Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Big Kahuna Year FOUR
Quote | Reply
Well we are winding down to the very end of the year.

I plan to humbly submit for your enjoyment the fourth "Big Kahuna" Full Year ST points challenge tomorrow ...

We had 84 entrepid ST souls jump in during year 1--2011. 8 hit the gold standard of 18,000 points (1,500/mth) for a golden average of 9.4%.

Last year, year 2, we had only 5 of 143 participants clear the challenging Golden Bar. This equates to just 3.4%.

This year, year 3 it looks like we'll have 7-9 out of 144 participants get to the Golden Level.

Last year, the five golden level folks averaged: 718k swim/7188 bike/1593 run/876 hours.

I'll post final stats here shortly but I hope you join in the fun--obviously, intensity et al are very important but for all you folks who want to be held accountable for showing up everyday and putting in the time--all year---this is your challenge!

all are welcome! we have silver (15,000 points) and bronze (12,000 points) achievement levels as well--all are worthy of a concerted effort to achieve. Please come and join our community---The Big Kahuna 4 (2014) challenge will be up tomorrow!

Check back here after Jan 1 for stats related to the first three years of our challenge!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for teeing this up again.
Hopefully I'll make Gold again after missing out this year!

Coaching - Future Endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. 2013 was a highly successful year for me - only one injury and came within 25 seconds of my half marathon PR and 30 seconds of my 1650 PR (that's a swim race for you non fishes).

For those of you who haven't done this challenge, chasing the person in front of you on the spreadsheet is highly motivating. It's like 100/100 but it lasts ALL YEAR!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again. 2013 ended up being a year of 'meh' so I barely logged anything before giving up so with an IM booked along with some middle distance and HM's for 2014 I feel I could get that Bronze I so want badly!
Last edited by: chunkytfg: Dec 30, 13 3:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I'd be close if not over the gold level if I could just get around to entering my workouts. I kinda gave up logging them here many months ago. I'm more of a paper log guy so I've got them all recorded just not here. Oh well.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 37 points short of 18000 for 2013 as of today. That equates to an Ironman swim leg and I'm over the hump. Should be possible today! In for 2014
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in again, thanks for setting this up. It's a great motivator to dig through the challenges throughout the year to see how I'm doing.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the lazy category...... Those of you who have the ear of the log keepers.

Is there an easy way to pin this on going challenge to the first page of challenges. By sept or so one needs to go about three pages deep past expired and current challenges to find it (unless I am missing something which is entirely possible)
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think our best chance is to "book mark" year 4 Big Kahuna link. The reason I say that, is because the guy who designed the ST training log and challenge utility and implemented it, is not available any longer to do upgrades. My understanding is that slowman has an eventual upgrade planned to the entire log at some point.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 30, 13 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've joined - am very new to triathlon and only started training in mid-October.

Looking forward to seeing how I go - my coach puts my sessions in Training Peaks every Sunday so quite structured. About to go for a run - well when I say run, I actually mean hill work as am still recovering from a calf injury - and a pool swim

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In for 2014.

I was feeling mighty good in August when I started climbing from 65 to 48 place until I learned those previously in front of me we no longer logging their workouts. Still, glad to have gotten through '13 injury free if simply MOP among the Kahunistas

Such a Bad Runner
Last edited by: SBR_bestgoodbad: Dec 30, 13 13:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. If anything this will make me get the pool much more frequently. I'll shoot for Bronze and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [thugbuster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thugbuster wrote:
I'm in. If anything this will make me get the pool much more frequently. I'll shoot for Bronze and see what happens.

The safest and most time effective way to log a lot of points is to swim lots. It is pretty easy to bang out around 30 points per hour (3000m swim). To do that running, you have to run 7.5 miles, but most can't do that "as often" as swimming. On the other hand, you can run anywhere, any time, so running is more easily "accessible" if you have the durability to do a lot of running often. Cycling is the least efficient in terms of time, but you can log endless volume (if you have the time).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dev! Took almost 45 min off my IM PR (11:32) this year at IMCDA with consistency (BarryP was the backbone of my training). This year I'm going to up the volume and stay consistent to see if a sub 11 is in the cards at Whistler.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!!! 2014 is a big year for me, my first Ironman! Going big!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [jermon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in - where do you track the workouts......that gold standard looks tough!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's the formula for the point system?
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [jermon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jermon wrote:

1 point = 100 yd swim = 1 mi bike = 1/4 mi run

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
jermon wrote:

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [mex99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wanted to post a little advice about this challenge. It is great during the base/build phase when you need the motivation to log a lot of miles, but later in the season when you need to taper for race or recover it can cause you stray from your training plan. You know you need to taper but you look at the standings and see people passing you and you think maybe I can squeeze in an extra workout. My advice is to not to look at the challenge when your tapering, recovering or sick. Just remember it is really about racing well, not just logging miles. I say this because I did have some great races and PRs this season but I'm still annoyed that I missed Gold by less than 500 points.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the hell. I'll give it a go. Would have been close to silver status for 2013.

Randy
http://www.gulfcoasttriteam.com
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [Bifff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could not agree with this more.

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i hate having to track at 2 places but you've convinced me. :) I'll try it.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Big Kahuna Year FOUR [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
jermon wrote:

how about the metrics the rest of the world uses? :) same? 100m/1000m/250m?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply

Prev Next