Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've found the Dexcom G4 to be accurate for non-exercise, but considering my numbers are rather rock solid I don't gain much from it other than having one more device to distract me from real life. I wish interstitial values trended more precisely with my blood values. I've already learned to trust my feelings and senses over what the CGM says.

I feel the devices are still of great value and will probably be giving mine to my mother who rarely tests BG more than twice daily. She could benefit from seeing more of a trend and perhaps be able to connect what she eats to what that line does. If she doesn't want it maybe I'll put it on the classifieds.

There was a young girls blog that I stumbled across this year - she titled it "Texting my pancreas". I thought that was clever.

Where in Australia are you? (Just curious since it's -4 degrees F in Madison, Wisconsin)
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [non_sequitur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just perused this thread, kudos to all of you!

On a related a note, I'm curious if anyone has participated in the Tour de Cure New England or has any insight into it. Specifically, the 550 miler. I've decided to switch to touring in 2014 and, as I know my share of people affected by diabetes, this appeals to me.

Thanks in advance. I don't mean to intrude on the thread but at a minimum perhaps can raise awareness of the event:
http://main.diabetes.org/...id=9340&pg=entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry i didnt see your reply!
Im in Perth, WA....so we have been hitting near 40 degrees (celcius) here. So you dont find your interstatial values match your bsugar values?

Anyway, another small race report: West Aust. state championships, sprint distance.
Conditions: Hot. Bloody hot. Non-wetsuit and the water temp wasnt even taken- it was this way purely because of the outside temp. My wave was at 9pm which is late aswell.

118 males 30-34 age group
26th overall

Swim: 16:xx (67th)
Im a MOP swimmer WITH my floaties, so without my wettie i expected to struggle. The distance was slightly longer, but it mattered little. 2hrs prior i noticed my usual bolus wasnt bringing me below 7.5mmols, so i had 1 unit and that only got me to 6. Damn nerves/adrenaline. Before swim start i had a powergel. I suck at swimming.
T2: check bs and i was 9.8mmols. Didnt need nutrition obviously anyway, so all good as long as i dont go higher. My T2 time suffers a little because of testing etc and it costs me places, but im not kona bound here.
Bike: 31:xx (7th)
I rocked that beotch. Very happy on my trusty steed. Course wasnt too hard, some small rises/hot wind one way, but cant complain. I took 2 jelly beans, maybe twice throughout the ride. Didnt test on bike at this distance/speed.
T2: took my glucometer with me and tested while i trotted out of transition. 9.8mmols. No more nutrition needed for me here on out.
Run: 22:xx (32)
a Slow run for me but coming in 32nd out of my age group probably means everyone was suffering in the heat on the run. Some slight rises etc, nothing serious, again it was just the heat and hot wind.
Finished with 1:14, which isnt a fast time, but it got me 26th which suggests we were prob all struggling a bit. BS at the end was 5.3mmols, so landed perfectly.

Question time!
1) I can get away with sprints with minimal nutrition and assume most can and do. Does anyone jab themselves (bolus) in transition at short events due to the rises?
2) Do your blood sugars behave the same with 70.3's and sprints/olys? Or do the latter tend to spike your blood sugar more due to the intensity?
3) Anyone bolus during a 70.3 or even olympic? When and do you have to do it more than once? I think if i have another race where im hitting 9.8mmols in an olympic as an example, i cant trust muscle contraction/exertion to bring my blood sugar down naturally. I have been doing a lot of sprint type tri's lately and noticing that if i had to keep going, i wouldnt be able to take in nutrition without a bolus. But then i think on the flip side, if doing a 70.3, your intensity is lessened and blood sugar may behave and come down 'naturally' so i wouldnt need a bolus.
Im going to have to test in training, but i would love to hear from those who bolus during events, with how often, their regimine etc?
Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well i just got hooked up on a trial for 2 weeks on a dexcom G4. Sensor is firmly in my upper ass cheek! I calibrated, had trending arrows and then decided i would put it to the test for an hour run. Well it didnt go well. I had a powergel before i left and it took 20 mins before little dexy even registered a rise in bs. I figured i would roll with it and just keep going because the gel had caffeine in it, so maybe i am staying higher for longer. Wish i had my glucometer on me. Anyway, running along, i lose my trend arrows. I start to feel a bit woozy, not too bad, but dexy says 8.5mmols. I have a couple of glucose tabs because i dont trust it thus far. 15 mins later the readings start to rise again right u to 11.7mmols. I tested at this point because i finished my run and i was 3.9mmols. And now i have been given the ??? marks of doom. How annoying!

