Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UPDATE (02.19) LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect?
Quote | Reply
How many of you have had this procedure (laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy) and what was your recovery time before you were able to start training. My OB/GYN is telling me 2 weeks max. I plan to be back training by March 1st. I'm reading some women can take up to two months recovery (I would die) and some as little a 8-10 days.

I just had an emergency appendectomy (laparoscopic) on 12/30 and was in the hospital for 4 painfully boring days then home for another 4 days before I went back to work and the recovery is killing me – no swimming or running 4 weeks, no biking 3 weeks. I can start treadmill walking on 01/14, which I plan at least 3-5 miles a day.

If any of you are willing to share your experiences with having a full or partial hysterectomy, I'd really appreciate it. And of course, you can PM if you prefer not to discuss openly.

Not exactly how I intended to start my 2014 season.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Last edited by: kmh1225: Feb 19, 14 16:32
Quote Reply
Re: LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there - I had a laparoscopic hysterectomy in November, but I had my cervix removed. The first week was fairly uncomfortable but after that I started walking a lot and was able to sit on my trainer and spin easy. My doctor was adamant about not running, lifting, or exerting myself too much on the bike for 6-8 weeks, although I felt pretty much back to normal after about 3-4. At my 6 week follow up I was cleared to ease back into normal activity so I've been walk/jogging for the last couple weeks - feeling good, but being careful. I think if you are leaving the cervix your recovery time will be much faster (doctor was mostly concerned with internal stitches that I am not sure you will have?). I expected to be feeling much more out of shape than I do! The mental strain of sitting around was the worst part. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [sueruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was very helpful! THANK YOU!!!
Like you, I hope to at least be on the trainer within a week.
Happy New Year!

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear this, but really, you will be glad after you recover.

You might read through this thread.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ysterectomy;#4395259

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Cathy...the thread you posted answered all my questions!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear it. One tip - really don't have any return to training plans written in stone because you never know what will happen until they finish. There will always be another race.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Glad to hear it. One tip - really don't have any return to training plans written in stone because you never know what will happen until they finish. There will always be another race.

Couldn't agree more. I had a robotic laparascopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy on Jan 3, 13 days ago. I knew they would remove uterus and cervix, but they ended up removing ovaries and tubes too. I'm not driving or working for 2 weeks. No lifting anything heavier than 10 pounds for a month, and walking as my only exercise for 6 weeks. The tiny incisions are not the big deal. It's all the internal stitches that need all that time to heal. The less they remove, the faster you'll heal.

I feel like I'm recovering really well, compared to the average non-athlete. First 5 days post surgery were uncomfortable, but it's been getting better every day since then. There is a definite disconnect between what my brain thinks I can do and what my body is capable of doing right now. Yesterday I went for a 30 minute walk, then about an hour break, then another 20 minute walk and that was a little much. Still feeling tired today. Core muscles are a little sore. To give you an idea of my pre-hysterectomy fitness level, I did IMFL on Nov 2 and raced a 1/2 marathon on Nov 30, blissfully unaware of what was in store.I'm told I only get one chance to heal right, so I'm following doctors orders. Not committing to any races until I get back into training and see how quickly I can bounce back.

PM me if you want to talk details. I was a nervous wreck leading up to the surgery. The waiting is the hardest part.
Quote Reply
Re:UPDATE (02.19.14) LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had my surgery a week ago today. It didn't go as well as expected and ended up having both laparoscopic AND open surgery - poked and proded in every way possible.

My Dr removed 943 grams which included the fibroid and uterus....uterus weighing just over 100 grams. I've been carrying around over 2.2 lbs all in my uterus (I wasn't kidding when I said I looked pregnant) - hence the reason he couldn't continue with the laparoscopy, everything was just too big.

