Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [dannyh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi dannyh. I was looking over your old post and came across the last point on freezing the BTA bottle. I race in hot weather all the time and I have found that even if I just chill the bottle and leave it on the bike during the swim, the liquid seems to expand as the day warms up (or if I have a bad swim and get there really late). So the liquid is either starting to leak out or exploded on me one time (I ended up losing all the fuel in that bottle which was half of what I needed for the HIM) when I start on the bike. Havent tried the freezing yet as I wonder if the expansion problem will be even worse!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Fast Freddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Freddy,
I used the Speedfill A2 as a part of my BTA setup so theoretically I could crack it open to vent but if you combine hydration / nutrition it might be a little messy.

For your situation on a closed system I would suggest you do freeze / thaw tests during your off days to gauge the thaw / expansion rate and adjust your prefreeze volume accordingly. From a thaw perspective I found in 100+ degree heat a fully frozen 24ou non-insulated bottle sitting on concrete would be melted within 2 hours with the majority being not cold...

While this wont be applicable to your events I found that on my Shiv for really hot and long training rides if I froze the BTA and used a 32ou bottle with ice cubes to fill bladder and then a 24ou bottle top top the bladder off it was awesome. Also if you insulate your BTA and freeze it the water will still be nice and cold after 1.5 hours. The drawback is while the insulation is cheap and functional its not sexy looking..

Hope this helps.
Danny
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Danny. Just got me 2 camelback podium chill bottles to try that out with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

While making some adjustments on my new Shiv, I noticed my LBS had setup the left and right extension differently - angle adjustment and lines on the extensions did not match up. I took the aero bar apart, and rebuilt with all of the extension pieces, swapping pieces on each side, etc. I cannot get the extensions to line up correctly. My wife noticed that the left extension appears to be different from the right. It looks like the left extension did not get the full "ski bend" while in production. I did my best to line up all lines, angles, etc.. for the photo. The bars are level at the aero bar, but there is a 4mm height difference at the end of the bars. Has anyone else seen this? I want to double check before I head back to the LBS. Thanks for the help.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

First of all - Happy New Year!

I'm the proud owner of a new 2013 Shiv Pro frame-kit that came with a grayish "Specialized" logo underneath the clear coat on the down-tube, like this: http://www.specialized.com/dk/en/bikes/archive/2013/shiv/shivproosbbframeset. My LBS also gave me the set of colored decals to put on outside of the clear cote, but there is a problem with the size of these decals. On the spare ones the word "Specialized" is longer than the one underneath the coating, which means that the alignment of the letters get out of sync and thereby I'm not able to put on those sets.

My frame is a Medium and on the decal-set I can read a "L" apart from all the Chinese symbols. The question is, does anyone know if there is different sizes of decals to go with the different frame size? (and that my LBS then might have given me the wrong size of decals)

Cheers,
Morten
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MrSommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrSommer wrote:
I'm the proud owner of a new 2013 Shiv Pro frame-kit that came with a grayish "Specialized" logo underneath the clear coat on the down-tube
That's the new 2014 frame, not a 2013 frame. The decals are from a 2013 kit (full bike or frame.)

Edit: That's some other 2013 frame, not the "2013 frame" reviewed by TriRig.
Last edited by: uucee: Jan 2, 14 12:45
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [uucee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2014 shiv pro is like this:

http://www.specialized.com/...d/shiv/shiv-pro-race

his is 2013 shiv pro :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [paulbanday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
paulbanday wrote:
his is 2013 shiv pro
Well, my 2013 pro (full bike, not a frame kit) that came with the sticker set doesn't have any logos under the clear coat, except for the front "S"…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UUCEE you're correct on this part - apparently several versions of the 2013 Pro frame kit is available.

First when I wanted to find an image I was also thinking about linking to Tririg, but found that these pictures didn't have the logo under the clear coat, hence the link to the danish part of the specialized website (the country where the frame is also bought) that shows the same edition of the frame as I have.

Which size is your bike and do you recall if the stickers were labelled with a corresponding number on them, eg. L for Large, M for Medium etc... ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Bmonty2504] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have those bars and really like them. Because of all the adjustments it took me some time to get it both fitting right, and symmetrical, as in, the left the same as the right. This was hard because the extensions are very adjustable, they can go forward and back, they can rotate left and right and they angle up and down as well, so if one of those is off they wont be the same in the front. Besides that the ski bars are not straight ski bars but kind of ergo ski bars, which are really nice to hold. But it is hard to get it right.

Before I explain how I did it and some tips you can use to set up yours, I am not excluding that it could indeed be a factory mismatch of some sorts like you say.
The thing is, I thought mine were different as well. That the right was different from the left one, but they ended up being the same. Its just the ergo angles that are hard to see when setting up.

Here is what I did.
- Try to use the lines on the bars less, those may not be placed exactly in the same positions on both extensions. Use your eyes.
- I started with getting them level from the side, so adjust the wedge thing that adjust the extensions angle up and down. Once they were even, I proceeded.
- I then matched them in length (I cut some off of the back because they were too long), once they were even in the front, I put some tape on them near the mounts for reference.
- I then did the rotating which was the hardest part, in and out, until I got the front angled part of the extensions straight when looking down.
- I rode, then adjusted. It took me two rides to get it right, now it's a super sweet fit.

From your picture:
- It looks like the left one can rotate a bit inwards. As it is rotated inwards the end of the extension will also go down, perhaps to the same level as the left one.
- Your shifters are not the same, the left one (front chain ring) does not go in the same position as the right one, so if you use that to try to match the extensions, it will be difficult.
- Try not looking at the lines too much. Mount the bike while its on a trainer and adjust it with an allen set. Don't overtighten (if you have a torque wrench, better)

Good luck, and remember yours could be faulty, but try some more before bringing them back. They could be good.