Its now working again, however had me steady at 4.8mmols, then a small rise to 5.4mmols over about 15 mins....i checked with my glucometer and im 3.8mmols. This thing not only missed a minor low, it was actually trending the other way. So far, these things are pretty shithouse.
How do people race with these things? The lag on them must be annoying? Do you lose trending arrows?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a difference in physiology between blood and interstitial fluid. Not only do you have to calibrate the unit, I think it helps to recalibrate during any period of differing physiological demand. (if that makes sense). The Dexcom reads accurately when I'm standing around doing very little, but once I start exercising I have to recalibrate. Now the trick is that whenever you recalibrate you should be in a steady state (not trending up or down). I found it frustrating as well and have decided it's just not worth it to me. I'd rather learn to trust my own senses. I'll keep playing around with it in the future. I'm wondering how successful other people are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im starting to think it isnt worth it either, especially considering we have to pay for it here in Australia (its $1800 all up). As i type this, its buzzing at me to treat a low of 2.3mmols, when im actually 5.7....yes thanks for 20mins ago as well as another recalibration inbetween dexy :|

Unless it improves to that 5 minute mark, this thing is crap for exercise for me. False trending and the lag is rediculous. Ill stick to the trusty accuchek mobile i think, and just keep testing on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I have done a couple of HARD anarobic rides in this week, the first since my T1 diagnosis in August. It does appear that going anarobic makes my bg go up.

Start ride at 160 and finished at 227.

It would appear I don't need carb intake for these short anarobic workouts since it pushes bg high.

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep this happens a lot and can be a pain in the ass. When racing, you can add adrenaline to the list and all of a sudden your blood sugar skyrockets. You have to be careful not to get too high. Some people can race upwards of 13mmols, but i find i really become lethargic above 11ish. Sprint distance racing you may not need much carbs.

Took the dexcom out again today on an easy ride. Started at 10mmols and spent 20mins in an upper tempo type of pace and i checked my meter and it said 4 mmols (tail end of insulin still on board) where the dex had 6.4mmol and dropping. I can forgive that due to lag obviously. Later on though im treating a 3.8mmols (glucometer reading) where dex says im 7.4 and rising. I envy the people who this device actually works for and race with. Day 2 for my trial, and its still shithouse
Last edited by: coates_hbk: Dec 20, 13 19:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My pump is now due for replacement and I have been offered the option of either a new Medtronic or an Omnipod. Anyone got any recommendations?

If I chose the Omnipod
- Waterproof
- No tubing
- Can insert anywhere I can reach with one hand

If I chose the Medtronic
- All the controls are on the pump, no need to carry an additional device
- integrated CGM

Having everything in the pump might be the key point for me. When I am doing something long, it's great to be able to just look at the pump, see which way I am trending and make adjustments. If I was running a marathon for example, I am not carrying my meter but I still have control over my pump. I think that might be a problem with the Omnipod as I would need to carry the controller as well.

I know some of you have an Omnipod - what do you do?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont have a pump but have looked into the medtronic and know a bit about the omnipod.
Firstly, the medtronic's CGM system is rather inferior to the Dexcom- in fact the lag time to match blood sugar is around 20-30mins. Useless in a race. I personally found the Dexcom's lag of 5mins useless. A lot can happen in 5 mins and thats assuming the trending data is accurate. I seriously wouldnt use the CGM as a selling point, particularly from medtronic.

Are you able to test drive a pump? They have programs here in Aus atleast where you can trial one for a while. If it was me i would go the Omnipod. Tubeless, waterproof, good times.
You may have better luck with CGM's than i did, but for our sport, it didnt work for me. Blood sugar changes too rapidly for it to keep up and the medtronic would be worse in that regard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
I dont have a pump but have looked into the medtronic and know a bit about the omnipod.
Firstly, the medtronic's CGM system is rather inferior to the Dexcom- in fact the lag time to match blood sugar is around 20-30mins. Useless in a race. I personally found the Dexcom's lag of 5mins useless. A lot can happen in 5 mins and thats assuming the trending data is accurate. I seriously wouldnt use the CGM as a selling point, particularly from medtronic.

Are you able to test drive a pump? They have programs here in Aus atleast where you can trial one for a while. If it was me i would go the Omnipod. Tubeless, waterproof, good times.
You may have better luck with CGM's than i did, but for our sport, it didnt work for me. Blood sugar changes too rapidly for it to keep up and the medtronic would be worse in that regard.