I was admitted to the hospital for 3 nights recovery. I'm going to admit I was in denial about the seriousness of this surgery as well as delusional about insisting I'd be back to normal by today. Luckily, my mom flew down to take care of me, because recovery isn't a cake walk. Although I am feeling better and better each day, it hurts and my activity is limited to extremely shorts walks before I really start to hurt. At times the gas pain is the worst part. I don't do well on pain meds, they make me extremely sick. Bless my mother because I know I was a nightmare to deal with when I got home from the hospital.

I went for my follow up appt yesterday and had a complete meltdown - I cried for 45 min straight. My doctor said I would be a little depressed after surgery, but of course I responded, it won't happen to me.... it has.

I'm off work for at least another week, something I wasn't anticipating and causing me anxiety because I know everything is piling up.

EVERYONE keeps telling me it will be worth it, right now I'm having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Ok, back to watching TV and reading.

Quote Reply
Re: Re:UPDATE (02.19.14) LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wishes that the recovery continues at a rapid rate.
moms are the best :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Re:UPDATE (02.19.14) LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [kmh1225] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sucks how much time healing takes, and how much it takes out of you, but it'll happen. You will get there. Glad to hear you are on the mend and sending lots of healing vibes.

Moms are the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh you really have been through the ringer. I'm so sorry. I hope you're through the worst of it and can start feeling a little better each day. I was fine on the pain pills for 2 days and then I took one dose too many and felt awful and I needed my mommy too. Aren't moms wonderful when you're hurting?

Tomorrow will be 7 weeks post surgery for me. I was really good and followed doctors orders. Only walking for 6 weeks. I started really slow. 10 minute neighborhood walks at first and then lots of rest. I was able to build up to 3.5 mile walks at a decent pace by the end of the 6 weeks. Walking just takes so darn long and it's hard to get a good sweat going, you know?

I thought I'd be all gung ho to get back, but my body is telling me to take it slow. I'm not ready for daily workouts yet. I have a long way to go to get back to full strength but I'm on no timetable and I know it will come back.

I know you had some goal races in mind for this year. I hope that's not making you crazy. You only get one chance to heal well. That's what I keep telling myself.

Pam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry it didn't go as planned (I know that story too well). I went in saying 2 weeks off work was fine and my doc said, no - 6 weeks. By the end of the 6 weeks, I was REALLY glad I hadn't gone back to work. They'll get by. My work had one meeting without me (monthly meetings), then cancelled the rest until I got back.

Take it as the doc says! Hope you're feeling better.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh no! I just read this. I had no idea you were having so much trouble. I'm sorry it has been so rough. Should I post more cute cat pictures to cheer you up? :-)

Take it easy. Races will still be there when you are ready. Let Henry take care of you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, that sucks. But I do hope the recovery is speedy and makes up for the procedure and immediate aftermath <3

Are you somewhere, by chance, where it is still crappy winter, and you can at least gloat about being warm and toasty on the couch and free from crappy commutes and shoveling duties? ;-) Even if not...you could still gloat :D

Healing thoughts your way!~~~~

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Re:UPDATE (02.19.14) LSH scheduled for 02/12. What can I expect? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh wow! I am so so sorry!

You just never know sometimes. Before I had my procedure done, I did talk to a friend who had a worst case scenario----she had everything taken out with an open surgery and there was cancer---just so I would have an idea of how bad it COULD be. But she did get through it. Six weeks off for her and lots of rehab type workouts for the stomach muscles. She came back better than before.

Yes, thank goodness for moms! If my outcome had been tougher, mine would have come to help. No way the men at my house could have done it. I was taking out the trash the day after surgery and they just watched me do it!

You will get better. You will get through this. Take the time to heal up right. I had an easy time, but I did listen to my friends who told me not to rush, to take the recommended time off.

I do like the idea of using this time to do some things you otherwise don't have time to do, like read or binge watch TV shows. I had some plans for a longer recovery myself...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get Well Soon!

and if you're looking for an amazing, absorbing read, try Kate Atkinson's Life after Life. Spectacular.
Quote Reply