Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hip MRI arthrogram anyone?
Quote | Reply
Crap. The less I've done the worse things have gotten. Doc has now ordered another lumbar MRI, and an MRI arthrogram of my hip. I'm OK with the straight MRI. I'm really anxious (scared!) about the arthrogram.

Anybody been through this? What can I expect? Hubby is out of town the day it is scheduled. Do I need a friend to drive me home?

My reaction was strong enough that doc prescribed some valium to take beforehand, but I'm wondering if I might be better off hitting the viocodin instead.

SHIT>SHIT>SHIT

PS. Did you know the psoas has a bursa? It's the largest in the body, and one of many possible dx right now is psoas bursitis. The other is labral tear. :-(

SHIT>SHIT>SHIT

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: hip MRI arthrogram anyone? [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup had one in Sept. MRA. The Dr. will first numb the area..no worries, just don't look at the needle, trust me i'm the biggest baby! Slight pinch and then within a few seconds you are numb. Then the Dr. will xray you as he inserts the contrast into the hip area..you will feel almost nothing as you are frozen. Maybe a little "pressure" but no pain. Then the fun part is laying in the MRI machine for close to 30 mins, they will give you headphones and you can listen to your favorite music that they play.

Were you already diagnosed with a labral tear? I have one that was found after the MRA. I have done a cortisone shot (helped for 5-6 weeks), PT not sure if it helped. I ended up having so much pain in my lower left region which is the same spot as the left labral hip tear. Last week I ended up having hernia repair surgery as they found out I had a hernia there. Maybe it will help with this hip pain, not really sure..just recovering now this week. Time will tell. Regardless I have now seen three surgeons for the labral repair surgery. Can't have it until March even if I wanted to due to Anthem not covering it...oh well. I haven't run since August..sux!
Quote Reply
Re: hip MRI arthrogram anyone? [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one done a couple of years ago. I found it to be no big deal. They had me change into their tie-string pants, no undies. I laid on a table, they exposed the necessary groin area but I was still covered for the most part. First numbed the area with a tiny needle stick. No big deal. Then they did the injection. But because I was lying down I couldn't see any needles, and didn't feel any pain. No big deal at all. The MRI then was just like any other MRI. Stay as still as you can so they don't have to redo it and prolong the experience. I felt fine afterwards. Drove myself there and back. I even ran back-to-back 5K's over the next two days. Don't fear the arthrogram. It is no big deal. Breathe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In terms of the arthrogram - depends on what makes you nervous. As others have said, typically you are numbed first - then the dye is injected via a 'live x-ray' called a flouroscope. If you don't like needles, just turn away, don't look at the screen, etc. Typically more pinch, pressure sensation than pain. I would say vicodan would be too much for the type of discomfort. Tylenol might be better, but pain is very subjective.

If the MRI's make you nervous (i.e. the need for valium) make sure you take the valium, vicodan will not calm you down. If you do take any drug, I would recommend someone take you home. Yes people drive on this stuff all the time, but if you don't take it regularly then you don't fully know how your body and reflexes will respond. Also you are going to be stressed regardless and it is sometimes nice to have a 3rd party there to hear instructions, sympathize, get ice cream, etc.

Regarding after care - this CAN actually be a bit uncomfortable. When doing an injection of this type they are 'overfilling' a closed space (your joint). There are many 'pain' receptors in the joint that are basically pressure sensors, this can cause pain in some people. I will say, I have had an arthrogram on my shoulder and felt a decent achy pain afterwards that was helped by very gentle motion - for the hip think gentle walking, water walking or just letting the leg dangle off the edge of a step.

There are bursa sacs everywhere - they are an amazing little creation - until they are irritated!

keep us posted

Quote | Reply
Several years ago.
Have you ever given blood? You know how you can feel the presence of the needle? I could feel that, but it was not painful.
You do not need a friend to drive you home. However, someone mentioned that they are putting dye into an already tight space - I would not plan any workouts for after the procedure, including maybe the day after if you can still feel the dye 'in' there.
Mine revealed psoas tendonitis and a slight labral tear. The psoas tendonitis was successfully treated with cortisone. Hopefully it's that and not a labral tear.
Many hugs and let us know how it goes.

ETA the only other helpful thing I can think of is that any amt of pain is worth being able to run .

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Dec 13, 13 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: hip MRI arthrogram anyone? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All, thanks for responding. I've been on travel and not able to get to internet until now.

TC, how was the labral tear treated?

One of the reasons I'm so anxious is that the "labral tear" thing is just a shot in the dark. Doc and PT don't know what else to do at this point. I discontinued all training, done all kinds of PT and muscle work, and still experiencing intermittent pain in my hip. And also other stuff related to the spine issues. The worst part is that in spite of a strength program, I'm losing strength in my hip.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wasn't - the psoas tendonitis was causing me the pain, and the labral tear seems to be asymptomatic.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had one about 2 months ago. Others described the procedure pretty accurately. I was able to bike the next morning. I tried to run that afternoon, but couldn't because it was too painful at the injection site. I think it was a few days before I could run again. Biking and swimming were no problem. I ran a marathon about 2 weeks later. Turns out I have tendonitis. I'm doing well with PT and graston. Hope it goes well for you.
Quote Reply
Re: hip MRI arthrogram anyone? [clairec2007] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm unable to SBR anyway right now, so that's not my primary concern.

I'm just scared of needles, and complications.... :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got back from a long day that started with a lumbar MRI and ended with the hip arthrogram. The needle part was fine, a couple of sharp sticks, and then the rest went fine. Waiting on results.

Thanks to everybody for your support.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad the tests went well, and fingers crossed for you that they find something treatable and fixable.

Quote Reply