Actually I have been using an medtronic for 4 years and a CGM for most of that. Once you know what you are doing with calibration you should not have any worries about accuracy and I have it pretty much dialed in now. I found the CGM to be very useful in races that are longer than 3 hours. Trying to do a fingerprick in the middle of a trail ultra pretty much requires you to stop, but a quick look at the CGM lets me know how my BG is trending and if I need to eat or dial back the dosing.

I used to live in Sydney, but I am back in the UK now so I'm getting the replacement pump on the NHS which is nice. Good point about test driving the Omnipod, might see if I can do that and if having the separate component is a pain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ahhh you have had the medtronic before, ok cool. Im glad the cgm works for you, it was a real pain for me. I only trialled it once, and it was all over the place. Telling me im over 7mmols trending up yet my bsugar is 3.8. Tonnes of false hypo alerts, it was just a pain. Im fortunate that i dont have to stop to test, i use the accucheck mobile glucometer, it has 50 strips on a tape which circles around itself. Has the finger pricker attached to it. Its not ideal in that i prick on my aerobars and blood can splatter on bumps or i get an error message from not enough blood etc, but i dont have to unwrap a single strip and insert it into a machine and so on.
I hear great things about the omnipod, hopefully your local rep will sort out a trial one for a month or so
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

It took a few sensors before I got the technique right but since I was getting the sensors free (again, yay NHS) it didn't matter. By the time I got to Sydney and was paying for them myself I knew what I was doing. If people are starting off with cgm then some guidance would be useful.

I used to use the old accuchek mobile for testing on the bike but don't use it as my everyday meter due to the noise. Even using that one is a pain compared to a correctly calibrated cgm. I'm a meter kleptomanic so I might contact roche and see if I can score a free one and see if the new one is any better.

If I am running a marathon, I carry nothing extra, not even a meter. For shorter races it doesn't matter, for longer races I have a backpack and carrying a meter is not too much of a problem and a few seconds to test isn't a big deal either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a feeling i would rob need a few goes at the CGM. The educator basically stuck it in my upper ass and put some special clear tape over the top- of which i bought some fixamol aswell to cover. I had to download the info from dexcoms website to see how it all went. The educator said i am the first person she has seen that this has given bad readings for and been inaccurate. Maybe it was a dodgy site. Im allowed to have another go, maybe i should put it on my stomach or tricep. The educator tells me they are selling like hot cakes to athletes in general. Who knows. I found it a big let down, as like you, i was hoping i could race with it without the need for the mobile accucheck glucometer. Your right too, it is a noisy thing haha. I was testing on the bike and went past one of my mates on a tri one day. He yelled out 'whats so important that your texting during a race?!!'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had anyone else insert a canula or sensor for me - I have always done them myself. This means that I do all my insertions into my abdomen as I need both hands. that's one of the things that I see as an advantage with the Omnipod - I will be able to insert in a wider variety of locations.

Anyway, I believe that other people on this site use Dexcom so they should be able to give you some tips on how to get the best results. Once you see the results of a properly working cgm, you will be reluctant to go without it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Am I the only one that doesn't use a pump or take insulin at all during a race?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a 50k trail race(Frozen Sasquatch) on Saturday, my first ultra run. WOW, what an experience. I didn't really train for this beast and was just doing it because a T1 friend of mine challenged me.

My BG was 165 @ 6am(dawn effect) and down to 125 by 8am start. No insulin other than the Lantus I took at 11am the previous day. Breakfast was 3 boiled eggs and I had one Gu gel 10 minutes before the start.

A cold front came through overnight so the 8am starting temp was 9 degrees and even colder on the snow covered trails! BRRRRRR!!! This is was a 2 loop hilly course, total elevation was 5000ft of climbing.

I was so cold at the start it was unreal, my hands were stinging and going numb. But I quickly warmed up once we hit the first climb. It was beautiful out there, everything snow covered and peaceful. No real goal in mind, I just wanted to take it easy so I figured 6ish hours.

Nutrition plan was one bottle of Hammer Perpetum(2scoops) every hour plus Gu gel when needed. I carry a small backpack so I can stash my own supplies. So for the first loop I carried 3 pre measured sandwich bags of Perpetum(I always have one extra) plus 4 Gu gels. I refilled my bottle approx every hour at the 3 aid stations spread along the 15 mile course.

