Prev Next
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Tiremaniacs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely usefull, thanks m8!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Richie74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply.
Which BB30 is it? Is it regular BB30 or the pressfit/sram type?

If regular do I just get the Bearings and have them pressed in? Does it need an outer shell or anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [Marcell_S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is BB30. You can press two bearings or install a BB30 to 'whatever' adapter and appropriate crankset.

----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
http://www.tiremaniacs.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate, I have a rotor BB30 crank, so I should be able to just get it straight in.

So, I just get a set like these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...bly-kit/rp-prod40333

and just press them straight into the frame, no sleeve or anything?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcell_S wrote:
Thanks mate, I have a rotor BB30 crank, so I should be able to just get it straight in.

So, I just get a set like these
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...bly-kit/rp-prod40333

and just press them straight into the frame, no sleeve or anything?

Correct, I should get my 3D+ crank in few days too. Too bad it has a long shaft to accommodate BBRight - in BB30 it requires spacers on each side and I believe they come with the crankset. Happy New Year!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spacers didn't come with mine.

Yes I'm moving from a bbright frame. I was trying to work out how the stance width stays unchanged with that axle, it must be the straighter arms.i think I need to change to a chainset with a more curved arm as I toe in quite a bit and my foots hitting the crank arm!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT is a beautiful bike. Just needs an aero front brake (TriRig Omega).
Very nice.

ChrisM wrote:
Race ready at Miami 70.3. 2:26

Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
THAT is a beautiful bike. Just needs an aero front brake (TriRig Omega).
Very nice.

ChrisM wrote:
Race ready at Miami 70.3. 2:26

Thanks. I have an omega sitting on the shelf that I am putting on for next season
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcell_S wrote:
The spacers didn't come with mine.

Yes I'm moving from a bbright frame. I was trying to work out how the stance width stays unchanged with that axle, it must be the straighter arms.i think I need to change to a chainset with a more curved arm as I toe in quite a bit and my foots hitting the crank arm!

The Q-factor is the same on all of these cranksets. BB30/PF30 width cranksets have curved crank arms (like SRAM Red); ones with the wider shaft must have flat crank arms. This also might present a problem for me as the shoes I use and really like have a bit wide carbon heel box - Gaerne G Chrono

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeh, I know the q-factors are the same, but as I say the arms are different.
I think I need something that has slender arms so I can toe in a bit and still have my feet as close in as possible.

My knees track very close to the toptube so I think they would prefer to have my feet inbound as much as possible.
Problem is my rotor is my powermeter!
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello guys, 2013 TM01, M-S frameset is on the way. LBS will use my mostly 7900 drivetrain and Brezza II to build the bike. I will be parting ways with my trusty Quarq as it was on megaexo BB on my E112. So, I am looking for a new crank. Can you provide some suggestions, where would you look, here is what I have:

1. 7900 group
2. I will not use any adapters, so need BB30 crank
3. Will likely fit it with Vector, still looking into that as I have a road bike with BB30 SLK-light and Vector has clearance issue due to crank thickness
4. I do prefer mid compact 52/36, crank length can be 172.5(current) or 170mm

What I am arriving at is either Rotor or Sram. If that is the choice, I have a few questions:

1. Sram crank and rings, shifting quality with Shimano chain and 7900 FD?

2. Does Rotor offer round chainrings, I will not do any oval or other unconventional stuff, I am old school, if not oval chainrings, which ones would you use

Questions, questions, thank you. Any ideas are welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
Hello guys, 2013 TM01, M-S frameset is on the way. LBS will use my mostly 7900 drivetrain and Brezza II to build the bike. I will be parting ways with my trusty Quarq as it was on megaexo BB on my E112. So, I am looking for a new crank. Can you provide some suggestions, where would you look, here is what I have:

1. 7900 group
2. I will not use any adapters, so need BB30 crank
3. Will likely fit it with Vector, still looking into that as I have a road bike with BB30 SLK-light and Vector has clearance issue due to crank thickness
4. I do prefer mid compact 52/36, crank length can be 172.5(current) or 170mm

What I am arriving at is either Rotor or Sram. If that is the choice, I have a few questions:

1. Sram crank and rings, shifting quality with Shimano chain and 7900 FD?

2. Does Rotor offer round chainrings, I will not do any oval or other unconventional stuff, I am old school, if not oval chainrings, which ones would you use

Questions, questions, thank you. Any ideas are welcome.

Hi, Good deal on the setup.
I've used SRAM Red cranks quite a bit and I think they are super solid - the only questionable thing will be the interesting look of combined SRAM and Shimano :-). I have always used them with KMC X10SL chains. I am now getting ROTOR 3D+ with oval rings (round rings are 100% available). The 3D+ has already arrived at my LBS and I'll be pickinng it up tomorrow. It will go straight on the ceramic BB30 bearings. I might post some pixs/comments within next few days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am wanting to mount a BTA style cage on the TM01 stem and was wondering if anybody had any clever ideas how I can do this (other than cable ties which will mark the surface)?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ponzi54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to fit a PraxisWorks conversion BB30 on my bike without any additional parts.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How ????? my 2013 Frame came with some non removable lips that avoid the installation of the conversión BB i had to buy some adaptors.
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [ponzi54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use a rubber mallet to hammer the cup in.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I right in thinking that with these BB30 bearings I just put the clips in then hammer the bearings straight into the frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcell_S wrote:
Am I right in thinking that with these BB30 bearings I just put the clips in then hammer the bearings straight into the frame?
Yes, with hammering part not taken literally :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, thats normally how I put bearings in? piece of wood and a hammer!
Never had one go wrong yet! approx 10 done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you. One might assume that they will line up against the spring rings perfectly and be all in-line - and perhaps it's not the assumption. Also that banging against the fragile carbon frame makes me nervous. Maybe I am too cautious but with 4 bikes (BB30 and PF30) and BB changed at least once per year in each - the cost of the tool is not that bad ($50 or so)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeh, I should get a tool really, but to be honest I've raced for years on a carbon 29er off huge jumps and big crashes and I have no bother about a bit of banging on carbon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear you. In normal ops carbon is strong as it's designed for loads in these directions. But I've crashed at the races few times on carbons and all good so far - loads definitely in non standard directions :-). Two guys told me that the TM01 frames are especially fragile. One of them cracked the frame when tightening FD. Indeed, I did see the seattube carbon flexing when mounting the FD. Cheers

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's when you start cutting into the carbon is when you'll encounter problems. The hammering shouldn't be an issue.

Timex
GU Energy
Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [corduroy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know which 'version?' of DI2 Ultegra a 2012 BMC Race Machine RM01 has? IE 6700?
Quote Reply
Re: Official BMC Time Machine Owners Thread [fabricatedyou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next