driving me a bit nuts. I'm getting soft but luckily I'm being strict with my food and not getting fat. Blech.

Jen

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jen,
Sorry to hear about the knee injury, and glad that you have a PT that you can rely upon. Best wishes.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 13 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
determination wrote:
oops, forgot to add... I'm building my new road bike. Specialized S-Works Amira :-)
Looking for short reach short drop handlebars, fairly light at a decent price...
Trying to decide on groupset... I've always used Shimano but husband said SRAM would have a shorter reach to the levers.
I have pretty small hands.
and picking wheels. Husband showed me a pair of carbon clinchers he thinks are sweet... he says I'm light enough to train on them full time... I was skeptical...

As for bars, I have Ritchey Logic II WCS bars on my road bike. In a 38 they have 125 drop and 72 reach, and their shape helped me actually be able to reach my brakes for the first time in the drops without shimming. I have tiny hands, and they're the shortest drop/reach I could find readily available. I couldn't find anything in carbon, but I've been really happy with these bars.

Congrats on the new bike! I love my Amira.
Quote Reply