Things went pretty good on the first loop, made it through the check point around 3:06, not bad. Stopped at my car and put my supplies in my back then tested BG, it was 95 a little lower than I would like. I try and stay around 120-140.

Going into the 2nd loop I had a lot of dread as I wasn't really looking forward to running another 15miles and 2500ft of climbing! The 2nd loop was without a doubt one of most mentally challenging things of my endurance career. On the 2nd loop I saw only one other runner as I was in no mans land. It was mental HELL!! I tried to keep positive but it was difficult at times. But I kept moving and crossed the line in 6:38 and I was VERY happy to stop running!

BG at finsh was 115

Kudos to all you ultra folks, that was without a doubt one of the most difficult races I have every done! (and probably last ultra!).

PS- I ran an 8k race yesterday :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a question for any of you that have CGM's. I just got my Dexcom today and started using it, so I'm really curious how others are using them during training. I'm looking forward to having it in my jersey pocket while cycling, but I'm a bit undecided on how I'll use it during runs. I'm thinking it'll be great to have with me on treadmill runs, but not so sure I'm gonna want to take it with my on outside runs. I have a thing about running with a lot of crap on me, it just doesn't feel right. Usually I'll bring a gel or two and thats it.

I'm also looking for any tips or advice, different sensor locations, how long your getting sensors to last or any other good tricks or tips.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi folks, I haven't been on this thread for a while, and my apologies to those who kindly answered my question a few months ago. Its just that this is new, and I still am having a hard time accepting all of this. I've been in tri since 1990, always ate super healthy; rarely ate processed carbs/ sweets ...

Anyway here I am.

Don't have dexcom yet, trying to get but that might be a while.

Race and workout blood sugars range from 40 to 275 so need to check.

What's the easiest glucometer to carry for that purpose? I need something quick and easy, drives me crazy to see other people going by during a race while I fiddle with my usual device wrapped in a ziplock and strips in the little cannister?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

certainly changes everything, I will show you what I ALWAYS carrying with me on nearly every run/ride

-I use the Aphimpod belt to carry my GM,lancer and test strips http://www.amphipod.com/...cs/airflow-endurance
-I use the glucose meter because its small and fits easily in my belt http://www.medicalsupplycorner.com/...ite=pricegrabber.com
-I also almost always take this small backpack to carry gels and supplies as well http://gomotiongear.com/...o&products_id=17

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runnerwv wrote:

I don't take insulin during a race or use a pump. I did a half ironman yesterday and my levels were 15.6 prior and 13.8 after...sorry not sure what equivalent is in the american etc measurement. Happy enough with those blood test results, prob drank too much coke on the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info on the Bayer glucometer. It looks a lot easier to to carry than what I have now. As long as its accurate I'm going to get this model. Thanks so much for the tip.
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

I don't take insulin during a race or use a pump. I did a half ironman yesterday and my levels were 15.6 prior and 13.8 after...sorry not sure what equivalent is in the american etc measurement. Happy enough with those blood test results, prob drank too much coke on the run

Can u race well at those figures? its funny how individual this can be, i find anything kind of over 13 and im a slug
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Diabetic Triathlete Thread [Cppike79] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cppike79 wrote:
I've got a question for any of you that have CGM's. I just got my Dexcom today and started using it, so I'm really curious how others are using them during training. I'm looking forward to having it in my jersey pocket while cycling, but I'm a bit undecided on how I'll use it during runs. I'm thinking it'll be great to have with me on treadmill runs, but not so sure I'm gonna want to take it with my on outside runs. I have a thing about running with a lot of crap on me, it just doesn't feel right. Usually I'll bring a gel or two and thats it.

I'm on a medtronic pump so the CGM is no additional equipment other than the sensor. it didn't take long to get used to the pump being on my belt during an event.

For anything under 10km, just wear the pump/cgm. I don't carry a meter.
For 21-42km I may carry a meter in a spi belt but don't expect to use it.
Over 42km I am carrying a small pack anyway so carrying a meter as well doesn't matter.

I have the bayer meter (actually the newer model but the same size) and also the freestyle lite, both of which are quite small. Meter, lancet and a couple of test strips into a ziplock and into the spi-belt and I don't even notice it is there. the spi is also my race number belt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Locally, in the last month two teenagers have died from DKA and a friend of mine(and endurace athlete) was in ICU for DKA. I'm not sure I have my head wrapped around this thing

Have any of you gone DKA?

How common is this in Type1?

Quote Reply

Prev Next