Bmonty2504 wrote:

While making some adjustments on my new Shiv, I noticed my LBS had setup the left and right extension differently - angle adjustment and lines on the extensions did not match up. I took the aero bar apart, and rebuilt with all of the extension pieces, swapping pieces on each side, etc. I cannot get the extensions to line up correctly. My wife noticed that the left extension appears to be different from the right. It looks like the left extension did not get the full "ski bend" while in production. I did my best to line up all lines, angles, etc.. for the photo. The bars are level at the aero bar, but there is a 4mm height difference at the end of the bars. Has anyone else seen this? I want to double check before I head back to the LBS. Thanks for the help.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this was asked/answered in the previous 80 pages of posts. I waded through a bunch of them and glazed over:-)

Why are there some Shiv TT's with a level stem and no "hump" at the end of the top tube yet some others do not (Tony Martin's is flat as is tetonrider's). Initially I thought it was a year of mfg thing but I still see both. The Specialized site shows the flat top version for reference:

http://www.specialized.com/...works-shiv-tt-module
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [wasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasfast wrote:
Apologies if this was asked/answered in the previous 80 pages of posts. I waded through a bunch of them and glazed over:-)

Why are there some Shiv TT's with a level stem and no "hump" at the end of the top tube yet some others do not (Tony Martin's is flat as is tetonrider's). Initially I thought it was a year of mfg thing but I still see both. The Specialized site shows the flat top version for reference:

http://www.specialized.com/...works-shiv-tt-module

I believe the hump is only on the XS shiv. This is to get the standover height lower. All of the sizes, except the XS, have the same frame stack and same standover height.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how much steering tube is necessary for the carbon Shiv Aero stem?

I have the alloy stem and hydroform bars now on my Rival, but I'd like to upgrade to the aero stem and carbon bars. My steering tube is cut, stem setting on the dust cover, top cap on top, no spacers at all. Is that enough for the Aero Stem?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MITaerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Mark,

I was cleaning up my Shiv earlier and noticed that the clear coat has chipped off slightly right by the front left brake pad. It looks like the brake is flush (or almost flush) with the frame but it's not touching where the clear coat has chipped. I just put in deep/wider wheels, but didn't mess with the breaks, except to use the 2mm allen key to open up the calipers a little bit to fit the rim. Have you seen this before? Do you think it is a result of the front brake rubbing?

Thanks,

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [JaxGator80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just because I like numbers ... & 2013 sucked ass

CC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I am installing internal DI2 on my Shiv and am looking for the Specialized part number for the internal seatpost mount. I have previously asked my dealer and left a question on the specialized support website about this so I wanted to see if you could help.

Thank you in advance,
Danny
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [MrSommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrSommer wrote:
Which size is your bike and do you recall if the stickers were labelled with a corresponding number on them, eg. L for Large, M for Medium etc... ?
Mine is an M frame and the stickers do have a "(M)" label after the Chinese characters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am building a DI2 SHIV with an internal battery in the seatpost and would really like the part number for these internal battery seatpost parts-or do you recommend spray foam for this application?Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification UUCEE. I have requested a set of decals in the correct size from my LBS and they will be delivered soon :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just found myself a decent S-Works 2013 Framekit. Planning go build the bike based on the new Ultegra Di2 6870 11 speed group set.

http://www.starbike.com/...ernal-cable-routing/

Is there anything that i should be aware off?

The only thing i have a hard time to select i my wheel set? I looked into the HED Jet 9 with power tap. Compared to Quark for S-works its a lot cheaper. Don't know why zipp 606 with Quark for S-works is more expensive here i Denmark/UK.

Picture below of frame set for info.

Last edited by: Coolmann_dk: Jan 8, 14 9:12
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [carbonsport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carbonsport wrote:
I too am building a DI2 SHIV with an internal battery in the seatpost and would really like the part number for these internal battery seatpost parts-or do you recommend spray foam for this application?Thanks

Specialized service part # S136800018

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Specialized Bicycle Components
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [JaxGator80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JaxGator80 wrote:
Hi Mark,

I was cleaning up my Shiv earlier and noticed that the clear coat has chipped off slightly right by the front left brake pad. It looks like the brake is flush (or almost flush) with the frame but it's not touching where the clear coat has chipped. I just put in deep/wider wheels, but didn't mess with the breaks, except to use the 2mm allen key to open up the calipers a little bit to fit the rim. Have you seen this before? Do you think it is a result of the front brake rubbing?

Thanks,

I doubt this is from front brake rubbing as the chip is on the outside of the fork. I haven't seen a lot of this - case by case.

Mark
I've have very good lu

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ordered a Shiv Expert Thanksgiving weekend last year. I was told it was out of stock originally till January, then next update was february, then mid february, then late february, now today I was told March. Are horrible forecasting and inventory levels normal for Specialized? My first experience with them and really let down. Im debating on whether to cancel my order and go with something else or stick it out. Frustrating...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Coolmann_dk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just picked up this same frame set used. Building it up now. Can't wait. I've only seen that color skeam under pros which is where I bought mine "pro hand me down". Was it a pro only color or sold everywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [loutriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? What're you looking for - size, color, spec? I'm sorry to hear about your challenges.

Shiv's have been in high demand (2014 models especially) and low supply so far this year. However, I can shake the tree from my end and check for you.

Best,

Mark

--
Mark Cote
MITAerobike
Quote Reply

Prev Next